E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
Apr 16, 2016 at 9:01 PM Post #107 of 1,967
The new pics of the ebony cups are beautiful.

I know. I'm seriously considering ditching the Purple Hearts and getting an Ebony. I'm scared though about which cups I'd get. Seems like there's a ton of variation. I also really love the Rosewoods...

Already have a Mahgony TH-X00 and I'm really happy with it. At least with the E-Mu you'll have a slightly different pair of headphones.

Apr 16, 2016 at 9:32 PM Post #108 of 1,967
  Just to let you all know, the Teak is on Massdrop again:
https://www.massdrop.com/buy/e-mu-teak-headphones
Reading the discussion on the Teak's Massdrop page, by the way, was quite interesting.

Why is it on again when the first hasn't even shipped yet?

Apr 17, 2016 at 3:38 AM Post #111 of 1,967
  I know. I'm seriously considering ditching the Purple Hearts and getting an Ebony. I'm scared though about which cups I'd get. Seems like there's a ton of variation. I also really love the Rosewoods...

Already have a Mahgony TH-X00 and I'm really happy with it. At least with the E-Mu you'll have a slightly different pair of headphones.

Based on what I've read on the Massdrop discussions, you need not worry which cups you choose. Mr Chan, the Project Manager for the E-MU Wood Series, said there are plans to put the other cups on sale. The idea is you can get a Teak or possibly other Fostex headphones, pop off the current cups and smack on the new one. Sounds pretty nifty if they actually carry that out.
However, if my memory serves me right, I think the Teak wood cups are the only type of cups you wouldn't be able to buy separately that way. Something about exclusivity of the supply. So to get a Teak with Teak wood cups, you'll have to get the Teak Teak, if that makes any sense haha
Regarding the sound variations, think there's also some descriptions on the Massdrop page, but I'm not holding too much stock in the different Teak models sounding too different.
If you have a TH-X00 already though, I'm not terribly sure why you'd want a Purpleheart or a Teak, they should sound very much more similar than different based on what I've read.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:11 AM Post #112 of 1,967
The new photo showing the cups have gross finishes approching Lawton quality. The Teak will be a better value to the TH-X00 in my opinion.

Apr 17, 2016 at 6:16 AM Post #113 of 1,967
Yea, I've followed the discussion thread on Massdrop since the first Teak drop. Kinda was holding out for detachable cable version, but them cups just look do Damn sexy! Me want!

Apr 17, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #114 of 1,967
I cancelled my purplehearts once I seen how gorgeous the rosewood cups look.  I think I prefer to hold off though and see if they bring out a version with detachable cable.  Its kinda a deal breaker for me.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:17 PM Post #115 of 1,967
The new photo showing the cups have gross finishes approching Lawton quality. The Teak will be a better value to the TH-X00 in my opinion.

Oh, I didn't notice that... Was thinking of the TH-x00 as a possible end-game headphone (or at least one of them) but if that's the case maybe I should hold my hopes for the Teak instead. Thanks for pointing that out.
Also, something that just occurred to me is that it's possible that Creative/E-MU could have better warranty support than Fostex. Never bought a product from Fostex so this is coming out of ignorance but Creative, in my experience, has pretty decent post-purchase customer support. Perhaps another thing to consider apart from the QC issue of the TH-X00 cup's finish.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:23 PM Post #116 of 1,967
  I cancelled my purplehearts once I seen how gorgeous the rosewood cups look.  I think I prefer to hold off though and see if they bring out a version with detachable cable.  Its kinda a deal breaker for me.

Based on Mr Chan's comments on the Massdrop Teak discussion page, E-MU is working on a detachable cable version of the Teak. Supposedly out in 3 months time, but that's only a comment. After my discussions with the E-MU folks at a Singapore tech fair, the detachable cable issue seems to be one they're very aware of and are taking into account.
That said, not entirely sure it'll happen but Mr Chan's comment means there's some hope in a detachable cable version coming out eventually.

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:29 PM Post #117 of 1,967
Yea, I've followed the discussion thread on Massdrop since the first Teak drop. Kinda was holding out for detachable cable version, but them cups just look do Damn sexy! Me want!

Ah ok, so you'll probably have a good idea on what's going on with the Teak. And yes, I completely understand, it took a lot of self-control not to impulse buy a lot of audio gear when I first started out... Haha
Hope you enjoy your purchase if you decide to commit and get it. :)

Apr 17, 2016 at 11:45 PM Post #118 of 1,967
  Ah ok, so you'll probably have a good idea on what's going on with the Teak. And yes, I completely understand, it took a lot of self-control not to impulse buy a lot of audio gear when I first started out... Haha
Hope you enjoy your purchase if you decide to commit and get it. :)

I just bowed out of the Purple Heart drop. Think they look amazing, but I've got a feeling the sound isn't going to be that different than the Mahogany's.

Going to order one of the E-Mu's. I think the Teak will have a closer sig to the the TH-X00's, so it's down to the Rosewood and Ebony cups. The Ebony cups scare me though, so much variation. Some of the cups I love, others I just don't like at all...

I'd love to have a detachable cable, but who knows if that'll really happen or not. I do like the E-Mu's having a 1/8th jack. I can use them with some portable gear, although unfortunately that cable is still super long.

Apr 18, 2016 at 2:05 AM Post #120 of 1,967
  I just bowed out of the Purple Heart drop. Think they look amazing, but I've got a feeling the sound isn't going to be that different than the Mahogany's.

Going to order one of the E-Mu's. I think the Teak will have a closer sig to the the TH-X00's, so it's down to the Rosewood and Ebony cups. The Ebony cups scare me though, so much variation. Some of the cups I love, others I just don't like at all...

I'd love to have a detachable cable, but who knows if that'll really happen or not. I do like the E-Mu's having a 1/8th jack. I can use them with some portable gear, although unfortunately that cable is still super long.

Yeah I haven't really seen many people commenting on the Purpleheart possibly sounding different but then again there's just too much discussion around the TH-X00 to possibly read it all.
Well if you're worried about the variations in the Ebony, the Rosewood seems to be rather popular in discussions. It'll also save you $25. Just a thought. :)
And yeah, no detachable cable kinda blows. I personally wouldn't use the Teak with a DAP in my pocket due to the sheer length of the cable but if you can make that work, the Teaks drive surprisingly easy. At the tech fair I found them easier to drive than the lower end Walnuts. This makes sense though, given the impedance difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back