E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Sep 15, 2020 at 9:47 AM Post #1,291 of 1,967
Well, let me share my experience regarding the Teak's ear pads.

First, The original pads are the best undoubtedly, but I couldn't tolerate them for more than 30 minutes.
I purchased a pair of ZMF Eikon sheepskin pads as they were the most recommended replacement by far. When I installed them something went wrong. Basically, there was some kind of resonance that muddied the bass and lower mids. It was noticeably prominent in male voices as there was some kind of echo and reverb to them.
Next, I decided to extract the plastic attenuators from the original pads and install them on the Eikons to mitigate the issue. However, the was no apparent improvement compared to the Eikons alone.

As the problem was resonance-related, I decided to add some kind of absorbent material to the attenuation ring to see what will happen. I used a sheet of adhesive felt, the one children use for crafts and available in any stationery, and I cut it with a blade using the rings a template. I attached it to the rings and installed the pads. To my surprise, this has solved the resonance predicament completely. The bass regained control and mids became clear without any murky aspects. Although the mid-range is still a tad recessed, I think this can be ascribed to the height of the Eikon pads, which places the drivers further from where they were intended by design.

Currently, I waiting for the arrival of 2 pairs of pads from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000090876956.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e8e4c4dVLUQqZ and https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000520417437.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e8e4c4dVLUQqZ as they are less thick than the Eikons. I will experiment with them when they arrive and update.

Sep 15, 2020 at 10:22 AM Post #1,292 of 1,967
Well, let me share my experience regarding the Teak's ear pads.

First, The original pads are the best undoubtedly, but I couldn't tolerate them for more than 30 minutes.
I purchased a pair of ZMF Eikon sheepskin pads as they were the most recommended replacement by far. When I installed them something went wrong. Basically, there was some kind of resonance that muddied the bass and lower mids. It was noticeably prominent in male voices as there was some kind of echo and reverb to them.
Next, I decided to extract the plastic attenuators from the original pads and install them on the Eikons to mitigate the issue. However, the was no apparent improvement compared to the Eikons alone.

As the problem was resonance-related, I decided to add some kind of absorbent material to the attenuation ring to see what will happen. I used a sheet of adhesive felt, the one children use for crafts and available in any stationery, and I cut it with a blade using the rings a template. I attached it to the rings and installed the pads. To my surprise, this has solved the resonance predicament completely. The bass regained control and mids became clear without any murky aspects. Although the mid-range is still a tad recessed, I think this can be ascribed to the height of the Eikon pads, which places the drivers further from where they were intended by design.

Currently, I waiting for the arrival of 2 pairs of pads from Aliexpress https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000090876956.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e8e4c4dVLUQqZ and https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000520417437.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.2e8e4c4dVLUQqZ as they are less thick than the Eikons. I will experiment with them when they arrive and update.
Interesting experience. I'm using a pair of Dekoni Fenestrated Sheepskin pads w/attenuation rings (TH-900 pads, not the TH-X00) and they sound and feel quite excellent.

Sep 15, 2020 at 1:32 PM Post #1,294 of 1,967
What are the changes compared to stock pads? Been eyeing dekoni fenestrated one too.
Bass is reduced slightly, soundstage is opened a decent bit (on the 900 pads, not the X00 pads), comfort is improved about six thousand percent. All in all, to my ears (which are not to be trusted), it sounds nearly the same - bass is still powerful (perhaps not "basshead" levels, but the Teak is less of a basshead solution than the X00s, so I'm not that terribly concerned), the low stuff on Pink Floyd's 'Pulse' reverberates beautifully, and it sounds more open.

YMMV of course, but I've gone through a handful of the X00 Dekoni pads (regular sheepskin, hybrid) and the TH-900 Fenestrated pads are very compelling.

Sometime I need to go through and test side-by-side the different Dekoni pads, but for right now the ones that I'm using are scratching the itch nicely.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:28 PM Post #1,295 of 1,967
Bass is reduced slightly, soundstage is opened a decent bit (on the 900 pads, not the X00 pads), comfort is improved about six thousand percent. All in all, to my ears (which are not to be trusted), it sounds nearly the same - bass is still powerful (perhaps not "basshead" levels, but the Teak is less of a basshead solution than the X00s, so I'm not that terribly concerned), the low stuff on Pink Floyd's 'Pulse' reverberates beautifully, and it sounds more open.

