E-Prototype by Flare Audio
Nov 30, 2021 at 1:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

all999

1000+ Head-Fier
Flare Audio just announced new iems called E-Prototype.

https://www.flareaudio.com/products/e-prototype

Screenshot_20211130-192008_Chrome.jpgPRODUCT-SHOT-INHAND_1000x.jpgPRODUCT-SHOT-5_1000x.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2021 at 3:50 PM Post #2 of 76
I've always bought flare earphones on release day. But my concern with these, as the name implies, is the fact they're a prototype, is this just funding a final, better version a few months away.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 76
I've always bought flare earphones on release day. But my concern with these, as the name implies, is the fact they're a prototype, is this just funding a final, better version a few months away.
But that won't be $341. :) Might be a better value than a bit better $499 one.

Nov 30, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #4 of 76
But that won't be $341. :) Might be a better value than a bit better $499 one.
That's true, also looking at the design. It seems they've reverted back to their user replaceable cable system, they used to have on their original metal flares.

Dec 1, 2021 at 10:29 AM Post #7 of 76
I'm also intrigued by these. It seems they've taken their innovation and what they've learned from their Calmer product line and incorporated it into an iem. Given their history, you can bet on an updated Pro version of these coming out in the near future that touts even better sonic performance, but when and how much more will they cost? I really wish they would get away from a hardwired cable and do something detachable or at least offer a balanced cable option. It is clear their audience is not us!

Dec 2, 2021 at 8:51 AM Post #8 of 76
***UPDATE - Review has been updated with impressions from using a second set of these IEMs after returning the first set due to bass issues.***

Firstly, for the price of £250, I've seen better accessories on IEMs priced ten times lower. All you get is a box, with a round hard shell case and three sets of silicone eartips in a paper envelope. Very poor unboxing experience. The earphones themselves are very light. I've got a number of 3D printed IEMs and they all feel substantial in my hand. It doesn't help that the cable isn't interchangable and is very thin. However, Flare Audio state on their website that they have stress tested it, but it's definately a downgrade from their Flares Pro cable. Looking at their website, it looks like the same cable that is on their Flares Jet earphones, which cost between £22 and £37.

With regards to the sound, these are bass cannons! I have now listened to two sets of these (one purchased and one loaner set). The purchased one was returned as the bass was too much on them. Also, with the supplied tips, the nozzle angle can be changed which can cause some issues with the bass. When using the second pair, I swapped the tips to a pair of Flare Audio’s own audiophile tips. This made these sound so much better. The bass was trimmed back a bit and this helped bring out more details in the mids and highs. After a while, I’ve gotten used to the warm sound signature and am enjoying listening to them.

I've inserted a few photos below to show exactly what you get.

Two close up photos of the earbuds.....
IMG_0303.jpg
IMG_0304.jpg

This is what happened when I was trying to wrap the cable to take the photos...
IMG_0305.jpg

This is everything that comes with the earphones.....
IMG_0306.jpg

Close up of the inside of the case....
IMG_0307.jpg

The only eartips included....
IMG_0308.jpg

And to finish, the outer box....
IMG_0309.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 2, 2021 at 9:08 AM Post #9 of 76
My pair arrived today and all I can say is..... Oh dear!!!!

Firstly, for the price of £250, I've seen better accessories on IEMs priced ten times lower. All you get is a box, with a round hard shell case and three sets of silicone eartips in a paper envelope. Very poor unboxing experience. The earphones themselves are very light, but feel cheap. I've got a number of 3D printed IEMs and they all feel substantial in my hand. These just feel like a thin hollow tube. It doesn't help that the cable isn't interchangable and is very thin. However, Flare Audio state on their website that they have stress tested it, but it's definately a downgrade from their Flares Pro cable. Looking at their website, it looks like the same cable that is on their Flares Jet earphones, which cost between £22 and £37.

All of this wouldn't matter if they sounded good. But... they don't. There's a bass bloat which just overwhelms. I was listening to 2Cellos version of Sweet Child O' Mine from their Dedicated album and the bass just overtook everything. I could hardly hear cymbal strikes due to the bass. One of my current favourite listens is Andrew Lloyd Webber's Symphonic Suites album. It's the first time I've actually stopped it playing. Instruments sounded accurate, but there just wasn't enough detail retrieval for me and when any bass kicks in, it just overwhelms things. I have a pair of the Geek Wold GK10 which also suffers from a bass bloat, but I can still listen to those as there are redeaming qualities in the rest of the music that helps. This set just doesn't have anything else, for me, to help it overcome the bloat and make it an enjoyable set to listen to.

