E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Aug 9, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #736 of 1,969
Could an E-MU teak owner please comment on what amping works well with them? I know they're easy to power. I have a Grace m9xx but am unsure if I 'need' a better pairing.
It's been my experience that these don't scale like an HD650 or 800S will with amps. I've not heard the Grace, but I'll assume it's fairly solid given what I know of it.

For example, an LG V20 drives mine very well, bass and all. The Jotunheim is impactful. The Wells Milo is complete overkill, clean and articulate. Other than displaying the typical characteristics of each amp, the headphone doesn't sound OMG better from one to another. Slight improvement as you move up.

I think it's one of the benefits of this headphone, you don't have to sink crazy cash into the audio chain to get it to perform.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #737 of 1,969
Could an E-MU teak owner please comment on what amping works well with them? I know they're easy to power. I have a Grace m9xx but am unsure if I 'need' a better pairing.

The Grace m9xx is very well reviewed/regarded here. I was very interested in it at one time, would've bought one if the drop had coincided w/my interest. I suspect that to really do any better than its built-in amp, you'd have to spend $400-$600, very carefully choosing an amp well reviewed for power & sound. If I were in your shoes I would try to borrow an amp from someone else and see how it sounds vs the Grace's.

My E MU Teaks have a balanced cable, which simplifies this issue a little for me:
  • My DAC is the Audio GD NOS 19, the sound of which is just perfect for me & the headphones I own
  • Aso for amps: I have 2 balanced-output amps (Liquid Carbon & Violectric V281); each is amazing in its own way, and I'll listen to the Teaks extensively on both, once they're done burning in. I can also listen to them from any single-ended/unbalanced amp, too, thanks to a "pigtail" I bought w/my balanced Forza Audio Works cable for ZMF Ori (it's just an 8" length of their HCP Noir cable w/a female XLR on one end and a 1/4" unbalanced jack on the other). Using that I'll certainly try the Teaks on the Lake People G109-A (which has worked very well with every headphone I've tried on it), plus a couple others.

Actually, one of the less expensive Violectric models (Lake People G-109S; Lake People RS-02; Violectric V90) might be a fine pairing with the Grace + the Teaks. Whatever other amp you play with, it should be able to reproduce that terrific bass of the Teaks at least as well as the Grace does.

Aug 10, 2017 at 1:42 PM Post #738 of 1,969
Boy, I thought I had a rough time ordering directly. Went weeks without email communication but they at least hit the shipping date I'd originally been given.

Wound up going with a replacement cable from Dyson, arrived earlier this week, works great.

But, I went to change out the ebony cups for my teak ones last night and noticed that one of the teak cups now has a hairline crack of about 1". Unfortunate, to say the least, but it doesn't appear to have penetrated the entire thing, as the inside is still all intact. Unsure of what to do, if anything.

If you don't mind my asking--which Dyson cable did you get?

And how does the sound compare to stock?

Aug 10, 2017 at 2:14 PM Post #739 of 1,969
Aug 10, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #740 of 1,969
The Grace m9XX is an exceptional DAC/amp to pair with the E-MU Teaks. No need for anhything else unless you need different form factors/features/voicing. More power is not an issue.

Aug 11, 2017 at 8:55 AM Post #741 of 1,969
Thank you all for the input. This made me feel really good about hopping on the newest Teak drop... I was hoping to not pay full price originally, but...looks like everybody loves their's so much they don't need to get rid of it. Consider me on the hype train.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:22 AM Post #742 of 1,969
I must say for me the best combo for sound and comfort on the Teaks so far for me has been ZMF Ori pads with the Dekoni attenuator rings added. I'm also using a ZMF Pilot Pad as well... comfort is amazing with this setup.

Aug 12, 2017 at 12:38 PM Post #743 of 1,969
I must say for me the best combo for sound and comfort on the Teaks so far for me has been ZMF Ori pads with the Dekoni attenuator rings added. I'm also using a ZMF Pilot Pad as well... comfort is amazing with this setup.

Interesting post. Can you elaborate on the sonic changes you heard w/the ZMF Ori pads + Dekoni attenuator vs the Teaks' stock pads?