YMMV of course, but I've gone through a handful of the X00 Dekoni pads (regular sheepskin, hybrid) and the TH-900 Fenestrated pads are very compelling.

Sometime I need to go through and test side-by-side the different Dekoni pads, but for right now the ones that I'm using are scratching the itch nicely.
Thanks for the comparison. I dont think im having trouble with comfort on stock pads. Apart from them getting quite sweaty on warm days. Coming from velour padded on dt770 it can be felt..

Also i like where bass is with stock pads. While i absolutely would love to have more soundstage. Not sure how much subbass i need to trade in. I really dont care if it looses a bit more mid bass though.
At the moment i have 3 options sticking out. Its Dekoni fenestrated sheep skins, Lawtons, Dekoni velours.

Just jumping into pad rolling so not much experience here.

But definately getting some aftermarket pads

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:31 PM Post #1,296 of 1,967
I tried a number of ZMF, Dekoni and Brainwavz pads, but these Accessory House stock replacements are my favorite ones (I'm also using the Dekoni attenuation rings with them). I have a Lawton-modded Teak so YMMV, but the bass is rich and creamy but the mids and highs are clear and not at all recessed. I am going to try some ZMF suede pads that are shaped the same to compare.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:42 PM Post #1,297 of 1,967
I tried a number of ZMF, Dekoni and Brainwavz pads, but these Accessory House stock replacements are my favorite ones (I'm also using the Dekoni attenuation rings with them). I have a Lawton-modded Teak so YMMV, but the bass is rich and creamy but the mids and highs are clear and not at all recessed. I am going to try some ZMF suede pads that are shaped the same to compare.
Did you have a chance to try stock teaks before lawton mod? Wonder what improved. Also did you use any of lawton cups?

Seems like regardless what pads you go with atteniation ring is a must.

Sep 15, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #1,298 of 1,967
Did you have a chance to try stock teaks before lawton mod? Wonder what improved. Also did you use any of lawton cups?

Seems like regardless what pads you go with atteniation ring is a must.
I bought them used, and they'd already had the full Lawton mod (cups, cup dampening and driver dampening). I planned to open them up and remove the cup dampening to bring back more bass, but once I heard them I didn't want to mess with anything - it was just so good. They're far and away my favorites at the moment. I baby them though, because the screw-thing broke within hours of getting them.

I am constantly keeping my eye out for another EMU or TH-X00 to experiment on, but the prices are nuts these days.

Sep 21, 2020 at 10:24 PM Post #1,299 of 1,967
Got some teak wood cups from @Nemesis9! Slightly deeper than the stock emu cups, and just lovely! Sounds fantastic, with slightly more seal than stock. :)

IMG_1077.jpg
IMG_1078.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg

Sep 22, 2020 at 12:08 AM Post #1,300 of 1,967
deleted

Last edited:
Sep 25, 2020 at 1:55 AM Post #1,304 of 1,967
Got these recently directly from E-MU. It's been hard reaching for my other headphones, the sound is such a delight and easy to listen for hours. It doesn't have the detail of something like the DT1990, but it's got enough to be a step-up from < $200 stuff. Like others, I'm a bit iffy on the pad fit, but the pad cushioning is just the right firmness for me.

If there was one complaint, it'd be that I wish the upper mids were a little less distant, but I guess that's part of what makes these sound laid-back.

They're loud enough on a smartphone, but I'm finding that amping improves the bass slam and tightens things up a bit. Speaking of the bass, that is really some addictive stuff. The low-end response is excellent and well-controlled. On some tracks it even sounds bass-light, but then stuff like electronic music just hits so hard and deep.

Sep 30, 2020 at 7:55 PM Post #1,305 of 1,967
Got these in yesterday and this is the sound I've been missing after listening to several open backs and planars! Any suggestions for pads which won't mess with the bass response but improve comfort? Been reading about the ZMF Eikon Hybrids! Also, any reputable custom cable shops which could help replace the less-than-ideal stock cable?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back