E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Feb 1, 2017 at 12:51 AM Post #616 of 1,969
There's no sound coming out at all, not sure if it's defective cable. Placed different cable order, see if I have better luck.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00YI89ZQ0/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fFvKyb42W7KYX
I'm guessing the cables aren't inserting far enough because they are too wide at the end.

Feb 1, 2017 at 1:31 AM Post #617 of 1,969
I'm guessing all SOL cables won't work...
Did a continuity check on my cable...
It's supposed to be wired  

You can just contact them directly and tell them what you're looking for. I think they've handled a few orders for EMU Teak cables by this point. Also, Chan had posted these in the Massdrop discussion board at some point. I'd sent them to Redco for my cable quote, though I haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Here's some information about how they are wired:

2.5mm TRS ( left ) Tip  ---  L signal Ring  ---  L return Sleeve --  NC

2.5mm TRS ( right ) Tip  ---  R signal Ring  ---  R return Sleeve --  NC

3.5mm TRS Tip  ---  L signal Ring  ---  R signal Sleeve --  Return ( L and R return shorted together )

Unfortunately, on my amazon cable, the wiring on the 2.5mm end is as follows: Tip and Ring shorted together for signal, with Sleeve being the return. Since Ring is supposed to return, not short with signal, it's not going to work. Again, I don't have my EMUs to test it with until tomorrow, but I have little hope after that test... Going to buy some 2.5mm solder plugs and just re-terminate the 2.5mm ends.
Probably these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Gold-Plated-Mini-Copper-2-5mm-4Pole-Stereo-Audio-Plug-Solder-Connector-A440-/332097120165?hash=item4d5287e7a5:g:yhwAAOSwt5hYgO9t
...hopefully, the TRRS won't cause any issues...

Feb 1, 2017 at 7:31 AM Post #618 of 1,969
If anyone interested on EMU XLR terminated cable, I have one available. Bought EMU used yesterday and previous owner picked up XLR terminated cable as well from EMU, since I don't XLR interface device I have no use of this cable. 
So far love the cans, bass is what I am looking for from a pair of cans.

Feb 1, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #619 of 1,969
They arrived today as scheduled!
Absolutely loving them so far. They're 100% living up to the hype.
The cable I bought off amazon, as expected, did not work... 10 minutes with a soldering iron, and it's treating me very well.
Cup weights (Average between both in grams): Teak-20.4, Rosewood-28.4, and Ebony-64.9.
Color accuracy is very close in the middle photo, other photos are close enough.
Big ole thanks to Chan!

Feb 1, 2017 at 11:33 PM Post #620 of 1,969
beerchug.gif
 @MyElectricCity

Unfortunately I have to send mine back as I wasn't satisfied with the fit of the cups. I think their QC is bit lacking, considering that had 4 weeks to ship my order.. At the same I have to say that Chan's customer service has been great. 

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:42 AM Post #622 of 1,969
  It probably has to do with the wood drying out and changing the dimensions. Tyll talks about it here:https://youtu.be/BR_Ug-1dZVU?t=594

Ehhh.. Could be, could not be.
One of my ebony cups has 1 of 4 screw holes rather out of line. It was possible to get a screw in it, but it REALLY didn't want it. Roughly 2/3s the diameter of the screw off kilter.

Feb 2, 2017 at 7:43 AM Post #623 of 1,969
  Ehhh.. Could be, could not be.
One of my ebony cups has 1 of 4 screw holes rather out of line. It was possible to get a screw in it, but it REALLY didn't want it. Roughly 2/3s the diameter of the screw off kilter.

That's unfortunate. I haven't tried my ebony cups on yet, and only got about an hour with the teaks yesterday, but it was blissful. I like the color of your ebonies--mine are more like tiger stripes. Will try to post pics tonight after work.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:52 AM Post #624 of 1,969
They arrived today as scheduled!

Absolutely loving them so far. They're 100% living up to the hype.

The cable I bought off amazon, as expected, did not work... 10 minutes with a soldering iron, and it's treating me very well.

Cup weights (Average between both in grams): Teak-20.4, Rosewood-28.4, and Ebony-64.9.
Color accuracy is very close in the middle photo, other photos are close enough.

Big ole thanks to Chan!

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

[COLOR=FF4400]
[/COLOR]

I'm looking forward to your sound impressions, specifically between the Ebony and Rosewood. Do you plan to post them? It seems you have 3 cups on the balance end of the "cup" spectrum if you will.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:54 AM Post #625 of 1,969

Having briefly touched on this earlier in the thread, Ive been biting my tongue on this topic for some while now. The pic above show my ebony and rosewood cups together. You can see the obvious difference in grain cuts, Chan was kind enough to let me choose my cups and I singled out both sets for their distinctive features.