This is a topic of great interest to me. Just received my new E-Mu Teaks, which are still burning in. I've done some in-progress listening, and there's a lot to like in these headphones. The comfort is quite good (I'm fine w/the stock pads); physical design & appearance are top-notch IMO; and that bass is very nice, indeed. The cable is nothing special, but I can remedy that. However, I hear 2 things from the Teaks that will eventually push me to swap pads:
  • Treble: there's a slightly above-flat liveliness in upper midrange/lower treble of these headphones. It's not excessive, but to one who's extremely averse to glare in this region, it's a concern...it stops me from listening at my preferred top volume.
  • Soundstaging: There isn't much of that here, despite fact I have a balanced cable and have heard the Teaks on 2 amps that have decidedly above average soundstaging capabilities (V281 + Liquid Carbon). This concerns me. I know they're closed headphones and can hardly expect SOTA soundstaging--but I do expect at least average soundstaging.
All of which will compel me to pad-roll. I've read everything I can find on the topic. The most extensive pad comments come from @ProfFalkin, who tried/compared 5-6 different pads (he prefers ZMF Eikon pads), but apparently hasn't used any type of attenuator. Other pads mentioned favorably are the Brainwavz Sheepskin angled pads & the Alpha pads. I've also read persuasive comments about the positive role the Dekoni attenuator (or anything shaped/made like it) plays in maximizing the sound of aftermarket pads--I'll surely order those soon.

I already own a pair of Alpha pads. And I have to check this, but it seems very likely that my spare pads that came w/the ZMF Ori, the ZMF cowhides, are nearly identical in dimension to the Brainwaves Sheepskin angled (ie, 40mm thick descending to 25mm thick). If so, I'll probably start my pad rolling experiment w/the ZMF cowhides + Dekoni attentuator.

I'm kind of fuzzy on how one takes the stock pads off--presumably rotate in one direction or other--but will figure that out...

Anybody here want to weigh in? I like the Teaks and very much would like to subtly modify their sound to rein in treble, increase soundstaging--and not dampen that terrific bass.

Aug 12, 2017 at 1:18 PM Post #744 of 1,969
@Pharmaboy

As far as sonic differences with the combo I'm running, I would say that the soundstage has increased just a tad, possibly from the depth of the pads vs the stock pads. No it doesn't take them to open headphone levels or anything. But I do feel a bit more depth to the staging.

With this combo I feel the bass presentation is better/more full sound. This could be due to a better seal on my head or the pad depth or a combo of the two.

On treble, I would say that there isn't much of a change to my ears.

The big issue for me was the stock pads were terribly uncomfortable for me. I couldn't wear them for more than 30 min or so without ear fatigue.

I tried the Dekoni lamb skins with the attenuator ring which was real close to the stock sound. While these were more comfortable than stock the ear openings were just too small still for my ears.

That's what led me to the Ori pads. I wasn't sure of how it would change the sound for better/worse. Achieving a comfort level that would allow long listening sessions at this point had become a priority, so I was willing to accept small changes to the sound what ever they may be. Now I feel that there isn't a huge difference between the two sonically I actually prefer the sound signature of the Ori's with the attenuator rings to stock.

The pads just rotate off. There are 4 little tabs that lock into slots in the headphone housing.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #745 of 1,969
@Pharmaboy

As far as sonic differences with the combo I'm running, I would say that the soundstage has increased just a tad, possibly from the depth of the pads vs the stock pads. No it doesn't take them to open headphone levels or anything. But I do feel a bit more depth to the staging.

With this combo I feel the bass presentation is better/more full sound. This could be due to a better seal on my head or the pad depth or a combo of the two.

On treble, I would say that there isn't much of a change to my ears.

The big issue for me was the stock pads were terribly uncomfortable for me. I couldn't wear them for more than 30 min or so without ear fatigue.

I tried the Dekoni lamb skins with the attenuator ring which was real close to the stock sound. While these were more comfortable than stock the ear openings were just too small still for my ears.

That's what led me to the Ori pads. I wasn't sure of how it would change the sound for better/worse. Achieving a comfort level that would allow long listening sessions at this point had become a priority, so I was willing to accept small changes to the sound what ever they may be. Now I feel that there isn't a huge difference between the two sonically I actually prefer the sound signature of the Ori's with the attenuator rings to stock.

The pads just rotate off. There are 4 little tabs that lock into slots in the headphone housing.

Thanks for these detailed comments! I'm impressed your Ori pads actually increased the Teaks' bass. That may be at least partly due to the attenuators, since most comments I've read about aftermarket pads said they decreased bass by at least some degree.

I have Ori pads (terrific pads)--but they're such a sonic "lock" w/my ZMF Ori that they're not coming off anytime soon. That's why I'll probably start w/the ZMF cowhides.

Aug 12, 2017 at 5:20 PM Post #746 of 1,969
Interesting post. Can you elaborate on the sonic changes you heard w/the ZMF Ori pads + Dekoni attenuator vs the Teaks' stock pads?

