E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Dec 11, 2016 at 9:29 AM Post #451 of 1,968
Also, if you may be solely a biocellulose driver fan, then as best - they are, along with EMU series :

ZMF Eikon

vintage Sony MDR-R10

vintage Sony MDR-CD3000

along with Audioquest Nightowl and Fostex TH-900.

some like Sony SA-5000 and Qualia Q010 MDR-1, others express controversy on these 2 models, both open-back, with considerably less bass.

MDR-R10 extravagantly priced & Qualia pricey, needed to mention that.

Sony's vintage biocellulose manufacturing process sonically was superior to & different than modern Fostex biodyna process, especially in linearity, instrumental timbre, tonal accuracy and balanced midrange response.

Likely, ZMF Eikon, with the first biocell high impedance driver, may carve some new roads ahead, also has lifetime warranty on drivers.

have yet to know about the new Denon AH-D7200.

also agree with fjrabon's last post.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #453 of 1,968
thanks for the info...looks like I'll have to jump on the EMUs on the next drop...anyone heard the AKG k872?...info seems pretty scarce...I was about to pounce on the Pandoras but the comfort and build quality issues seems rather dodgy...not something I would want to deal with...

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:36 PM Post #454 of 1,968
This hobby is killing me. I have two pairs of THX00 and this praise of the EMU is like a big gorilla on my back. I feel if I took the plunge, the Teak had to be at the top of the list just based on exclusivity, BUT I'm curious how different are the EMU to the THX00 if you just upgrade cups. The Rosewood and Ebony sound the most appealing after the Teak. The Teak for balance, Rosewood for that subterranean bass comment and the Ebony because I feel there's been very high praise of it over sometimes the Teak, but in all honesty, I don't recall specifics between the two.

Dec 11, 2016 at 10:48 PM Post #455 of 1,968
This hobby is killing me. I have two pairs of THX00 and this praise of the EMU is like a big gorilla on my back. I feel if I took the plunge, the Teak had to be at the top of the list just based on exclusivity, BUT I'm curious how different are the EMU to the THX00 if you just upgrade cups. The Rosewood and Ebony sound the most appealing after the Teak. The Teak for balance, Rosewood for that subterranean bass comment and the Ebony because I feel there's been very high praise of it over sometimes the Teak, but in all honesty, I don't recall specifics between the two.

Teak is the best, but just get the rosewood or ebony and don't worry about it. The ebony or rosewood is 99.9999999999% similar to the Teak. Having heard them all, I would rank:

Teak > ebony > rosewood >> mahogany > purpleheart > maple

Chan now has a few woods I haven't tried yet, but I'm super satisfied with the ebony. Pads make a much larger difference than cup woods do. Even rotating the inner damping foam piece makes a bigger difference than the cup woods.

Dec 14, 2016 at 12:46 AM Post #456 of 1,968
Just ordered the Teak with removable cable directly through Chan, it was $530 including shipping. He said I can expect them to ship it out around the 27th, to arrive in the US a week later. Can't wait - it'll be my first new set since I got my HD600s in 2011! 

Dec 14, 2016 at 2:03 AM Post #457 of 1,968
Just ordered the Teak with removable cable directly through Chan, it was $530 including shipping. He said I can expect them to ship it out around the 27th, to arrive in the US a week later. Can't wait - it'll be my first new set since I got my HD600s in 2011! 

Oh wow, those are going to blow your mind! Congrats!

Going to keep stock pads or have some ready when it arrives?

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #458 of 1,968
Haha, thanks. I'll probably stick with the stock pads - I just like the way they look, at the least. But maybe after a bit I'll order a rosewood cup and a different set of pads just to try other things out. Any recommendations?

Dec 14, 2016 at 11:44 AM Post #459 of 1,968
  Haha, thanks. I'll probably stick with the stock pads - I just like the way they look, at the least. But maybe after a bit I'll order a rosewood cup and a different set of pads just to try other things out. Any recommendations?

I've tried 7 or 8 pads on them, and I'd personally rank pads for the Teak as such:  (Sound trumping comfort)

Rankings for sound quality:
1) Stock pads
2) ZMF Eikon pads
3) ZMF Ori (aka Omni) pads
4) Mr. Speakers Alpha Pads
5) Brainwavz sheepskin pads or Shure 1540 pads (neither sounds that great)
6, 7, 8, etc) Sound got too bad with anything velour, so the other pads I tried I won't even list.

Pad ranking aiming for best balance of sound + comfort:
1) ZMF Eikon pads
2) ZMF Ori pad
3) Alpha Pads
4) Shure 1540 pads (didn't sound that good)
5) BW sheepskin  (sound was terrible)
6) stock

So... yeah, Eikon pads are clear winners in my book.  I know the cost might be a little prohibitive, but they're worth it imo.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:19 PM Post #460 of 1,968
I've tried 7 or 8 pads on them, and I'd personally rank pads for the Teak as such:  (Sound trumping comfort)

1) Stock pads
2) ZMF Eikon pads
6, 7, 8, etc) Sound got too bad with anything velour, so the other pads I tried I won't even list.

