E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Aug 15, 2020 at 12:11 PM Post #1,276 of 1,967
I received the Accessory House pads. The leather & padding are a step up in comfort. The opening is actually a bit smaller than the stock. I wish I could say they sounded the same as stock, but unfortunately (with the Dekoni attenuators) they are a a bit more closed & congested sounding. Bass is not as authoritative, soundstage a tad smaller & treble clarity reduced. Close, but not quite as good as stock.

I was looking at my EMU pads today after some disassembly and it does look indeed different from the usual Fostex pads; looks more like a plastic piece with an ear shaped hole cutout and fabric glued on. Is the leather pad glued onto that plastic as well? Like is it all one piece? I couldn’t really tell as I didn’t remove it from the other plastic ring that holds the pads.

Aug 22, 2020 at 4:50 AM Post #1,277 of 1,967
Quick note about pads - there was a drop last year i think when they came with lamb skip pads. These are simply amazing. I dont find the original pleather pads uncomfortable, but the lamb skin ones are much much better. If you guys are looking for replacement pads, I think these would be the best option since they actually improve the sound imo.
I have no idea if Chan still offers them, but you can ask.

Also, i'm glad to see people still ordering these and enjoying them in 2020. I've had mine for 2+ years now and i'm still very happy with them.

And if you have some worries about shipping or reply delays from Chan, do not worry, he is an awesome man in my experience but he handles a lot personally so that's why he might reply with a delay sometimes. When I ordered them back in 2018 there was no website, only massdrop and I found his email somewhere on this forum. At some point when the headphones were at customs in my country i needed a receipt that was missing from the packaging and I email him with an "urgent" tag and he called me in a few minutes and sent the doc, I think it was 2 o'clock at night in Singapore. And after about 8 months, because i'm stupid and i dropped them from my desk, a few days later one of the drivers stopped working - I emailed him, sent them under warranty for repairs, they replaced both drivers and said that one of the cups had a micro fissure and replaced the cups as well. He also sent another cable probably by mistake because i did not send the cable. I just paid for shipping from me to him and for the lamb skins pads ($50 i think). So, in my experience, he's an awesome man. And so are the headphones.

Aug 22, 2020 at 7:55 AM Post #1,278 of 1,967
Quick note about pads - there was a drop last year i think when they came with lamb skip pads. These are simply amazing. I dont find the original pleather pads uncomfortable, but the lamb skin ones are much much better. If you guys are looking for replacement pads, I think these would be the best option since they actually improve the sound imo.
I have no idea if Chan still offers them, but you can ask.

Also, i'm glad to see people still ordering these and enjoying them in 2020. I've had mine for 2+ years now and i'm still very happy with them.

And if you have some worries about shipping or reply delays from Chan, do not worry, he is an awesome man in my experience but he handles a lot personally so that's why he might reply with a delay sometimes. When I ordered them back in 2018 there was no website, only massdrop and I found his email somewhere on this forum. At some point when the headphones were at customs in my country i needed a receipt that was missing from the packaging and I email him with an "urgent" tag and he called me in a few minutes and sent the doc, I think it was 2 o'clock at night in Singapore. And after about 8 months, because i'm stupid and i dropped them from my desk, a few days later one of the drivers stopped working - I emailed him, sent them under warranty for repairs, they replaced both drivers and said that one of the cups had a micro fissure and replaced the cups as well. He also sent another cable probably by mistake because i did not send the cable. I just paid for shipping from me to him and for the lamb skins pads ($50 i think). So, in my experience, he's an awesome man. And so are the headphones.
Great to hear this, makes me feel a little better if something were to ever happen. I love these headphones and I’ve been keeping good care of them.

Aug 25, 2020 at 3:48 AM Post #1,279 of 1,967
Gonna get a pair of the teak soon and just wondering what portable amp would you guys recommend? My DAP is the A&K SR25 which most likely won't have that much juice to power them. Thanks in advance for your replies & suggestions.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:40 AM Post #1,281 of 1,967
Gonna get a pair of the teak soon and just wondering what portable amp would you guys recommend? My DAP is the A&K SR25 which most likely won't have that much juice to power them. Thanks in advance for your replies & suggestions.
My dx228 drives it without any issues.
On high gain It actually sounds very impressive and not just barely drives it.
I would say even mid gain would work well enough. So even if your Dap is less powerfull dont worry at all.

Aug 25, 2020 at 5:46 AM Post #1,282 of 1,967
My dx228 drives it without any issues.
On high gain It actually sounds very impressive and not just barely drives it.
I would say even mid gain would work well enough. So even if your Dap is less powerfull dont worry at all.

Thanks for your reply Skullar. I tried it with the SR25 and needed to push the volume quite high. Maybe I'll change the cable to 2.5 balanced and get more power.

Aug 25, 2020 at 7:27 AM Post #1,283 of 1,967
Thanks for your reply Skullar. I tried it with the SR25 and needed to push the volume quite high. Maybe I'll change the cable to 2.5 balanced and get more power.
Go for balanced always. More power = always sounds better. Even if not required for max volume.

Edit;
The above goes for daps mainly. As for desktop gear you might get into issues with too high output impedance on balanced.
And that is generally speaking. There are excetions of course.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2020 at 11:30 AM Post #1,288 of 1,967
What material of Eikon pads do people suggest? I have some Dekoni options, and attenuation rings, but after reading that Eikons are the best option, I'd be curious to try them.

Sep 14, 2020 at 1:39 PM Post #1,290 of 1,967
Let me know how they sound. Im on market for pads as well. Got eyes on lawton pads but not sure yet.
Right now have the TH-900 Fenestrated Sheepskin Dekoni pads on it, listening to Pulse by Pink Floyd, and they sound amazing... can't really get into more detail than that, unfortunately, but the soundstage seems opened up a bit and the bass is powerful and clean.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back