E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Oct 10, 2020 at 4:30 PM Post #1,336 of 1,967
Little update on how the Teak compares to the Zebra from memory.

On a side note I do want to say that I didn't listen to the Teak as long as the Zebra with the new SMSL-200 amp and Topping E30 combo, so the tonality improvements could still be due to me getting more familiar to my better gear and could have less to do with wood types. Never the less, I strongly suspect the Zebra wood having an even beter tonality than the Teak, or at least I prefer it. Between the Purpleheart, Zebra and the Teak so far I quite much prefer the Zebra wood. Again this could be because having paired the Zebra's longer to the newer gear. I will disassemble the Zebra wood later again from the E-MU's, and put the Teak wood on.

But I digress, the Zebra wood has this natural tonality in it's midrange that is a tad bit colder and more forward than the Teak. But it doesn't lose out on too much detail the Teak also has, though it does have a bit smaller soundstage. Essentially I find the Zebra wood has a lot of the best qualities of the Teak: it's tight, smooth and very detailed. Where things start to differ is that the Zebra has this more engaging and intimate signature that I really really like. It removes a bit of the laidback midrange and puts it more forward with it being ever so slightly colder. It rolls off the 10-20khz area earlier, and because of this the headphone is darker but not only that, gone is the slightly hot/spiky treble the Teak had in certain circumstance. This could be because the Teak is a less forgiving wood type, the Zebra definitely easier on compressed tracks at least. The highs are simply masterful here, they are the most natural highs I have listened to. Very smooth, impactfull and detailed. Bass volume, control, extension and impact relatively remains the same, though am quite sure the upper bass to lower mids are slightly raised here compared to the Teak. This adds the intimacy I believe. Lastly, it also closes in the soundstage, however to my ears the sound localisation is even better here. There is a stronger center image and I am quite sure I can pick out the layers within the soundscape better than the Teak.

Not trying to overhype the Zebra's compared to the Teak's just yet, because I again, will give the Teak's another round with the new gear and am sure to find surprises there too, but for now the Zebra's are the closest thing I have heard to a signature that is hard to criticise anything about, I am having a hard time finding a fault anywhere in the spectrum which in turn allows me to listen to them very loudly too with never reaching a point to where I feel a part of the frequency is bothering or fatiguing my ears.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 3:56 PM Post #1,339 of 1,967
Looks like my ears weren't so wrong after all: there is a good reason for the Zebra sounding so close to the Teak concerning detail. The inner cutting of the Zebra woodcups is identical to the Teak. In fact, all the cups supplied to me (rosewood, mahogany, purpleheart, zebra, bamboo) now have the same inner cutting of the wood as the Teak. In earlier discussions, it was hypothesized the inner cutting of the Teak cups contributed to it's superior sound. I don't think E-MU used to do this before with their other wood cups other than the Teak, am I right?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 21.54.33.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-13 at 21.54.33.jpeg
    294 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 4:43 PM Post #1,341 of 1,967
And another small update on Teak vs Zebra

To put them both in a bulletin summary:
Teak:
+Tighter, slightly better bass slam, bigger soundstage, better high extension, detail could be a bit better as the extended highs create this very speedy headphone.
-timbre is slightly off due to distant mids and is slightly too warm, treble is hot and can be peaky or lacking timbre, vocals not as intimate and weighty

Zebra:
+The more upfront mids, the better timbre in the lower and upper mids and the better integrated highs create a more wholesome frequency response. Can even sound holographic due to it's intimacy, closer to the HE-500 soundstage I'd say. Very natural timbre, leaning slightly to a dark and warm signature. Even more liquid than the Teak I'd say.
-It sounds a bit more loose and/or slower, and highs definitely roll off earlier. Soundstage is smaller and sometimes ends up missing some air or spaciousess for sounds to breathe in.

There will always be trade offs it seems, so there is no wrong choice here just preference. But for me personally, I am really starting to notice how the Teak, while amazing in it's own right might not end being the main wood on the E-MU's. On to the next update!

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #1,343 of 1,967
Looks like my ears weren't so wrong after all: there is a good reason for the Zebra sounding so close to the Teak concerning detail. The inner cutting of the Zebra woodcups is identical to the Teak. In fact, all the cups supplied to me (rosewood, mahogany, purpleheart, zebra, bamboo) now have the same inner cutting of the wood as the Teak. In earlier discussions, it was hypothesized the inner cutting of the Teak cups contributed to it's superior sound. I don't think E-MU used to do this before with their other wood cups other than the Teak, am I right?
I'm really interested in the rosewood and purpleheart comparison. I currently have the rosewood but was considering the purpleheart, I think they look really pretty as well. Also curious what cups are the matte and gloss finish in the pics?

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:10 AM Post #1,345 of 1,967
I'm really interested in the rosewood and purpleheart comparison. I currently have the rosewood but was considering the purpleheart, I think they look really pretty as well. Also curious what cups are the matte and gloss finish in the pics?
I only received the Teak and Mahogany in gloss finish, the rest is matte. I got these cups for free from Chan himself to review and photograph, so I think they mostly skipped the glossing phase as it is purely aesthetics. I actually am really liking the matte cups though. They leave little prints behind and feel nice to pick up. Gloss does accentuate the wood color and pattern better though.

Oct 14, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,346 of 1,967
How about the cable connector ? Is it 3.5mm like Beyer's and latest Hifiman's ?
They are like the some hifiman (2.5mm) but you have to watch out as some cables won't stay seated and won't lock in place, I ordered a cable that would fit the Hifiman's but did not fit the E-MU's.

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 8:38 AM Post #1,348 of 1,967
Thanks. Where can i find the picture of Emu's cables ?
I think these are confirmed to work and also got some great looking green braided cables:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hi-End-4...dphone-Cable-For-Oppo-PM-1-PM-2-/112494887190

not too expensive either. I will order one soon too... Right now am running a balanced XLR cable that Chan supplied me though. While the stock cable is very microphonic, it is a very light cable so it increases wearing the headphone comfort quite a bit.

included following words for search bar purposes
( which cables cable replacement removeable )

Last edited:
Oct 14, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,349 of 1,967
They are like the latest hifiman but you have to watch out, I ordered a cable that would fit the Hifiman's but did not fit the E-MU's.
I believe the latest Hifiman cables use 3.5mm connectors at the headphone end. The E-MU uses 2.5mm connectors. I used a cable intended for a Sennheiser HD700, and it works perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back