E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Apr 18, 2016 at 2:10 AM Post #121 of 1,967
  Ebony is $25 extra, too...

Yeah that was quite the shock when I read it was $25 extra too. Probably explains why the Rosewood is so popular, since the Rosewood and Ebony, imo, are the more exotic looking of the three options.

Apr 19, 2016 at 11:22 AM Post #122 of 1,967
Hey all, I've completed my review of the E-MU Walnut here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/805568/review-discussions-impressions-creative-labs-e-mu-walnut-wood-series-headphones-by-soundtown
If you're a user of the Walnut, feel free to tell me what you think and if my descriptions match your perception of the Walnut's sound signature.
Any and all criticism on my writing is welcome too. :)

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #123 of 1,967
Just one more day left to join the emu teak massdrop. Ive been reading up about teak as a tonewood - it has the natural dense qualities and hardness you would expect from a tonewood but is hardly ever used in accoustic guitars as it is notoriously difficult to work with tools due to silica being present in the wood. No wonder then that e-Mu have stated this is the only time they will be producing teak.

It strikes me that for once, massdrop are putting out a truly limited edition headphone! Fancy that!

Apr 22, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #124 of 1,967
Just one more day left to join the emu teak massdrop. Ive been reading up about teak as a tonewood - it has the natural dense qualities and hardness you would expect from a tonewood but is hardly ever used in accoustic guitars as it is notoriously difficult to work with tools due to silica being present in the wood. No wonder then that e-Mu have stated this is the only time they will be producing teak.

It strikes me that for once, massdrop are putting out a truly limited edition headphone! Fancy that!

That signal is just a poor man's AV transducer. To really understand amplifying, you need to adjust with only low-pass feedbacks to work with.

Apr 22, 2016 at 7:38 PM Post #126 of 1,967

When did they say this is the only time they're producing the Teak? They made the Teak before it was on Massdrop. It's not a Massdrop exclusive.

Apr 22, 2016 at 9:48 PM Post #127 of 1,967

The E-MU Teak, in all its variants, shouldn't be a Massdrop exclusive. All wood versions of the E-MU Teak should be available on Creative's website too, not just Massdrop.
The only exclusivity regarding the E-MU Teak is Mr Chan from E-MU mentioning on the Massdrop Teak discussion page that the Ebony and Rosewood cups would also be sold as separate accessories you can buy, but not for the Teak wood cups. Other than that, I don't see any mentioning of exclusivity regarding the E-MU Teak headphones.

Apr 23, 2016 at 3:22 AM Post #128 of 1,967
Ah apologies, I misread that due to production costs e-Mu said that they would no longer be making the teak available. But you're right, that applies only to purchasing the wooden cups separately.

Apr 23, 2016 at 6:32 AM Post #129 of 1,967
No worries, it was an honest mistake. :)
The Teak not being sold separately though gives a lot of incentive to buy the Teak version of the headphones. Considering taking a major upgrade from my Alessandro MS2 and might just go with the E-MU Teak.
Sigh, diminishing returns will totally bite me some day soon.

May 9, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #130 of 1,967
got a picture of my ebony cups.  no idea when I'll actually have them in my hands though, haha.

I believe the shadowed man in the reflection is our good friend Chan.

May 11, 2016 at 3:19 PM Post #131 of 1,967
Hello all!

Just got my Teak's about 2 hours ago and I have to say I'm impressed so far, here are some free flow notes from my first listening.

Free flow notes taken: (I have played drums for 17 years thus the drum focus)

Crisp detail on the highs, not shrill
Interesting, had to turn up amp about another notch and a half compared to THX00
Imaging nice, not HD598 crazy nice, but good
Bass is present, tame, very good, not resonant and excessive, tight, warm. Toms (drums) sound fantastic.
Vocals are awesome, can make out words in songs better.
Hi-hat detail, top notch, very very good, can hear the pressure of the hat change.
Treble can get a little to high with horns, ouch, had to turn down.
Less resonance on the bass compared to THX00, Sub-bass lower, actually prefer the bass presentation here
Mid sound juicy but not crazy more mids than the THx00, vocals are sublime
Treble can be a little hot still, hopefully that simmers down, the detail is fantastic though

Songs listened to:
Between the buried and Me - Node, The Coma Machine
Snarky Puppy - Lingus
Tori Amos - Hey Jupiter, Past the Mission
TesseracT - Dystopia
Opeth - Ghost of Perdition

May 11, 2016 at 9:00 PM Post #132 of 1,967
Received mine today, as well. Delivered just as I was going out the door for a short two day business trip. Rats! At least I got to see them. Gorgeous! Will give them a quick listen Friday and burn them in over the weekend. Impressions coming Sunday or Monday, with comparison to TH-X00. The teak cups are beautifully grained.

May 12, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #135 of 1,967
I got shipping notification from Massdrop about a week ago and still no activity, but it's DHL so whaddaya expect?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back