E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Jan 25, 2017 at 3:30 PM Post #601 of 1,969
If I remember correctly, Ebony > Rosewood > the rest of the woods. Try out the "Search This Thread" button at the bottom of the page.
I deliberated on Ebony vs Rosewood for a while. Ended up choosing Ebony. Order hasn't shipped yet and every day I'm tempted to send an email saying "I want the rosewoods too!"...

Jan 25, 2017 at 10:27 PM Post #602 of 1,969
Can anyone comment on cross grain versus parallel to grain in terms of sonic differences? Cross grain I'm assuming would look very spotty or circular in texture and parallel would appear with linear striations or side to side lines. I recall that cross grain cuts might give more sonic attributes from the wood that parallel cuts but I'm curious if anyone can confirm this.

Jan 25, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #603 of 1,969
Can anyone comment on cross grain versus parallel to grain in terms of sonic differences? Cross grain I'm assuming would look very spotty or circular in texture and parallel would appear with linear striations or side to side lines. I recall that cross grain cuts might give more sonic attributes from the wood that parallel cuts but I'm curious if anyone can confirm this.

A high end measurement rig might be able to tell, but us mere humans should stop worrying about it.

Jan 26, 2017 at 1:29 PM Post #605 of 1,969

Having briefly touched on this earlier in the thread, Ive been biting my tongue on this topic for some while now. The pic above show my ebony and rosewood cups together. You can see the obvious difference in grain cuts, Chan was kind enough to let me choose my cups and I singled out both sets for their distinctive features.

Im surprised to read that some people cant tell the sonic differences between ebony and rosewood because with my cups the difference is obvious. My rosewood have great, tight bass with plenty of sparkle in the treble. They are my favorite cups above the teaks. While my ebony seem to be much tubbier, with maybe more bass thud, but at the cost of a muffled high end.

Its my opinion that the difference in sound characteristics owe more to the grain cut than the type of wood used. Of course different woods will have inherent qualities, but each individual cup has different resonance, owing to many different factors.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:23 PM Post #606 of 1,969

Having briefly touched on this earlier in the thread, Ive been biting my tongue on this topic for some while now. The pic above show my ebony and rosewood cups together. You can see the obvious difference in grain cuts, Chan was kind enough to let me choose my cups and I singled out both sets for their distinctive features.

Im surprised to read that some people cant tell the sonic differences between ebony and rosewood because with my cups the difference is obvious. My rosewood have great, tight bass with plenty of sparkle in the treble. They are my favorite cups above the teaks. While my ebony seem to be much tubbier, with maybe more bass thud, but at the cost of a muffled high end.

Its my opinion that the difference in sound characteristics owe more to the grain cut than the type of wood used. Of course different woods will have inherent qualities, but each individual cup has different resonance, owing to many different factors.

Your ebony cups are gorgeous. Too bad you like the others better. Now I can't decide what wood I want to go along with the Teaks.

Jan 26, 2017 at 3:40 PM Post #607 of 1,969
  Your ebony cups are gorgeous. Too bad you like the others better. Now I can't decide what wood I want to go along with the Teaks.

I think it would be helpful to accept that there is a lot of variance between cups, even those of the same wood type.  Dont get so hung up on wood types and just go for a set to complement the teaks.  (and they will complement them, having a different design and sound).

Even though I'm not enjoying my ebony cups so much, I'm happy to keep them because they offer something different than my other cups.  What would be the point of owning two cup sets so similar you cant tell the difference?

Jan 26, 2017 at 5:01 PM Post #608 of 1,969

I think it would be helpful to accept that there is a lot of variance between cups, even those of the same wood type.  Dont get so hung up on wood types and just go for a set to complement the teaks.  (and they will complement them, having a different design and sound).

Even though I'm not enjoying my ebony cups so much, I'm happy to keep them because they offer something different than my other cups.  What would be the point of owning two cup sets so similar you cant tell the difference?

Right. I guess my point is that I can't spend money on two different sets, so I have to choose one. For looks I want the ebony, so I guess I should hope that the cups I get are cut in a way that will give a preferred signature.

Jan 27, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #609 of 1,969

I wholeheartedly agree but I'm coming from the other direction. I have the Mahogany and Purpleheart, the teaks are not available, I was sold on the Ebony but your comments perked my interests in the Rosewood which I feel fills the void the Ebony may fill. I won't get both but love to hear comparisons on both given my situation.

Jan 31, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #610 of 1,969
  Thanks, ProfFalkin! Maybe I'll end up with a set of both myself someday.
Please let me know how that cable works out for you, I'd love a picture of it too whenever it arrives. 
I'm going to grab one of these (http://a.co/gwoaz60) off amazon for $10. I don't have the highest of hopes, but at 10 bucks with prime, it's not a big gamble and the mic/buttons could be handy occasionally.

Did you ever receive that cable from Amazon? I never went through with the other one... If yours works I'm probably just going to go that route.

Jan 31, 2017 at 5:00 PM Post #611 of 1,969
Well, after waiting for over a week for Chan from Emu to respond to my email I decided to go a different route.
I have ordered the new Denon AH T7200 from Audio Sanctuary UK.
The HPs can be had for around $650 from them. The price will go up on the 1st.
I believe the Denon will be sold for $999 here...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jan 31, 2017 at 10:13 PM Post #614 of 1,969
Bought this one off amazon unfortunately doesn't work.
Kindly inform if your is working.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01G8GZYDM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_iZuKybC7FWGR9

In what way did they not work? Did they no insert into the cup enough or was the audio off?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back