E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Feb 2, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #631 of 1,967
Which cups have more bass? Does the bass quality vary? Or do you feel like they are bass equivalent, but that just the treble is quite different? Sorry, I'm trying to get a sense of the difference. What do you like about each cup over the Teaks? Do you think the Teaks perform better in any respect? Thanks so much for your impressions. There's not that much out there on the Rosewood.

I'll try and answer as best as I can - after an initial phase of swapping and comparing, Ive more or less just stuck with rosewood because they are my preference.  My last impressions of the two other cups were quite a while ago.  I would say the ebony have reasonably more bass than rosewood, but with less quality/less tightness.  They genuinely felt muffled to my ears, which contradicts what others have said on this thread.  Maybe if I cranked the volume up I would get more out of them but personally I found the bass overpowering.

The teaks perform better in many other aspects, they seem to have greater soundstage, and greater definition.  The drivers almost perform that little bit faster, but with a melodic buttery smoothness.  And it would be neglect not to mention the bass of the teaks, because their bass is GOOD, just not as present as the other cup choices.

I think the rosewood are an excellent halfway house - retaining enough good points from both cups to give sheer sonic joy.  In saying that, the teaks are something special and have to be heard to be believed.

Feb 3, 2017 at 1:05 AM Post #632 of 1,967
I'll try and answer as best as I can - after an initial phase of swapping and comparing, Ive more or less just stuck with rosewood because they are my preference.  My last impressions of the two other cups were quite a while ago.  I would say the ebony have reasonably more bass than rosewood, but with less quality/less tightness.  They genuinely felt muffled to my ears, which contradicts what others have said on this thread.  Maybe if I cranked the volume up I would get more out of them but personally I found the bass overpowering.

The teaks perform better in many other aspects, they seem to have greater soundstage, and greater definition.  The drivers almost perform that little bit faster, but with a melodic buttery smoothness.  And it would be neglect not to mention the bass of the teaks, because their bass is GOOD, just not as present as the other cup choices.

I think the rosewood are an excellent halfway house - retaining enough good points from both cups to give sheer sonic joy.  In saying that, the teaks are something special and have to be heard to be believed.

Spot on impressions and I agree 100%. I had posted the exact impressions about a month ago (Post 532/534)

"I find the rosewood to be the best sounding middle ground. As much as I love bass, I feel the bass on the ebony overpowers other freqs a little. The teak are pretty good and lush sounding and have the best sound stage, but I want a bit more bass on them. They have less bass than thx00 mahogany. The rosewood seem to fit in the middle of ebony and teak. I like the rosewood better than the THx00 mahogany too."

"I think bass wise I'd rate them as follows:

Ebony > Rosewood > Mahogany > Teak

Soundstage:

Teak > Rosewood > Mahogany = Ebony

Treble quality

Rosewood = Teak > Mahogany > Ebony"

Feb 3, 2017 at 6:20 AM Post #633 of 1,967
Well, after waiting for over a week for Chan from Emu to respond to my email I decided to go a different route.
I have ordered the new Denon AH T7200 from Audio Sanctuary UK.
The HPs can be had for around $650 from them. The price will go up on the 1st.
I believe the Denon will be sold for $999 here...

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I saw the announcement for the new Denon 7200s but couldn't find them when I was in Japan over Christmas.  Highly interested to know how these sound compared to the Teaks.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:14 AM Post #635 of 1,967
Cross-posting from the other thread, but wondering what kind of experiences everyone has had with ZMF Ori and Eikon pads. Thinking of picking a set up but unsure which to go with, or if there are appreciable differences between the two.

Feb 16, 2017 at 8:58 AM Post #636 of 1,967
  Cross-posting from the other thread, but wondering what kind of experiences everyone has had with ZMF Ori and Eikon pads. Thinking of picking a set up but unsure which to go with, or if there are appreciable differences between the two.

I installed Ori pads on my EMU, very happy with it. I didn't really notice sound different other than slightly reduced bass, I read somewhere Eikon pads sound slightly better than Ori.

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:57 AM Post #637 of 1,967
I installed Ori pads on my EMU, very happy with it. I didn't really notice sound different other than slightly reduced bass, I read somewhere Eikon pads sound slightly better than Ori.

They do, but only slightly. The bass doesn't get reduced as much, but it's a minor thing.

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:16 AM Post #639 of 1,967
Any comfort difference between the two, or compared with the stock pads?

Stock pads sound best, but I can't stand them after about 45 min.

Eikon pads are thinner and lighter, so clamp decreases and the headphone just feels lighter with them on. Comfort is good. The pads are slightly bigger than the cups, but it doesn't affect comfort.

Ori pads are thicker, and the ear hole is slightly bigger than Eikon.

Feb 17, 2017 at 12:02 AM Post #640 of 1,967
 Denon 7200s - highly interested to know how these sound compared to the Teak.

Me too. I like the 7N (OCC, probably) copper cables, and that they are tuned for a more relaxed sound (about effing time).
Does anyone know of a good shorter replacement cable for EMU Teaks? The one with it is nice, but I want a shorter option.
OCC would be nice of course, or solid core copper, or litz. Though standard copper would be fine if that is all that I can get.
I have an OCC on my ATH-R70x with jacks that fit (made for Momentum). They clicked in place, but would not pass sound.

Feb 24, 2017 at 10:41 AM Post #642 of 1,967
Just got this email from a guy at Redco - I ordered a cable over two weeks ago and hadn't received or heard anything until I reached out this morning:
We have found the 2.5mm connectors we have are not working properly on the Teak phones.
We have a replacement items arriving soon that we hope will solve that problem.

Anyone else here waiting on a cable or get one and have issues with it? Just curious.

Feb 24, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #643 of 1,967
Just got this email from a guy at Redco - I ordered a cable over two weeks ago and hadn't received or heard anything until I reached out this morning:

Anyone else here waiting on a cable or get one and have issues with it? Just curious.

Yeah, I've been in touch with Chris from Redco. The issue on their side, as he explained it, is that they don't know the size and fit of the E-MU's default connectors to purchase the right aftermarket parts for their custom cables. I was going to try and measure them as best I can once the Teaks arrive but it's pointless for me to go back and forth with him until then.

Feb 26, 2017 at 6:09 PM Post #645 of 1,967
Yeah, I've been in touch with Chris from Redco. The issue on their side, as he explained it, is that they don't know the size and fit of the E-MU's default connectors to purchase the right aftermarket parts for their custom cables. I was going to try and measure them as best I can once the Teaks arrive but it's pointless for me to go back and forth with him until then.[/quote

Receive similar reply from Chris as well after letting him know I am having issue with custom cable he made. 2.5mm connectors keep popping out and don't stay in place. New connectors should be available mid week, still not clear how he will replace defective connectors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back