E11, a new start of FiiO's portable amp ( added some real photo )
Jun 15, 2011 at 7:41 AM Post #1,113 of 1,326
I got to try this one out. I honestly wasn't impressed by the sound. Messy bass and ultra-recessed mids. Treble is decent, can get grainy.

All in all, a let down after the E7. I was surprised by its size, though, it was very small.
It's also has a lot more gain than the E7, a very loud amp considering how small it is.

It's a starter amp, at the price you can't complain, but those who have an E7 or better don't need it.

Jun 15, 2011 at 8:17 AM Post #1,114 of 1,326

Quote:
I got to try this one out. I honestly wasn't impressed by the sound. Messy bass and ultra-recessed mids. Treble is decent, can get grainy.

All in all, a let down after the E7. I was surprised by its size, though, it was very small.
It's also has a lot more gain than the E7, a very loud amp considering how small it is.

It's a starter amp, at the price you can't complain, but those who have an E7 or better don't need it.

Wonder if it comes down to the cans you're using?  With my SRH840's, I found the E11 was more pleasant tonally than the E7.  I also found the complete opposite - E7 (which can be cold) could sometimes get grainy on the AD700s, less so on the Shures, while the E11 added a touch of warmth to the highs, was great on the mids, and better controlled on the bass.

Which of your fine cans were you using Mochan?  Wondering if it has a bearing?

Jun 16, 2011 at 9:41 AM Post #1,116 of 1,326

Quote:
So is there any point in getting this thing if I already use a Teclast T51 / S:Flo 2?  I dunno I'm looking for some kind of portable amp but it has to be better than the T51... lol.

Sure. Actually the T51 is a great example of where an amp like the E11 can really help.  In my experience the headphone output of the T51 is fairly weak, so using an amp connected to the T51's line-out jack can provide a lot more usable volume. 

Jack

Jun 16, 2011 at 5:21 PM Post #1,117 of 1,326
So I'm looking for a cheap portable amp for under $100 and it seems the E11 would fit the bill. I'm thinking of pairing this with my rather flat Zune HD and into my HD25 - good idea? I need something that ups the top-end of the spectrum as well as more control of the low-end. I have read ClieOS' review and he says it's very transparent and dynamic-sounding especially with the high-gain settings, which in my opinion would come in handy for my setup. So... should I gun for it?

Jun 16, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #1,118 of 1,326
     Quote:
Sure. Actually the T51 is a great example of where an amp like the E11 can really help.  In my experience the headphone output of the T51 is fairly weak, so using an amp connected to the T51's line-out jack can provide a lot more usable volume. 

Jack

Ok, well I haven't needed to put the volume of of the Teclast T51 on max yet, I find it powerful enough for all the equipment I have so far, I guess I'll hold off on the E11 then, I was just concerned about sound quality not volume really, I see you have a DT880 and Senn650, I guess those are the devices the Teclast can't handle, nice to know the E11 can! Am I right? Thx.

/kiteki

Jun 17, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #1,119 of 1,326

Quote:
So I'm looking for a cheap portable amp for under $100 and it seems the E11 would fit the bill. I'm thinking of pairing this with my rather flat Zune HD and into my HD25 - good idea? I need something that ups the top-end of the spectrum as well as more control of the low-end. I have read ClieOS' review and he says it's very transparent and dynamic-sounding especially with the high-gain settings, which in my opinion would come in handy for my setup. So... should I gun for it?

I was hoping someone would pair up an HD25 with an ipod/iphone with the e11.

Currently I don't feel like I get that full sound my home setup gives me, while I'm not expecting miracle, I'm hoping the e11 can get a bit closer than with the inbuilt iPhone amp.

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:34 AM Post #1,121 of 1,326

Quote:
     Quote:

Ok, well I haven't needed to put the volume of of the Teclast T51 on max yet, I find it powerful enough for all the equipment I have so far, I guess I'll hold off on the E11 then, I was just concerned about sound quality not volume really, I see you have a DT880 and Senn650, I guess those are the devices the Teclast can't handle, nice to know the E11 can! Am I right? Thx.

/kiteki

Hi,

I sometimes feel it's more about headroom than absolute volume. What I enjoy is a sense of absolute effortlessness when the amplifier has good power reserves to handle the peaks and dynamics even if the overall volume isn't at maximum. This is part of what we perceive as "strain" when amplifiers get pushed close to their limits.

The DT880/600 is definitely tough to drive loud, and I also have some SoundMagic IEMs that are not that efficient and requires a good amount of power.

Jack

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #1,123 of 1,326

Quote:
I wonder if anybody tested E11 with re-262's and checked if there is any difference in sound when plugged directly into the amp versus using supplied TRRS-to-usual-3,5 jack converter cable.

I find myself intrigued by the design and reported sound signature of the RE-262's, also planning on getting an E11 for a "safe to lose (due to the low cost) carry-everywhere" amp.

HiFiMAN/Head-Direct's use of TRRS for balanced signal is interesting, but currently without a home (meaning the HM-601, HM-602, and HM-801 do not (at this time) support Balanced topology despite the TRRS plug on certain models of headphones/IEMs like the RE-ZERO, and RE-262. I'm curious to see what will happen down the road with that, but also find adani's question to be quite relevant to my interest in the RE-262. 

If anybody could shed some light on that topic, I would be appreciative.

Thanks,
-FLACvest

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:30 PM Post #1,124 of 1,326

Quote:
I wonder if anybody tested E11 with re-262's and checked if there is any difference in sound when plugged directly into the amp versus using supplied TRRS-to-usual-3,5 jack converter cable.

There is no difference in sound. The 3.5mm socket FiiO used for the E11 just happens to work like a TRRS adapter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back