This is a topic of great interest to me. Just received my new E-Mu Teaks, which are still burning in. I've done some in-progress listening, and there's a lot to like in these headphones. The comfort is quite good (I'm fine w/the stock pads); physical design & appearance are top-notch IMO; and that bass is very nice, indeed. The cable is nothing special, but I can remedy that. However, I hear 2 things from the Teaks that will eventually push me to swap pads:
  • Treble: there's a slightly above-flat liveliness in upper midrange/lower treble of these headphones. It's not excessive, but to one who's extremely averse to glare in this region, it's a concern...it stops me from listening at my preferred top volume.
  • Soundstaging: There isn't much of that here, despite fact I have a balanced cable and have heard the Teaks on 2 amps that have decidedly above average soundstaging capabilities (V281 + Liquid Carbon). This concerns me. I know they're closed headphones and can hardly expect SOTA soundstaging--but I do expect at least average soundstaging.
All of which will compel me to pad-roll. I've read everything I can find on the topic. The most extensive pad comments come from @ProfFalkin, who tried/compared 5-6 different pads (he prefers ZMF Eikon pads), but apparently hasn't used any type of attenuator. Other pads mentioned favorably are the Brainwavz Sheepskin angled pads & the Alpha pads. I've also read persuasive comments about the positive role the Dekoni attenuator (or anything shaped/made like it) plays in maximizing the sound of aftermarket pads--I'll surely order those soon.

I already own a pair of Alpha pads. And I have to check this, but it seems very likely that my spare pads that came w/the ZMF Ori, the ZMF cowhides, are nearly identical in dimension to the Brainwaves Sheepskin angled (ie, 40mm thick descending to 25mm thick). If so, I'll probably start my pad rolling experiment w/the ZMF cowhides + Dekoni attentuator.

I'm kind of fuzzy on how one takes the stock pads off--presumably rotate in one direction or other--but will figure that out...

Anybody here want to weigh in? I like the Teaks and very much would like to subtly modify their sound to rein in treble, increase soundstaging--and not dampen that terrific bass.

As engrossed in my ZMF Eikons as I've been over the last 9 months, my listening time on the Teak has been neigh zero.

I haven't tried an attenuation ring, but wouldn't mind giving it a try. If someone wants to ship me some, I'll do a review on the various ZMF, Brainwavz, stock, Audeze, and Mr.Speakers pads I have. I'll ship the rings back when finished.

Otherwise, I don't see the value in spending more $ on these. Sorry.

Aug 12, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #747 of 1,969
As engrossed in my ZMF Eikons as I've been over the last 9 months, my listening time on the Teak has been neigh zero. I haven't tried an attenuation ring, but wouldn't mind giving it a try. If someone wants to ship me some, I'll do a review on the various ZMF, Brainwavz, stock, Audeze, and Mr.Speakers pads I have. I'll ship the rings back when finished. Otherwise, I don't see the value in spending more $ on these. Sorry.

I believe the Eikon pads are superior to Ori from what I had read. A bit larger but supposedly able to fit the Teak fine. Also a bit less thick (though still a bit more thick than the stock, I think). It would seem because they are used on more expensive ZMF cans by default - it would make sense if they are superior, and their best pads. The reviews above indicate the Ori is a nice match with attenuator rings. I have to think the Eikon pads with attenuator rings would net perhaps an even better sound.

Last edited:
Aug 12, 2017 at 11:14 PM Post #748 of 1,969
I believe the Eikon pads are superior to Ori from what I had read.
I thought so.

A bit larger but supposedly able to fit the Teak fine. Also a bit less thick (though still a bit more thick than the stock, I think).
Correct, and correct.

It would seem because they are used on more expensive ZMF cans by default
No. The Eikon pads are the default pads on the Eikon headphones. Unless something changed, Zach puts Ori pads on the Atticus by default (but includes the Eikon pads if your prefer to use them instead).

What makes the Eikon pads best for the Teak are not build quality being better (as both ori and Eikon pads are excellent), or that they are used as default on more expensive headphones. Rather, in my testing it was due to how they place the Teak drivers closer to the ear than other pads, and because they are not made of pleather.

Pleather tends to emphasize treble more than leather, I found, which is why the HM5 was inferior despite being about as thick as the Eikon pads. Treble is not something the Teak needs more of, imo.

Shape and other factors play a role as well, I'm sure.

Assuming the attenuation rings would further improve the Eikon pads may seem logical, but there are a host of reasons that may not be true.

I look forward to finding out.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2017 at 8:34 AM Post #749 of 1,969
So, I heard back from Chan, and they're offering me the chance to buy a replacement teak cup to replace the one that's cracked. I'll take it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back