I was hoping that these would be an improvement on their Flares Pro 2HD, but they are far far from that quality. Needless to say, I've already requested a return. Putting them up against the Blon-03 which is also a single DD, the Blon is streets ahead. As we know, the Blon is about £30 and not £250. Due to this, I don't think I would keep them even if they were at the same price as the Blon.

To be fair to Flare Audio though, they have followed up my return request immediately with a phone call asking for feedback, which I have given. They have said that they will test the set on their return to make sure it's not a manufacturing fault.

I've inserted a few photos below to show exactly what you get.

Two close up photos of the earbuds.....
IMG_0303.jpgIMG_0304.jpg

This is what happened when I was trying to wrap the cable to take the photos...
IMG_0305.jpg

This is everything that comes with the earphones.....
IMG_0306.jpg

Close up of the inside of the case....
IMG_0307.jpg

The only eartips included....
IMG_0308.jpg

And to finish, the outer box....
IMG_0309.jpg

Wow! That does look like a prototype! I know we all hear differently, but the lackluster build and cheap aesthetics combined with the mediocre sound is enough to cool my interest in these. Sounds like they used you as a beta-tester of this earphone without you knowing it! Kinda strange they would release something like this for purchase that isn't really ready for retail. Thanks for the impressions!

Dec 2, 2021 at 9:49 AM Post #10 of 76
Wow! That does look like a prototype! I know we all hear differently, but the lackluster build and cheap aesthetics combined with the mediocre sound is enough to cool my interest in these. Sounds like they used you as a beta-tester of this earphone without you knowing it! Kinda strange they would release something like this for purchase that isn't really ready for retail. Thanks for the impressions!
Yeah, I suppose they named it correctly - prototype! lol

Dec 3, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #11 of 76
Agree with the comments on the build quality and general impression you get after opening (mind came today). These look hand made, and not in a good way. They are a direct 180 from the meticulous design and feel of the Pro 2 HD (ignoring the cable), and unboxing is on par with a £30 in ear.

Sound wise? I'm hearing lots of bass, but it's not bloating or masking the mids for me. There is a lot of detail that gets pulled out in my usual test tracks (like the light click sound on the left ear around 20 seconds in to Palladio by Escala) that can get buried in a lot of my more expensive gear. Nice balance to mids, and the same sort of clean but not bright high end that reminded me of the original R2A. Very enjoyable listen so far.

Too early to tell yet, but I think of they settle down, the technology might have some serious potential in terms of creating a next gen model that will make some waves. This prototype feels way too unpolished in terms of build to be that IEM.

Last edited:
Dec 3, 2021 at 7:35 PM Post #12 of 76
Okay these don't seem to be that good and really a way to raise some funds for the next product. No accs. and that cable and the housing looks badly done and not just plastic. They should give the "beta testers" a big discount on the real thing when they come. :)

Dec 4, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #14 of 76
Agree with the comments on the build quality and general impression you get after opening (mind came today). These look hand made, and not in a good way. They are a direct 180 from the meticulous design and feel of the Pro 2 HD (ignoring the cable), and unboxing is on par with a £30 in ear.

Sound wise? I'm hearing lots of bass, but it's not bloating or masking the mids for me. There is a lot of detail that gets pulled out in my usual test tracks (like the light click sound on the left ear around 20 seconds in to Palladio by Escala) that can get buried in a lot of my more expensive gear. Nice balance to mids, and the same sort of clean but not bright high end that reminded me of the original R2A. Very enjoyable listen so far.

Too early to tell yet, but I think of they settle down, the technology might have some serious potential in terms of creating a next gen model that will make some waves. This prototype feels way too unpolished in terms of build to be that IEM.

During the phonecall with Flare Audio, it was mentioned that there possibly could have been a problem with my set. Considering that you did not get any bloat or masking of the mids, there may be something in that. It would be nice if Flare did follow up with me as to whether there was a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back