E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Oct 1, 2020 at 1:43 PM Post #1,321 of 1,967
Did your stock cable look like this?
Yes, same noodles:jecklinsmile:

less forward.
Here is a link to where I bought them: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32952117215.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.27424c4d52addy
You should choose the 105mm version. They are not expensive at all but quality is very good. I have been using mine since February 2019.
Oh damn theyre cheaper than many iem tips lol. Just bought a pair of 105mm. Thanks!
If they sound anything as you described its bang on.
If not theyre cheap enough not to regret the purchase and my cats will have a new toy

Oct 1, 2020 at 1:48 PM Post #1,322 of 1,967
EMU sent me the headphones with an invoice declaring the value at 100 dollars, which have decreased the taxes paid considerably. They have done this without me even asking, so I am sure that you can request the same from them.
Thanks for this info :)

Oct 1, 2020 at 2:07 PM Post #1,324 of 1,967
Yes, same noodles:jecklinsmile:

Oh damn theyre cheaper than many iem tips lol. Just bought a pair of 105mm. Thanks!
If they sound anything as you described its bang on.
If not theyre cheap enough not to regret the purchase and my cats will have a new toy
LOL, I already have quite a few toys but no cat :k701smile:.

Oct 2, 2020 at 8:46 AM Post #1,325 of 1,967
I'm super curious and wanna own one but $500 is steep especially where i live. Returns are probably big headache as well. It's not like Amazon. $300-$350 would be more fair price for this in my opinion.

Oct 2, 2020 at 9:30 AM Post #1,326 of 1,967
I agree the price seems high. But that is probably only because I didn't hear it yet :D

Tyll's review of Foster variants rated the E-mu pretty high on the list and said it was more balanced than most of the other ones.

I paid $510 for my Fostex TR-X00 on European drop while the guys in America were paying like 300 or less...

Oct 2, 2020 at 10:37 AM Post #1,327 of 1,967
I'm super curious and wanna own one but $500 is steep especially where i live. Returns are probably big headache as well. It's not like Amazon. $300-$350 would be more fair price for this in my opinion.

I agree the price seems high. But that is probably only because I didn't hear it yet :D

Tyll's review of Foster variants rated the E-mu pretty high on the list and said it was more balanced than most of the other ones.

I paid $510 for my Fostex TR-X00 on European drop while the guys in America were paying like 300 or less...

I gotta disagree. For the build quality, the wood cups, and the expert tuning, I'd say $500 is a good price. They aren't the most technical headphones at the price, but the overall sound signature and the bass on them is just so appealing.

Oct 2, 2020 at 4:33 PM Post #1,328 of 1,967
I gotta disagree. For the build quality, the wood cups, and the expert tuning, I'd say $500 is a good price. They aren't the most technical headphones at the price, but the overall sound signature and the bass on them is just so appealing.
I second this. One this does well is combining beefy low end with airy open sound. I had dt1770 to a/b and sent dt1770 back. There was not much beyer did as well as teaks. Of course it is all subjective. But i dont regret paying asking price personally

Oct 3, 2020 at 2:43 AM Post #1,329 of 1,967

When considering the great headphones you can get around the $200 price point now, I agree that the jump in sound and build quality clearly has diminishing returns at this price level. As a consumer, I'd also say around $350 would be more fair for the Teaks.

That said, while that's what my ideal price for them would be, the Teak's pricing is quite competitive when considering what's actually available on the market. This kind of enjoyable, but well-balanced sound isn't common, neither is coming fitted with wood cups and being fairly comfy too.

In that sense, I consider the current pricing to be fair, because AFAIK, there's not really anything cheaper that has the full package the Teaks offer.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 7:47 AM Post #1,330 of 1,967
When considering the great headphones you can get around the $200 price point now, I agree that the jump in sound and build quality clearly has diminishing returns at this price level. As a consumer, I'd also say around $350 would be more fair for the Teaks.

That said, while that's what my ideal price for them would be, the Teak's pricing is quite competitive when considering what's actually available on the market. This kind of enjoyable, but well-balanced sound isn't common, neither is coming fitted with wood cups and being fairly comfy too.

In that sense, I consider the current pricing to be fair, because AFAIK, there's not really anything cheaper that has the full package the Teaks offer.
Thing is in this hobby there is really no way to quantify increase in quality of gear and judge its value.

I've not been in headphone game for too long as i only use full size HPs for desktop and its not my main means of listening.
But i have been into portable gear (iems, daps) for few years. Gradually buying more expensive gear.
I always said i will not go above £500 for iems, as after that the increase of quality will be less significant for money invested. But a after spending some time on mid-fi gear i always felt there is still something missing and curiousity to see how much better gear can get i pulled the trigger to go into summit fi level.
I have paid 4x over my set limit. And i can tell you i dont even want to look back.
No, the quality increase was nowhere near 4 times as the price would suggest. But that increase was enough to reach my end game for time being. Which as you know almost never exists as long as you have Head-fi account.

The only problem is when the time come to upgrade due to gear getting old, its very unlikely that i will spend anything less than what i already did. Unless market and tech goes through some groundbreaking changes.

Personnal audio gear is just getting more and more expensive. And by the looks of it flagship HPs or iems double in price every couple years. So that does not help judging quality by price. As flagships for 2k of two years ago has very incremental improvement over 4k flagship of today.

Of course there are always hidden gems somewhere in the market with excelent value for money. And from what more experience people say, Teaks are one of them.

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:01 AM Post #1,331 of 1,967
EMU sent me the headphones with an invoice declaring the value at 100 dollars, which have decreased the taxes paid considerably. They have done this without me even asking, so I am sure that you can request the same from them.

Oh, I just happened to send them a question via email few days ago asking could they declare a lower value to the package if I would place an order at some point... Good to know that it could be possible!

Last edited:
Oct 8, 2020 at 3:58 AM Post #1,332 of 1,967
So i am almost decided to add Topping a90 to my smsl m500 as it has 4.4mm jack for my iems. And would also allow me to run Teaks via XLR.

Anyone had luck finding decent XLR cable for Teaks? Dont want to go crazy on price. Something below 150 bucks. The less the better of course.

Cheers

Oct 8, 2020 at 11:29 AM Post #1,333 of 1,967
So i am almost decided to add Topping a90 to my smsl m500 as it has 4.4mm jack for my iems. And would also allow me to run Teaks via XLR.

Anyone had luck finding decent XLR cable for Teaks? Dont want to go crazy on price. Something below 150 bucks. The less the better of course.

Cheers

I use a Dyson Starquad cable with my Teaks. XLR and Mono 3.5mm connectors, though the stereo connectors sometimes work too. It's great cable at $55, and about the cheapest good option I've seen. Venus Audio and Periapt also make excellent cables that work with the Teaks, but they are priced closer to $100.

Oct 8, 2020 at 12:17 PM Post #1,334 of 1,967
I use a Dyson Starquad cable with my Teaks. XLR and Mono 3.5mm connectors, though the stereo connectors sometimes work too. It's great cable at $55, and about the cheapest good option I've seen. Venus Audio and Periapt also make excellent cables that work with the Teaks, but they are priced closer to $100.
Thanks a lot. There are some really nice option there.

Oct 8, 2020 at 3:13 PM Post #1,335 of 1,967
I would recommend the Hart Audio cable, I'm listening to my Teaks right now with it. It's just $37, but add $15 for the interconnect. For the Emu Teaks, you need the HC-7 with the "long" connectors. I love them, and the interconnects let me easily switch between my balanced SS and SE tube amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back