E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:04 PM Post #1,366 of 1,967
That is what I use, Eikon with Dekoni attenuation rings
First impressions, I think I like them w/o the rings better. Rings accentuate the bass nicely, but I feel like the Eikons w/o rings sound super neutral and clean, which is my preference. I'll have to do a similar test with the Teak cups instead of the Rosewood ones I currently have installed.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:06 PM Post #1,367 of 1,967
Will be getting some Eikon pads, already have the attenuation rings used with Dekoni Perf Leather (not a huge fan)

I am not a fan either, but I will say this about Dekoni; they are willing to work with customers to improve their products. That means they are good folks in my book. When they first came out with their sheepskin pads for the TH-X00, I was an early adopter and immediately noticed the alteration in sound quality, specifically the bass. They took the feedback seriously, determined what was missing, and tried to address it with attenuation rings which they sent out prototypes for further feedback. While they could never perfectly replicate the stock TH-X00 sounds, their reception to feedback goes a long way for me.

Last edited:
Nov 30, 2020 at 1:07 PM Post #1,368 of 1,967
I am not a fan either, but I will say this about Dekoni; they are willing to work with customers to improve their products. That means they are good folks in my book. When they first came out with their sheepskin pads for the TH-X00, I was an early adopter and immediately noticed the alternation in sound quality, specifically the bass. They took the feedback seriously, determined what was missing, and tried to address it with attenuation rings which they sent out prototypes for further feedback. While they could never perfectly replicate the stock TH-X00 sounds, their reception to feedback goes a long way for me.

Oh wow, good to know! I feel like the pads improve in long-session comfort but unfortunately, decrease that wonderful Teak bass I've come to love

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM Post #1,369 of 1,967
First impressions, I think I like them w/o the rings better. Rings accentuate the bass nicely, but I feel like the Eikons w/o rings sound super neutral and clean, which is my preference. I'll have to do a similar test with the Teak cups instead of the Rosewood ones I currently have installed.

I was the opposite. I got the TH-X00 (basically E-MU Teaks) for the exciting and colored sound signature. My TH-X00 uses ebony cups though, which actually makes it sound more clean.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:42 PM Post #1,370 of 1,967
I was the opposite. I got the TH-X00 (basically E-MU Teaks) for the exciting and colored sound signature. My TH-X00 uses ebony cups though, which actually makes it sound more clean.
I had TH-X00 Mahoganies already when I got the Teaks, I like these because they're less in-your-face and more polite and refined (for lack of a better descriptor) than their Fostex bretheren. And for those purposes, no attenuation rings w/the Eikon pads seems, at first blush at least, to be a better solution. But I'll have to give it more than a handful of songs either way to really decide.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:45 PM Post #1,371 of 1,967
I had TH-X00 Mahoganies already when I got the Teaks, I like these because they're less in-your-face and more polite and refined (for lack of a better descriptor) than their Fostex bretheren. And for those purposes, no attenuation rings w/the Eikon pads seems, at first blush at least, to be a better solution. But I'll have to give it more than a handful of songs either way to really decide.

That was actually why I replaced the mahogany cups with ebony cups, to tone down the excitement a bit.

Nov 30, 2020 at 1:57 PM Post #1,372 of 1,967
D7A86289-2F87-4825-94B1-756C1487A6E7.jpeg
F8B6FF13-CBA2-4757-9240-BC79DBE2DB19.jpeg

Dec 7, 2020 at 10:00 PM Post #1,373 of 1,967
Pad rolling done. ZMF Eikons in lambskin win for me. Tried a bunch of Dekoni ones - perf leather, leather, hybrid, perf leather TH-900 - as well as the stock pads. All good, but I REALLY like the comfort/sound combo of the ZMF pads. Gonna try adding the Dekoni attenuation rings to see what it does to the bass, which is kinda tamed - fully there, extremely clear, but tamer than it was with stocks.

Got the ZMF Eikon pads today along with their Co-pilot pad - man oh man, it's like this is how the Teaks were meant to be, both in terms of comfort and sound. Many thanks for the recommendation!

Dec 8, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #1,375 of 1,967
Dec 8, 2020 at 10:15 AM Post #1,377 of 1,967
I find the rings add back some bass, but closes it off more. I will have to try with the stock rings from the original pads.
Good to know, I’ll try it out later tonight!

Dec 8, 2020 at 10:17 AM Post #1,378 of 1,967
I find the rings add back some bass, but closes it off more. I will have to try with the stock rings from the original pads.
Did you dissect the original pads to get the rings out?

Dec 11, 2020 at 6:37 PM Post #1,380 of 1,967
But I digress, the Zebra wood has this natural tonality in it's midrange that is a tad bit colder and more forward than the Teak.

Long time lurker here.
I've been always wondering what the other cups would sound like since there's not a lot of talk going on about them despite the variety also increasing over time, thanks for the detailed review. Are you planning to review Emu's Purpleheart cup, as well? I believe that wasn't an option before.
If my memory serves me right Zebra wood happens to be what Denon uses in their ah-d5000 clone(?) aka ah-d5200. One thing that caught my eye in your review was the part about it sounding intimate which happens to be one of the reasons why people don't tend to like the tonality of the Mahogany too much, so it would be interesting what merits overall the Zebra brings to the game over that.

I was previously using a th-x00 with Emu ebony cups but I couldn't keep resisting anymore after reading all the good reviews and ordered a Teak in their place, it should arrive next week.
I have no idea what to do with the import fees, this is the first time I read that Emu declares such a low value, which is great, but customs here usually ask for a copy of the order confirmation e-mail, too. I guess I will just bite the bullet if it comes to that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back