E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Nov 28, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #421 of 1,966
Hi Everyone!

Would like to share my story here :)

I'm a gamer, my first of what I considered good headphone were Siberia v2 and I was quite happy with them at that time.
As I matured over years and Siberia v2 worn out I choose to get new sets of headphones and went for ATH-m50xBL, the earpads were pain but after buying other earpads I very much enjoyed them. Time passes and I feel that I want something better and lately I have been able to purchase almost everything I want (God Bless).

So now with the next headphone purchase I was looking at something better, more clear with a kick and good value.
I stumbled upon Fostex TH-X00 and read some reviews and without over thinking how you say it "pulled the trigger" :)
With that said, I always double check everything before really committing and so it happened, as I read more and more reviews I found that there is QC issues on Fostex and found these 
E-mu Teak ones.

I went deeper and found more reviews on these, after if not (non) consideration I cancelled the order on Fostex x00's and opted to E-mu Teak's :)
Since the drop is already over on MD I contacted Mr.Chan via email and he responded to me yesterday which I am very glad and I'm hoping to acquire the teaks with removable cable ASAP.

Thus my double check started and I am very pleased to say that after reading this thread (yes all 28 pages) I am waiting for price from Mr.Chan
I listen mostly EDM,Trance,House,Hip-Hop and occasionally some rock or classic/relaxing.
I'm thinking the first is to get Teak and burn some quality time on them and maybe get the rosewood after :)

Couple questions, my ears are somewhat big and m50x earpads were pain for me on long sessions, seems that the inside is somewhat bigger than m50x?

Ok, so Eikon pads on the Teak: the pads are bigger than the cups on the headphone, but only by about 3mm-ish. They weigh less than the omni pads, and it's noticeable on these cans. They aren't as thick as the omni pads, but are super soft and the memory foam is absolutely perfect. They seal great, are the right blend of firm and cushy, and don't seem to be getting hot.

Sound: If you squish the Omni pads or Alpha pads in while wearing them, there is this sweet spot where you get a little more presence in the entire presentation of the sound. That is right where the Eikon pads sit on my head. I'm getting about 95.5% of stock pad sound, where the omni pads were maybe 89%. Out of all the pads I tried, the omni were the best, until there Eikon pads came along.

There is a little bit of a recessed mid I detect compared to stock, but the slight emphasis on treble the Omni pads had is reduced. It's a nice step in the right direction, and I highly recommend them.

(Going to go try them on other headphones now.)

Seems I might need these hehehe :)
Also these stands are looking very nice with the teak! Would love to hear about them a bit more if possible borrego and chry5alis!

While waiting for the delivery of the E-mu Teak, I took delivery of a teak headphone stand for perfect material matching: 
regular_smile .gif

Has anyone tried the new wood options Mr.Chan introduced?
Palo Santo,Zebra,Sapele sound interesting :)

Quote:

Nov 29, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #422 of 1,966
Hi,

Do you know if M.Chan is open to selling cups to non-emu headphones owners ? I recently went for the th x00 Mahogany as the 100 dollars extra for the e-mu are currently an issue, but i could potentially be interested in the future by a pair of chambers to see how the sound changes. Also, amongst the e-mu offers, what chambers should i go for for the more bass ? Rosenwood / PH would be my guess ? Thanks.

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #423 of 1,966
Ah man... I just got over the EMU purchase and need to enjoy... You distracting dude you! Don't increase the urge for the 7200 just yet man...

Damn. I think we'll all die bankrupt with infinite cans and dacs and amps hahaha!!!

AT Khan I'm done when I get the Teaks hehe. The Denon looks good and I think I saw you commenting on a 7200 thread as well but I don't think the Denon will be a large improvement over what we have. Fancy marketing about free edge drivers are all well and good but OEM Foster variants are all free edge biodynamic :wink:. (It's in the foster PDF).

Too rich for my blood anyway. I'm maxed out at the 4-500 range. Will be heading to Japan in December and will see if I can listen to a pair of JVC DX2000($1200 range) to see how they compare if possible. :)

Nov 29, 2016 at 5:37 AM Post #424 of 1,966
Hi,

Do you know if M.Chan is open to selling cups to non-emu headphones owners ? I recently went for the th x00 Mahogany as the 100 dollars extra for the e-mu are currently an issue, but i could potentially be interested in the future by a pair of chambers to see how the sound changes. Also, amongst the e-mu offers, what chambers should i go for for the more bass ? Rosenwood / PH would be my guess ? Thanks.