1) ZMF Eikon pads
2) ZMF Ori pad
3) Alpha Pads
6) stock

So... yeah, Eikon pads are clear winners in my book.  I know the cost might be a little prohibitive, but they're worth it imo.

I know it's not apples to apples but this ranking has to be somewhat similar/comparable for the THX00 cans. Have you thought about reposting this on the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review thread? I don't have any EMU cans, just the THX00 mahogany and PH's, but I'm ordering some Eikon pads soon based on this and my new adapter plates just arrived 2 days ago, what timing. I was considering the Omni pads but looks like they were relabeled and they are just making lambskin not cowhide anymore. Not that i have anything against lambskin, I just thought I read somewhere that the cowhide sounded better for some reason but I'm sure it's nothing drastic. Thank you for this extensive ranking.

For the record, I have alpha pads, TH600/900, Brainwavz Angled leather (maybe pleather, who knows?) and the stock pads all mounted on plates. I like the stock and Alpha most, but find the stock hurts my ears after awhile. I like the TH600/900 the least. Some day, I'll follow up with my personal ranking and reasoning.

Dec 14, 2016 at 1:30 PM Post #461 of 1,968
I know it's not apples to apples but this ranking has to be somewhat similar/comparable for the THX00 cans. Have you thought about reposting this on the Fostex x Massdrop TH-X00 Review thread? I don't have any EMU cans, just the THX00 mahogany and PH's, but I'm ordering some Eikon pads soon based on this and my new adapter plates just arrived 2 days ago, what timing. I was considering the Omni pads but looks like they were relabeled and they are just making lambskin not cowhide anymore. Not that i have anything against lambskin, I just thought I read somewhere that the cowhide sounded better for some reason but I'm sure it's nothing drastic. Thank you for this extensive ranking.

For the record, I have alpha pads, TH600/900, Brainwavz Angled leather (maybe pleather, who knows?) and the stock pads all mounted on plates. I like the stock and Alpha most, but find the stock hurts my ears after awhile. I like the TH600/900 the least. Some day, I'll follow up with my personal ranking and reasoning.

I've been over to that thread a few times.   Enough that I can't remember what I posted where.  hehehe   Feel free to link this over if you want.  

I don't have the X00's, and Massdrop pissed me off with the big drop fail fiasco, so I feel my comments are more on point if I just stay in this thread.

Edit:  It occurred to me that I could demonstrate roughly what the Eikon pads do for these headphones.   If you put your Alpha pads on, and smoosh them against your head so the drivers are closer to your ear, you will find this really apparent sweet spot that opens up the bass and mids a bit more.  It closes in the staging just a little bit compared to the alphas, but the sound is more true to the stock pads.   That's about the best way I can get you to understand what the Eikon pads sound like on the Teak.

Dec 14, 2016 at 3:54 PM Post #462 of 1,968

1) Stock pads
2) ZMF Eikon pads

1) ZMF Eikon pads
2) ZMF Ori pad
3) Alpha Pads
6) stock

Wow, this is great to know. So - TL,DR: if I think the stock pads are uncomfortable, the ZMF Eikon pads offer a huge increase in comfort with little-to-no compromise in sound quality? Any chance you have a picture of how they look on the Teaks?

Dec 14, 2016 at 4:43 PM Post #463 of 1,968

Wow, this is great to know. So - TL,DR: if I think the stock pads are uncomfortable, the ZMF Eikon pads offer a huge increase in comfort with little-to-no compromise in sound quality? Any chance you have a picture of how they look on the Teaks?

In my testing, the stock still sound best.  There is a little compromise in sound with the Eikon pads.  To say there is none would be misleading.  But yes, to your point, the comfort is a huge increase.  My entire ear fits easily inside, and the leather wrapped memory foam is more firm than others I've tried, but it is still very comfortable and provides a nice seal.

I don't wear glasses, so I couldn't comment on seal with those, sorry.

I did take pics about a week ago.  Someone wanted me to compare the Omni pads to the Eikon pads.  (Ori pads, sorry.  Going to take time to get used to that.)   Easier for me to link to the album.   http://imgur.com/a/tXyKH

I hope that helps.  

Enjoy

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #464 of 1,968
In my testing, the stock still sound best.  There is a little compromise in sound with the Eikon pads.  To say there is none would be misleading.  But yes, to your point, the comfort is a huge increase.  My entire ear fits easily inside, and the leather wrapped memory foam is more firm than others I've tried, but it is still very comfortable and provides a nice seal.

I don't wear glasses, so I couldn't comment on seal with those, sorry.

I did take pics about a week ago.  Someone wanted me to compare the Omni pads to the Eikon pads.  (Ori pads, sorry.  Going to take time to get used to that.)   Easier for me to link to the album.

I hope that helps.  

Enjoy

Can you comment on what changes in the bass, Mids and treble switching from the stock pads to the Eikon pads?

Dec 14, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #465 of 1,968
Can you comment on what changes in the bass, Mids and treble switching from the stock pads to the Eikon pads?

Bass seems to go down a little bit, mids seems to integrate better into the overall sound, and treble has yet to seem peaky or bright to me.  Bass is better using Eikon pads than the Omni or Alpha pads, imo.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back