E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Dec 22, 2016 at 10:57 AM Post #481 of 1,969
  There's no sonic difference between the driver, pads and assembly structures.  Now there may be some variation between a given EMU Ebony and a given Fostex Ebony, but that will likely be about the same as the variation from any two Fostex Ebonies or any two EMU ebonies.  There's always unit to unit variation, especially with wood.  

Now if you're asking if there is an appreciable difference between the EMU teak with teak cups and the Fostex Ebony as well, then yes.  The teak not only uses a different wood, but also the interior of the cup is routed out differently.

Confirmed, and this change makes the teakwood cup superior to every cup I've tried on my headphones to date.

Understood regarding the variations from the individual sets, that makes sense. And thanks for the impressions of the teak. Guess I'll cross my fingers that Chan gets back to me soon, or that the next drop comes up quickly. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:08 AM Post #482 of 1,969

Understood regarding the variations from the individual sets, that makes sense. And thanks for the impressions of the teak. Guess I'll cross my fingers that Chan gets back to me soon, or that the next drop comes up quickly. 

if you buy directly from chan, and are willing to pay the shipping for it, the Teak comes with an incredibly nice box (or at least did at one point, not sure if they're still using it).  However, it's cost prohibitive to ship the Teaks with the wooden box for the massdrop drops.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:34 PM Post #484 of 1,969
  I haven't been following this thread closely but I thought the EMU and Fostex THX00 were tuned differently?  Is it accepted that, provided the same wood is used, the EMU and Fostex sound the same?

yes.  There is some debate about whether this has always been the case.  It's possible that the early EMUs used slightly different stock from Foster.  However, at this point they seem to use all the same exact sonic tuning pieces, with a couple of minor cosmetic differences in the hardware.  I've heard an EMU ebony and I've heard a THX00 with EMU ebony cups, and they sounded practically identical, well within normal unit to unit variation range.  

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:40 PM Post #485 of 1,969

yes.  There is some debate about whether this has always been the case.  It's possible that the early EMUs used slightly different stock from Foster.  However, at this point they seem to use all the same exact sonic tuning pieces, with a couple of minor cosmetic differences in the hardware.  I've heard an EMU ebony and I've heard a THX00 with EMU ebony cups, and they sounded practically identical, well within normal unit to unit variation range.  

Cool, didn't know that.  Thanks!

I've been eyeing the EMU Rosewoods lately... They don't seem to pop up on the F/S forums though.

Dec 22, 2016 at 1:56 PM Post #486 of 1,969
Cool, didn't know that.  Thanks!

I've been eyeing the EMU Rosewoods lately... They don't seem to pop up on the F/S forums though.

Yeah, chan mentioned it's the least popular to be bought stock on emu headphones. The teak is by far the most popular then ebony does about twice what rosewood does. Most of the rosewood he sells are sold as cup only, presumably to THX00 owners.

Dec 22, 2016 at 2:09 PM Post #487 of 1,969
Yeah, chan mentioned it's the least popular to be bought stock on emu headphones. The teak is by far the most popular then ebony does about twice what rosewood does. Most of the rosewood he sells are sold as cup only, presumably to THX00 owners.

Hmm, that's interesting.  Is the best way to order these by waiting for another Massdrop or reaching out to chan directly?  And if direct is the way to go, what is the best way?

Dec 22, 2016 at 5:13 PM Post #488 of 1,969
  Hmm, that's interesting.  Is the best way to order these by waiting for another Massdrop or reaching out to chan directly?  And if direct is the way to go, what is the best way?

From what I've found you can reach out to Chan at enquiry@emu.com. I haven't gotten a response from my original note over the weekend or the one I sent this morning--I imagine he's pretty swamped. If you do manage to get a response, I'd be very interested (and jealous) to hear what he says.

EDIT: Probably worth mentioning that apparently there's going to be another E-MU drop "after Christmas" according to the thread on Massdrop, but details beyond that seem nonexistent. 

Dec 22, 2016 at 11:13 PM Post #489 of 1,969
Does anyone know if the Teaks with Teak cups are actually the same weight as the TH-X00 mahoganies? I'm interested in them but I don't think I'd want anything heavier than the X00 mahoganies, unless it's only by a little.

Dec 23, 2016 at 8:56 AM Post #490 of 1,969
  Does anyone know if the Teaks with Teak cups are actually the same weight as the TH-X00 mahoganies? I'm interested in them but I don't think I'd want anything heavier than the X00 mahoganies, unless it's only by a little.

the teak is a negligible amount lighter.

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:28 PM Post #491 of 1,969
Ive also placed an order with him and paid for it and havent heard back in a few days. Was getting responses before that, but hes probably busy due to getting the MD shipments out and of course the holidays.

Dec 24, 2016 at 10:33 PM Post #492 of 1,969
Ive also placed an order with him and paid for it and havent heard back in a few days. Was getting responses before that, but hes probably busy due to getting the MD shipments out and of course the holidays.

If you don't mind my asking, when did you order, what did you get, and how much did he charge? Oh, and is enquiry@emu.com the right address? 

Dec 26, 2016 at 10:04 AM Post #493 of 1,969
Dekoni Premium Ear Pads works very will with Emu Teak ,,

better than the stock pads by miles in comfort ,, and sound feels more smooth although very subtle

i recommend it to any TH-X00 or Emu headphone .. i like it very much ..

i hope they release it out of mass drop soon ..

Dec 27, 2016 at 1:43 PM Post #494 of 1,969
I asked Emu also and I'm quite confused about the wood selection and also the price seems went up a lot?

Teak headphones with detachable cable are 500.

Cups:

$120 for Ebony, Palo Santo
 $100 for Rose,  Mahogany, Purple Heart, Sabili, Zebra

He suggested to take Teak + Ebony to have the best of both worlds.

Now, That would be 500 + 120 + shipping... = quite a lot. Now, is that easy to change cups that will not damage the wood/structure/screws after a couple of changes? Also, if it takes like 30 minutes.. I don't know how willing will I be chaning the sound.

On a side note, I dont really like the Teak color but seems most people find it the best?

Dec 27, 2016 at 2:14 PM Post #495 of 1,969
  Dekoni Premium Ear Pads works very will with Emu Teak ,,

better than the stock pads by miles in comfort ,, and sound feels more smooth although very subtle

i recommend it to any TH-X00 or Emu headphone .. i like it very much ..

i hope they release it out of mass drop soon ..

Thanks for the tip! Any chance you have a picture of how they look on your Teaks? Very curious; the pads are reasonably priced too, $40 on Amazon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back