E-MU Wooden Series Headphones
May 14, 2016 at 7:58 AM Post #137 of 1,967
Currently burning in my Teaks.  Thought I would send a few photos.

The box is adequate for shipping, but pretty useless for storage.  I will be looking for an alternative in that area.

The cable construction appears to be identical to my THX00 and TH500RP with the exception of a 1/8" plug and a threaded 1/8">1/4" adapter.  I didn't do a side by side comparison with my THX00 but the cable is about the same length,

Right cup.

Left cup. (The pictures aren't great, sorry about that,)  The teak is beautiful...nicely grained.  The clear finish that is applied to the cups is not as glossy as that on the THX00, but I wouldn't say it is matte, either.  It has a slight sheen to it.  The silver colored hardware is a nice contrast to the dark wood of the cups.

A view of the cup with the pad removed.

The ear pads also appear to be identical to those on the THX00 and TH500RP.

For those familiar with the THX00, and other current Fostex models, the design and construction of the E-MU Teak is, as far as I can see, identical.

May 14, 2016 at 2:53 PM Post #138 of 1,967
  Currently burning in my Teaks.  Thought I would send a few photos.

The box is adequate for shipping, but pretty useless for storage.  I will be looking for an alternative in that area.

The cable construction appears to be identical to my THX00 and TH500RP with the exception of a 1/8" plug and a threaded 1/8">1/4" adapter.  I didn't do a side by side comparison with my THX00 but the cable is about the same length,

Right cup.

Left cup. (The pictures aren't great, sorry about that,)  The teak is beautiful...nicely grained.  The clear finish that is applied to the cups is not as glossy as that on the THX00, but I wouldn't say it is matte, either.  It has a slight sheen to it.  The silver colored hardware is a nice contrast to the dark wood of the cups.

A view of the cup with the pad removed.

The ear pads also appear to be identical to those on the THX00 and TH500RP.

For those familiar with the THX00, and other current Fostex models, the design and construction of the E-MU Teak is, as far as I can see, identical.

Very nice!

Really regretting not getting one...

May 14, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #139 of 1,967
  Very nice!

Really regretting not getting one...

From what I hear, so far, with only about 20 hours of burn in, the E-MU Teak do not have as pronounced a bass presence as the THX00...less quantity, perhaps, but the quality of the bass is good.  Sound stage may be a bit wider than the THX00...but not certain of that.  Listening to them straight out of my Onkyo CD deck.  Will try them with iPod Classic > JDS C5 later.

May 14, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #140 of 1,967

From what I hear, so far, with only about 20 hours of burn in, the E-MU Teak do not have as pronounced a bass presence as the THX00...less quantity, perhaps, but the quality of the bass is good.  Sound stage may be a bit wider than the THX00...but not certain of that.  Listening to them straight out of my Onkyo CD deck.  Will try them with iPod Classic > JDS C5 later.

Cool, keep updating with your thoughts. 

May 16, 2016 at 10:00 PM Post #142 of 1,967
Sigh... DHL.... My pair of Teak is still being held in their transit facility in Germany... Considering I am in Hong Kong, my pair of Teak will actually make a round trip of the world since leaving the China factory before arriving to me. Massdrop should have the manufacturer to fulfill the order directly from China or Singapore.

May 18, 2016 at 9:35 AM Post #143 of 1,967
if anybody in Atlanta is interested in hearing these first hand, Chan will be at the Canlanta meet/show with both the teak and walnuts plus some of his custom rosewood and ebony cups.

May 18, 2016 at 5:37 PM Post #144 of 1,967
Really unsure whether to get some teaks or th-x00's....seems from a review over on the headphones subreddit that the e-mu's are clearly better except the fact that they have less pronounced (however more detailed) bass. 

May 18, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #145 of 1,967
Really unsure whether to get some teaks or th-x00's....seems from a review over on the headphones subreddit that the e-mu's are clearly better except the fact that they have less pronounced (however more detailed) bass. 

I'll be comparing the THX00, TH900, THX00 with ebony cups and EMU teak head to head Saturday. I'll report back.

May 18, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #146 of 1,967
I'll be comparing the THX00, TH900, THX00 with ebony cups and EMU teak head to head Saturday. I'll report back.

THX00 with ebony cups? Was this a Lawton mod or someone self-modding?

May 18, 2016 at 8:28 PM Post #147 of 1,967
May 19, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #149 of 1,967
Only got my teaks yesterday, and its still too early but first impressions are very good with these.  Been running them through with trance music and breakbeat, but the mids are sweet enough on these to handle most genres I think.

Early thoughts are - very very light which is good.  I don't think they would handle much abuse being out and about though.
Cable is loong.  And starting to twist already.  I can handle that, but replaceable cables would be a big improvement.
Ear pads are very comfy..  No problem with the eggshell protein material, except now I am very aware I have dandruff lol.  Must change shampoo.
The ear pads actually revolve quite freely.  And finding a good seal on your head is very important to the sound quality.  Its worth spending 5 min in front of a mirror to sort them out.
Nice bass, imaging, soundstage.  Actually enjoying the teak cups much more than I thought I would.  Looking forward to trying out the other woods when they arrive.

May 19, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #150 of 1,967
Have you experienced much difference moving between ebony and teak on the e-Mus?

I guess I should have been clearer.  I have the THX00 Mahogany now.  On friday night I'll be getting my ebony cups directly from Chan from E-MU (I'm picking him up at the airport, haha).  My plan is to change out the cups friday night so that I have the ebony THX00 ready to go for saturday.  Chan will have the E-MU Teaks, the Teak Rosewood and Teak Ebony (along with the E-MU Walnut as well).  I know somebody else is bringing the THX00 mahogany to Canlanta and a TH900.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back