E-Prototype by Flare Audio
Jan 6, 2022 at 2:39 AM Post #31 of 76
In our latest article @nanotechnos checks out the e-prototype. Now on Headfonia!

https://www.headfonia.com/flare-e-prototype-review/

chrome_2022-01-06_08-29-57.png

Jan 6, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #32 of 76
Jan 31, 2022 at 7:19 PM Post #33 of 76
Just got them in. First impression is wow. Super bass cannon but really clear treble and great detail and separation. Again bass bleed into the mods but wow soundstage and bass like I've never heard in an iem.
Kinda like how I hear people describe the sony ire z1r. I like.

Feb 1, 2022 at 6:01 AM Post #34 of 76
Just got them in. First impression is wow. Super bass cannon but really clear treble and great detail and separation. Again bass bleed into the mods but wow soundstage and bass like I've never heard in an iem.
Kinda like how I hear people describe the sony ire z1r. I like.
I returned mine, it is kinda impressive if it was a $100 iem, but it is far from coming close technically to my totl iems, it is comfortable and really fun to listen to though

Feb 4, 2022 at 3:12 PM Post #35 of 76
I ended up buying the loaner set I had from Flare instead of returning them. After moving from the supplied tips to the audiophile tips, these are now my daily drivers. All of the issues I had with the sound from my first set have been solved with the second set and moving to the audiophile tip. I just hope that the non-replaceable cable is durable considering that they’re in daily use.

Feb 5, 2022 at 6:09 AM Post #36 of 76
I'm a Flare fan and have been since I got the R2As and moved on through newer versions until I stopped at the Golds. The comments here are interesting and this review below my post by my favourite reviewers might cast a bit more light on the sound of these and why you may or may not like them. As a classical music fan these might be my go to iems based on what I read. If you've bought them and don't like them I might be willing to buy them from you. I've yet to be disappointed by anything Flare has produced.

https://headfonics.com/flare-audio-e-prototype-review/

Feb 10, 2022 at 5:35 PM Post #37 of 76
I've got the Xelastic tips and if I get these they'll be the ones I'll use as I'll be guaranteed a good seal.

One review or comment I read somewhere talked about using these with a headphone amp and it being rather distorted and scractchy and the use of a Y splitter resolved the issue. That raised a question and it wasn't until I saw YT review that it was answered. I finally got to see the 3.5 mm jack and saw that it was TRRS. There are some amps that don't work well with TRRS. There was a small flyer that came with my Asgard 3 from Schiit that said to use TRS only or the audio would degrade. Fortunately, a simple connector will solve the problem and it's not an issue with my Burson Playmate 2.

I've posted this as a cautionary tale for those who might wonder why it doesn't sound anywhere near as good as it should.

I'm still ambivalent about getting these but the idea of being able to hear the deep raspy bass from a cello or double bass, the accurate slam from timpani, the low earthy tones from an oboe, clarinet or tuba or the ultimate test - the sound from a 32 or 64 foot pipe from an organ is very appealing.

Mar 2, 2022 at 8:17 AM Post #42 of 76
I just got mine in today, but alas they are not for me. They are incredibly comfortable, and I love how lightweight they are, but they are also very fit dependant and far too bassy for my liking. I hope Flare works on this more, they seem to be unique and something I want to work, but thats what I get for buying a prototype!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back