E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Oct 1, 2017 at 12:48 PM Post #796 of 1,969
Hi guys,

I've been trying all day to get adjusted to the stock pads without avail. If I spend about 3-5 min adjusting the pads, 50% of the time I can get them just right so my earlobes don't hurt, but then my hair mats down a little with headphone pressure and suddenly they're misaligned, and my ears hurt. I needed the Dekoni pads, but they just didn't sound the same as stock. The pads with the attenuation rings sounded worse (a bit less bass, muffled/recessed midrange) and the pads without the attenuation rings sounded just different (less bass, slightly thinner midrange, but bigger soundstage).

I spent some time thinking about what was making the oh-so-comfortable Dekoni sheepskin pads and attenuation ring sound worse than the stock pads. A few posts above, I threw out my hypothesis that the attenuation rings are "too thin and too flimsy, and there isn't a mesh cover around the pad opening [like on the stock pads]. The former is affecting higher frequencies than the stock attention rings, and the latter is causing more reflections than desired."

Well, I had a ton of felt tape left over from doing the fuzzor mod for my M1060, so I tried something today. Voila:

Junki's felt mod for the Dekoni attenuation ring:

FBzu3cU.jpg

Basically, I cut felt tape such that it covers the exposed plastic of the attenuation ring. My reasoning was that this improves the attenuation ring in two ways: it adds thickness, which helps resonate with the bass frequencies better, and the felt adds dampening to better filter the midrange frequencies and upwards, resulting is less resonance, which results in less "muffledness."

Turns out my reasoning was correct. These sound awesome. I did some hardcore A/B listening and I can't tell the difference between these and stock anymore. The mids cleared up, has proper body now, and separation is very clear. I think soundstage actually improved compared to stock. The bass also improved both in quantity as well as texture compared to without the felt.

I'm pretty happy and I wanted to share this with the community.

Extremely interesting post. How thick is this felt tape? Brand?

And your attenuator rings (the plastic ones)--where did you get those? The earhole cutout appears centered, vs the offset earhole of my Dekoni Attenuators; that's why I asked.

As for your specific earpads, I clicked the link you provided in a post above and got the usual Massdrop array of a 1/2 dozen different Dekoni pads (their line of pad is deeply confusing to me--all those names that don't really describe construction). Anyway, I ended up googling your description ("elite sheepskin ear pad") and got this Amazon link:

https://www.amazon.com/Dekoni-Audio-Sheepskin-Beyerdynamic-Headhones/dp/B01N02FMFC

Those pads look to be oval-ish, but probably go on the round E-Mu Teak earcup readily; and they have a centered, round earhole. They look slightly deeper/thicker than the stock Teak pads; appear non-angled; and I'm guessing are very similar in dimension to the Brainwavz round pleather pads I tried w/the Teaks.

I approached this somewhat differently--by cutting out a thin pressed paper backing layer (from the stiff backing of a pad of 8.5" X 11" paper), using the Dekoni attenuator as a template. Then I put that backing layer behind the Dekoni attenuator (w/earholes alighned, of course). I should have gotten a lot of the benefit you did, but sorta didn't. Or maybe I did but just didn't know it, because I never tested the Brainwavz rounds without the Dekoni attenuator ring + paper backing layer. I did find that the soundstage was very noticeably better w/Brainwavz rounds vs stock; you seem to find the same thing.

This all gets pretty confusing. But your results seem unequivocal. If they sound awesome w/your aftermarket pads + modded attenuator ring on vs stock, then home run for you.

Oct 1, 2017 at 1:25 PM Post #797 of 1,969
How thick is this felt tape? Brand?

They are these on Amazon.

your attenuator rings (the plastic ones)--where did you get those? The earhole cutout appears centered, vs the offset earhole of my Dekoni Attenuators

They are the standard, offset Dekoni Attenuation Rings. They look centered in my picture for some reason, probably due to the trickery of depth perception. Here's an eBay listing of the same rings as mine.

Those pads look to be oval-ish, but probably go on the round E-Mu Teak earcup readily; and they have a centered, round earhole. They look slightly deeper/thicker than the stock Teak pads; appear non-angled

Nope, the pads I am using are the Dekoni sheepskins for TH-X00, which are angled not centered. Here is a link to an eBay listing of them.

your results seem unequivocal

I love my E-MU Teak now. With the felt mod, it sounds like stock with a slightly wider soundstage. That's how I can best describe it. I would also caution that felt and paper are not going to have the same effect. Paper is actually going to resonate relatively high frequencies due to its smooth contact surface, whereas felt would absorb those frequencies.

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 2:54 PM Post #798 of 1,969
That felt tape idea may fix my issue.

I also got Dekoni Velour version w rings yesterday on Massdrop, will try w tape, once they arrive, hope that will fix these 9hz pikes

Also Dekoni tape-modified rings may have big impact while installed with Brainwavz round pads.

Oct 1, 2017 at 3:18 PM Post #799 of 1,969
That felt tape idea may fix my issue.

I also got Dekoni Velour version w rings yesterday on Massdrop, will try w tape, once they arrive, hope that will fix these 9hz pikes

Also Dekoni tape-modified rings may have big impact while installed with Brainwavz round pads.

You final sentence is the same thought I had. Gave away my Brainwavz rounds last week.

If there's anyone out there w/Brainwavz rounds + attenuator rings who could test this theory...?