Im surprised to read that some people cant tell the sonic differences between ebony and rosewood because with my cups the difference is obvious. My rosewood have great, tight bass with plenty of sparkle in the treble. They are my favorite cups above the teaks. While my ebony seem to be much tubbier, with maybe more bass thud, but at the cost of a muffled high end.

Its my opinion that the difference in sound characteristics owe more to the grain cut than the type of wood used. Of course different woods will have inherent qualities, but each individual cup has different resonance, owing to many different factors.

Can you give a better break down between the Ebony and Rosewood cups sonic differences? Perhaps include what music you compare on? I'm split between the two. In the photos, I prefer the look of the Ebony, but sound is my priority. Your comment on a muffled high end is a bit concerning. How muffled are you talking? For reference, I have the Mahogany and Purpleheart.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:39 PM Post #626 of 1,969

Unfortunately, on my amazon cable, the wiring on the 2.5mm end is as follows: Tip and Ring shorted together for signal, with Sleeve being the return. Since Ring is supposed to return, not short with signal, it's not going to work. Again, I don't have my EMUs to test it with until tomorrow, but I have little hope after that test... Going to buy some 2.5mm solder plugs and just re-terminate the 2.5mm ends.
Probably these

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-Gold-Plated-Mini-Copper-2-5mm-4Pole-Stereo-Audio-Plug-Solder-Connector-A440-/332097120165?hash=item4d5287e7a5:g:yhwAAOSwt5hYgO9t
...hopefully, the TRRS won't cause any issues...

I contacted Redco and they quoted me $24 for 3.9 feet replacement cable. Chris told me they had made 6 of these EMU cables for the last 2 weeks, communication was painless and cable will be shipped within 5 days. I will update when I get it.

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:45 PM Post #627 of 1,969
Can you give a better break down between the Ebony and Rosewood cups sonic differences? Perhaps include what music you compare on? I'm split between the two. In the photos, I prefer the look of the Ebony, but sound is my priority. Your comment on a muffled high end is a bit concerning. How muffled are you talking? For reference, I have the Mahogany and Purpleheart.

Hi CoFire, sorry for not answering your earlier post.  I think the ebonies would suit hip hop/rap style music best.  Its not a genre I listen to often but the ebony cups (from my experience) give a lot of heavy bass with low and thick thud.  I feel the top end is muffled but perhaps my opinion is colored by the performance of the teak and rosewood.

My rosewood cups sound great with electronic dance music.  There is plenty of bass present, but with more detail and energy particularly around the treble.  They are by no means shrill, I still think of them as a bassy sound, but there is far more life to them and they just suit my favourite style, psy-trance, perfectly.  I find them an all round performer with other genres too.  They have great synergy with my rupert neve headphone amplifier - because any detail and finesse it lacks from the teaks is counter-balanced by this extremely resolving amplifier.

Hope this helps.
Paul

Feb 2, 2017 at 1:53 PM Post #628 of 1,969
  They have great synergy with my rupert neve headphone amplifier - because any detail and finesse it lacks from the teaks is counter-balanced by this extremely resolving amplifier.

I want an rnhp but if I got one, I'd have to put it in a different chassis.   Don't like the looks!   I understand they are built like a tank though.

Feb 2, 2017 at 3:15 PM Post #630 of 1,969
Hi CoFire, sorry for not answering your earlier post.  I think the ebonies would suit hip hop/rap style music best.  Its not a genre I listen to often but the ebony cups (from my experience) give a lot of heavy bass with low and thick thud.  I feel the top end is muffled but perhaps my opinion is colored by the performance of the teak and rosewood.

My rosewood cups sound great with electronic dance music.  There is plenty of bass present, but with more detail and energy particularly around the treble.  They are by no means shrill, I still think of them as a bassy sound, but there is far more life to them and they just suit my favourite style, psy-trance, perfectly.  I find them an all round performer with other genres too.  They have great synergy with my rupert neve headphone amplifier - because any detail and finesse it lacks from the teaks is counter-balanced by this extremely resolving amplifier.

Hope this helps.
Paul

Which cups have more bass? Does the bass quality vary? Or do you feel like they are bass equivalent, but that just the treble is quite different? Sorry, I'm trying to get a sense of the difference. What do you like about each cup over the Teaks? Do you think the Teaks perform better in any respect? Thanks so much for your impressions. There's not that much out there on the Rosewood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back