E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Dec 16, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #466 of 1,969
Teak is the best, but just get the rosewood or ebony and don't worry about it. The ebony or rosewood is 99.9999999999% similar to the Teak. Having heard them all, I would rank:

Teak > ebony > rosewood >> mahogany > purpleheart > maple

Chan now has a few woods I haven't tried yet, but I'm super satisfied with the ebony. Pads make a much larger difference than cup woods do. Even rotating the inner damping foam piece makes a bigger difference than the cup woods.

I was going to buy the Teak with the Ebony and PH cups. Im curious why you rank PH so low?

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #468 of 1,969
Can somebody who's heard the walnut let me know how it compares to the TH-X00 specifically the bass. Thanks!

THX00 has cleaner bass and it extends lower. THX00 also has airer, more spacious treble. THX00 has better soundstage

Dec 19, 2016 at 11:53 AM Post #470 of 1,969
How big is the difference? Subtle? Like changing wood on the TH-X00?

No, much bigger difference than that. The walnut is great for a smaller, less expensive little brother. But the THX00 is a pretty massive upgrade. I enjoy both in their own way, but the walnut is by no means a competitor.

Dec 19, 2016 at 12:56 PM Post #471 of 1,969
I was going to buy the Teak with the Ebony and PH cups. Im curious why you rank PH so low?

Still having a tough choice deciding between rosewood and purpleheart. Anyone knows which one has better bass?

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:21 PM Post #472 of 1,969
Still having a tough choice deciding between rosewood and purpleheart. Anyone knows which one has better bass?

I'm serious, the differences are so small, just get the one that looks better to you.

Dec 19, 2016 at 1:32 PM Post #473 of 1,969

Purpleheart basically magnifies the flaws this design has. Bass is even more uneven and wooly and the 3-4kHz hole is even larger. Ebony, rosewood and teak minimize these effects the most with teak adding a bit more airy soundstage.

But as the other guy said, yes, these differences are pretty subtle.

I'll put the differences this way: if you blindly put one on my head, I couldn't tell you which wood it is just by recognizing the signature right off. However if you blindly alternated between them I could tell you which was which. Ie the differences are differentiable, but not significant.

Purpleheart has the biggest midbass spike, rosewood has a more even bass that extends a bit deeper. Purpleheart bass is a bit boomy, which can be fun, rosewood bass is faster and more detailed.

Dec 22, 2016 at 12:03 AM Post #474 of 1,969
Can somebody who's heard the walnut let me know how it compares to the TH-X00 specifically the bass. Thanks!

Assuming the E-MU Teak and Fostex TH-X00 are as similar as people say (I own the Teak, have never tried the TH-X00), then yes, as fjrabon said, the difference is practically night and day. They are not in the same league, as the price would aptly suggests.
The Teak/Th-X00 will provide much deeper bass, more sound stage, better separation, and also seem less fussy with source players. The Walnut seems to need an amp to clean up and tighten the bass.
The Walnut is a good headphone, the Teak/TH-X00 are great if you can afford them.

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #475 of 1,969
How long does it typically take to get a response from Chan? I'm sure they're swamped at present getting everything out the door, but I'm seriously waffling about canceling my TH-X00 ebony order for these...if I can get a response. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 8:47 AM Post #476 of 1,969
  How long does it typically take to get a response from Chan? I'm sure they're swamped at present getting everything out the door, but I'm seriously waffling about canceling my TH-X00 ebony order for these...if I can get a response. 

he's usually pretty quick unless he's traveling

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:15 AM Post #477 of 1,969

He responded within 24 hours each time I reached out to him. I placed my order a week and a half ago.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:35 AM Post #478 of 1,969

he's usually pretty quick unless he's traveling

He responded within 24 hours each time I reached out to him. I placed my order a week and a half ago.

Alright, thanks. Guess I'll chalk it up to the holidays and being swamped with getting the drop taken care of. Sent him another note this AM. 

Is there an appreciable difference between the E-MU Teak/Ebony and the Fostex Ebony?

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:44 AM Post #479 of 1,969

Alright, thanks. Guess I'll chalk it up to the holidays and being swamped with getting the drop taken care of. Sent him another note this AM. 

Is there an appreciable difference between the E-MU Teak/Ebony and the Fostex Ebony?

There's no sonic difference between the driver, pads and assembly structures.  Now there may be some variation between a given EMU Ebony and a given Fostex Ebony, but that will likely be about the same as the variation from any two Fostex Ebonies or any two EMU ebonies.  There's always unit to unit variation, especially with wood.  

Now if you're asking if there is an appreciable difference between the EMU teak with teak cups and the Fostex Ebony as well, then yes.  The teak not only uses a different wood, but also the interior of the cup is routed out differently.

Dec 22, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #480 of 1,969
  Now if you're asking if there is an appreciable difference between the EMU teak with teak cups and the Fostex Ebony as well, then yes.  The teak not only uses a different wood, but also the interior of the cup is routed out differently.

Confirmed, and this change makes the teakwood cup superior to every cup I've tried on my headphones to date.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back