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:07 PM Post #801 of 1,969
I will be able in a month when Dekoni rings is delivered with Velour pads.

Just keep in mind that yours won't be an apples-to-apples comparison with mine. You can certain compare your velour pads with and without my attenuation mod, but velour pads are going to significantly change the sound signature of these bass-y semi-open cans (in the direction of less bass, forward treble, more soundstage).

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:23 PM Post #802 of 1,969
Just keep in mind that yours won't be an apples-to-apples comparison with mine. You can certain compare your velour pads with and without my attenuation mod, but velour pads are going to significantly change the sound signature of these bass-y semi-open cans (in the direction of less bass, forward treble, more soundstage).
Sure, I just want to get rid of that horrible treble pikes w Velour.

BTW, do you know if pads from Fostex 900 work w EMU Teaks and 00X?

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #803 of 1,969
Sure, I just want to get rid of that horrible treble pikes w Velour.

BTW, do you know if pads from Fostex 900 work w EMU Teaks and 00X?

A guess--but I believe those pads will work, in the sense that they are ~100mm in diameter and should accept the white retainer ring + aftermarket attenuator ring.

But now I want to address "that horrible treble spike" you mention. Not clear what conditions you're listening in -- whether it's stock pads vs something else; amp used; DAC used, and so on. But I have to say in defense of the Teaks: with stock pads, I got really big-time, enjoyable sound out of them on 2 amps, the Liquid Carbon & the Lake People G109-A (especially the G109-A). On those 2 amps (but not on a couple others), the Teaks' bass was extremely impactful & deep; and that treble spike was reduced to the point it became a pleasurable sonic ingredient, rather than a nail-in-the-skull. I was also using a multi-bit DAC (Audio GD NOS 19) that is the least bright, "digital" sounding DAC I've ever heard.

I think the Teaks are voiced to be bassy & organic (they sure are), plus a little sparkly in the upper midrange. I could lower that sparkle to the "this feels good" range w/the right amp, also w/1-2 aftermarket pads. But it never goes away, because that's how they are made to sound.

So back to your setup: I'd look for either an amp that's on the "clinical" side, and/or a DAC that's that way--maybe both.

Oct 1, 2017 at 5:55 PM Post #804 of 1,969
"that horrible treble spike"
Stock pads vs Brainwavz Velour Round(w and w/o attenuator rings, no difference)
DAC/AMP is Audeze Deckard, since I dont have anything else in hand right now. Deckard Amp w Deckard DAC and Deckard Amp w MSI x370 GAMING PRO CARBON DAC(built in motherboard DAC, which is, on my opinion is great). I dont know what DAC is there, they dont disclose, except it supports DSD and 32/192. Dont find significant difference between this DAC and Audeze one.
But my new G109 and Burson Conductor arriving later next week so I can see what I actually prefer so I can leave just one piece of equipment

Last edited:
Oct 1, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #805 of 1,969
Wow--it's raining amps!

I got the absolute best sound out of the Teaks on the G109-A/single-ended. 2nd best out of the LC/balanced.

BTW, this sound of the Teaks is not "too little/too much power" thing: I'd guess any decent DAP could drive the Teaks satisfactorily. It's something else--how the amp itself is "voiced."

Oct 2, 2017 at 10:12 AM Post #807 of 1,969
Hi guys,
Well, I had a ton of felt tape left over from doing the fuzzor mod for my M1060, so I tried something today. Voila:
Junki's felt mod for the Dekoni attenuation ring:
FBzu3cU.jpg

Basically, I cut felt tape such that it covers the exposed plastic of the attenuation ring. My reasoning was that this improves the attenuation ring in two ways: it adds thickness, which helps resonate with the bass frequencies better, and the felt adds dampening to better filter the midrange frequencies and upwards, resulting is less resonance, which results in less "muffledness." Turns out my reasoning was correct. These sound awesome. I did some hardcore A/B listening and I can't tell the difference between these and stock anymore. The mids cleared up, has proper body now, and separation is very clear. I think soundstage actually improved compared to stock. The bass also improved both in quantity as well as texture compared to without the felt. I'm pretty happy and I wanted to share this with the community.

ZMF has said a pad more specifically made to offer Ori / Eikon type comfort, but retaining or improving the stock sound is in the works. Proper thickness and design. He may want to know about this felt thing. It would make sense that felt outdoes mere plastic to improve the sound. I think he searches threads for "ZMF" so he should likely see this.

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #808 of 1,969
Any cheap aftermarket cable recommendations? Oddly these seems to have issues with most cables and I don't want to buy the wrong one. I actually have the new cable but not sure it will last long because of the plastic sheeting so want a backup, so something someone has bought and actually used without issues would be great.

Oct 5, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #809 of 1,969
Any cheap aftermarket cable recommendations? Oddly these seems to have issues with most cables and I don't want to buy the wrong one. I actually have the new cable but not sure it will last long because of the plastic sheeting so want a backup, so something someone has bought and actually used without issues would be great.
I ordered this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dyson-Audio...026677?hash=item1a30ed96b5:g:JBIAAOSwExZZcf6A

Great for my needs - simple. It should work as is, but I'd mention in a note when you buy it that it's for the Teaks. The guy is really cool and should work with you for any other customizations you might want.

Oct 6, 2017 at 12:56 AM Post #810 of 1,969

Users who are viewing this thread

Back