Dalanor, I got a response from Chan yesterday and for bass he recommends ebony. I don't believe they sell to non-emu customers though. Can ask him to reconfirm.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #425 of 1,966
Dalanor, I got a response from Chan yesterday and for bass he recommends ebony. I don't believe they sell to non-emu customers though. Can ask him to reconfirm.

They do sell to non-emu headphone owners, however not the teak cups. Also when stock gets low for some woods, he may prioritize emu owners and putting the cups on new emu headphones.

Nov 29, 2016 at 7:36 AM Post #426 of 1,966
They do sell to non-emu headphone owners, however not the teak cups. Also when stock gets low for some woods, he may prioritize emu owners and putting the cups on new emu headphones.

Thanks for the clarification man! Now we know for sure.

Nov 29, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #427 of 1,966
Ok, thanks Adrian and Fjrabon for the clarification. How easy it is to remove old Fostex cups and install new E-MU ones on a TH X00 ? I'm not exactly very good with a screwdriver in my hands.

Nov 30, 2016 at 5:01 AM Post #429 of 1,966
Ok, thanks Adrian and Fjrabon for the clarification. How easy it is to remove old Fostex cups and install new E-MU ones on a TH X00 ? I'm not exactly very good with a screwdriver in my hands.

It's pretty easy if you have the correct size screw driver. Also a magnetic tip screw driver is very helpful.

Nov 30, 2016 at 9:50 AM Post #430 of 1,966

Eudis, fjrabon nailed it. Check out the first page of the TH-X00 thread for disassembly pics.

Dec 2, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #431 of 1,966
Anyone tried both the E-Mu Teak and the Beyer DT-1770/1990?

I have the DT-1770 and am craving a touch more bass so am considering trying out the Teaks, but would hate to give up the detail and clarity of the Beyers. And I'd hate to go back to the super-recessed mids of Beyer's DT-770/990. So I guess I'm looking for a shallow V-shaped response, while the DT-1770 is more neutral to my ears. 

Dec 3, 2016 at 7:56 PM Post #432 of 1,966
Anyone tried both the E-Mu Teak and the Beyer DT-1770/1990?

I have the DT-1770 and am craving a touch more bass so am considering trying out the Teaks, but would hate to give up the detail and clarity of the Beyers. And I'd hate to go back to the super-recessed mids of Beyer's DT-770/990. So I guess I'm looking for a shallow V-shaped response, while the DT-1770 is more neutral to my ears. 

If you volume match the E-mu Teak and the DT1770 at mid range frequency (i.e. vocal), the Teak will have more bsss quantity, especially if you are not driving the DT1770 with a high impedance output amp.

You might find the Teak' s treble a bit too hot compare to your DT1770 though.

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:20 PM Post #433 of 1,966
If you volume match the E-mu Teak and the DT1770 at mid range frequency (i.e. vocal), the Teak will have more bsss quantity, especially if you are not driving the DT1770 with a high impedance output amp.

You might find the Teak' s treble a bit too hot compare to your DT1770 though.

Thanks... treble as hot as something like the DT-990? Or hotter?!

Dec 4, 2016 at 7:34 PM Post #434 of 1,966
Thanks... treble as hot as something like the DT-990? Or hotter?!

Bah, nowhere near that bright. The headphone I regret buying the most were those 990 premium. Pure treble-murder.

I'd also disagree with it being hotter than the 1770. They seemed to have different treble emphasis to me. 1770 seemed brighter on the mid and upper treble, teak weren't as hot overall but emphasised mid treble - not the upper end that grates my nerves so bad. I returned the 1770 I bought due to treble fatigue (and a slight imbalance between drivers), but have no problems with my Teaks. I'm not using stock pads either, which might have something to do with it too. I'm treble sensitive, and go 6+ hour sessions 5 days a week at work with my Teaks.

Dec 5, 2016 at 3:00 AM Post #435 of 1,966
I'm also thinking of buying EMU Teak. All I want is a great bass response and smooth treble. I missed the Massdrop drop though...

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back