E-Prototype by Flare Audio
Sep 14, 2022 at 2:58 PM Post #61 of 76
The issue with the flare e-prototype in materials is that it uses a non moisture resistant resin, hence the previous model crumbling by a user here. Resin typically crumbles when exposed to condensation. If this is to be made in a different material, I hope they use a better resin or even made in a lightweight metal.

Last edited:
Sep 15, 2022 at 12:44 AM Post #62 of 76
ABS plastic I understand to be compatible with 3D printers. The E-PROTOTYPE may have a barrel incompatible with current metal-machining technology.

Sep 15, 2022 at 3:57 AM Post #63 of 76
Nothing yet. Only to say it’s going to be available on indiegogo.

I wasn’t impressed with E-Pro. But I tried it because I own and appreciate their previous flagship and their return policy and customer support was always best on the market. So having in mind my experience with E-Pro and that I won’t be able to return their new earphones if I’m not happy with it, I’m pretty sure I’m going to pass those. Buying from Flare Audio directly was always a great experience, even when the product turned out was not suited for me.

So I suppose they gonna sell it directly later? Anyway I’m waiting for more details :)

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:08 AM Post #64 of 76
I wasn’t impressed with E-Pro. But I tried it because I own and appreciate their previous flagship and their return policy and customer support was always best on the market. So having in mind my experience with E-Pro and that I won’t be able to return their new earphones if I’m not happy with it, I’m pretty sure I’m going to pass those. Buying from Flare Audio directly was always a great experience, even when the product turned out was not suited for me.

So I suppose they gonna sell it directly later? Anyway I’m waiting for more details :)
They launched their whole earphone range on Kickstarter (R2A, R2S etc) back in the day, and they did similar fit the isolate earplugs. Think they are well established in the high end stage speaker world, but are generally cautious bringing more "niche" things to market. I'd imagine that is definitely the case after the relatively slow sales of the Pro 2HD (awesome though it was). No complaints have a huge amount of money to splash around these days.

Guess the E-Pro was literally that, a proof of concept that could be manufactured cheaply in house and sold to gauge demand. If they are switching back to metal shells, inside things like minimum order quantities come back into play, hence the crowdfunding.

All just guessing from me, but given how Flare have done things in the past, Indiegogo doesn't worry me.

Sep 15, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #65 of 76
They launched their whole earphone range on Kickstarter (R2A, R2S etc) back in the day, and they did similar fit the isolate earplugs. Think they are well established in the high end stage speaker world, but are generally cautious bringing more "niche" things to market. I'd imagine that is definitely the case after the relatively slow sales of the Pro 2HD (awesome though it was). No complaints have a huge amount of money to splash around these days.

Guess the E-Pro was literally that, a proof of concept that could be manufactured cheaply in house and sold to gauge demand. If they are switching back to metal shells, inside things like minimum order quantities come back into play, hence the crowdfunding.

All just guessing from me, but given how Flare have done things in the past, Indiegogo doesn't worry me.

And I wouldn’t mind paying for preorder on Indiegogo for their new earphones, if I didn’t try E-Pro before. I was so disappointed with both sound and design (yeah I know it was a prototype) that I will think twice before buying another without being able to return it. Price will be crucial of course :)

Sep 16, 2022 at 11:18 AM Post #66 of 76
And it’s just around a corner…

EBC073F4-5F55-41F9-BEAE-E3761BEC1039.png

Sep 30, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #68 of 76
Lordy.

Dear Flare, please just make a pair of nice IEMs for the Head-fiers, like the Pro 2HD but with better drivers and detachable cables.

Oct 2, 2022 at 10:31 AM Post #69 of 76
Anyone know when the crowdfunding is launching?

Oct 27, 2022 at 6:06 AM Post #72 of 76
What do we think, ladies and gentlemen?

+ Plenty of options and price points
+ Relatively affordable TOTL model
+ Solid casings, that won't tear
+ Detachable cables, at last
+ Berilyum driver option

- Not loving the design aesthetic, but not a deal-breaker for me if the performance / tuning are as good as / better than PRO2HD

Oct 28, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #73 of 76
What do we think, ladies and gentlemen?

+ Plenty of options and price points
+ Relatively affordable TOTL model
+ Solid casings, that won't tear
+ Detachable cables, at last
+ Berilyum driver option

- Not loving the design aesthetic, but not a deal-breaker for me if the performance / tuning are as good as / better than PRO2HD
Agreed about the design and also the reference to the PRO2HD. I have the Golds which are close to the 2HDs and they will take some beating for dynamic driver iems. I'm tempted to contribute but not totally convinced yet.

What puzzles me is that in their imagery they show the tips going around/over the bend in the ear canal similar to what CIEMs do. I had CIEM molds made for my Golds but eventually removed them as they were just not that comfortable. The mistake I made was I used a rigid mold as opposed to a silicon one. Do I want the tips inserted that far into my ears?

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 8:51 AM Post #75 of 76
If you have the e-prototype, is there anything new here sound wise? Or is it a better built model with detachable cables offering the same sound? Thoughts?
Some impressions starting to come through on Indiegoggo of the E-3D-1 model, which is perhaps closer to the final production versions, but still 3D printed.

I got gifted a set of R (aluminium body; Berilyum drivers) for my recent big birthday 🎂 🎈 🦻, so I am IN.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/flare-ears-mirror-image-sound/x/11290467#/discussion

Users who are viewing this thread

Back