E-MU 1212M goes for the modded RME's jugular
Apr 30, 2004 at 4:20 PM Post #167 of 260
That's some big caps. I need the PCI slots so I can put the on the back of the card.

Is it secure having those caps soldered to the board, especially the ones facing down?

Apr 30, 2004 at 5:08 PM Post #168 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
That's some big caps. I need the PCI slots so I can put the on the back of the card.

Is it secure having those caps soldered to the board, especially the ones facing down?

They are very securely on there, only the three "red" ones weigh much, and they can go through the holes, so they ain't going nowhere
biggrin.gif

By putting them on the back of the card, you prevent yourself from using a card in the slot above the EMU, however, at least with the ones that I have on the front of it, I can still use a card in the slot below.

May 1, 2004 at 2:25 AM Post #169 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
That is what I have seen everywhere I've looked. I know it is sold at Guitar Ceneter, so perhaps it is possible to haggle their price down (as they are legendary for).

Guitar Center has them? I didn't know that!!! Cool!
biggrin.gif

May 1, 2004 at 4:53 AM Post #171 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
I figured you'd enjoy that
biggrin.gif

LOL Well, they will match any ligitimate internet price and I can have instant gratification... What's more to want!
wink.gif

May 1, 2004 at 3:20 PM Post #172 of 260
I just picked one of these things up a Guitar Center for $199. The install was easy and I just used the RCA adapters and hooked it up to my PPA/diamond buffer amp and hd650/zu headphones.

Man it sounds amazing. I am just playing songs through iTunes. Is there any tricks I need to do or am I setup. If this thing can improve beyond what it's doing now, I'll won't believe it. I was only using my ipod as a source before, so is a big jump in sound quality.

I was originally going to use a Roku soundbridge to play my music a home but they kept delaying and won't support the new Apple lossless audio anytime soon, is this looked like the best solution. The specs on this blow away the Roku anyway. I now just need to move my pc to a better location, so I can relax on the couch with a wireless keyboard and mouse.

May 1, 2004 at 4:36 PM Post #173 of 260
Well if want better quality, use Foobar2000 or Winamp since they support ASIO output mode. This is a pure signal output. If you don't do this, it will go through kmixer (the windows mixer)

You also have to setup your mixer router correctly to keep the signal pure. In the ASIO strip, insert a SEND to your physical output. If you don't do this, it will go through the soundcard's mixer.

May 1, 2004 at 4:54 PM Post #174 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
Well if want better quality, use Foobar2000 or Winamp since they support ASIO output mode. This is a pure signal output. If you don't do this, it will go through kmixer (the windows mixer)

You also have to setup your mixer router correctly to keep the signal pure. In the ASIO strip, insert a SEND to your physical output. If you don't do this, it will go through the soundcard's mixer.

Thanks. I was wondering how to get a real line-out without the adjustment. I wondering if those programs will support the apple lossless files, though?

edit: foobar 2000 doesn support the new codec yet. I'll check on the windamp. i'm sure they'll be plug-ins soon.

May 1, 2004 at 11:46 PM Post #176 of 260
Is it better to order some someplace other than directly from e-mu? Price seems to be the same everywhere, I am going to order one shortly myself, are placed like zzsounds or other online stores good for shipping to Canada? Or should I just stick with the e-mu site?

May 2, 2004 at 6:36 AM Post #178 of 260
Here is a desrciption of the parts needed and where to put the to mod the analog board with blackgates and/or better opamps. Since I went for the bypass mod on the above card, these mods weren't applicable to it. I will try these mods on my EMU once I recieve it.

You need:
(again all blackgate standard series if avliable)

Red: 16V 1000uF (x1) you might want to use a bigger uF value if you upgrade teh opamps to more power-hungy ones
Yellow: 16V 100uF (x3)
Green: 16V 10uF (x6)
Light blue: 50V 4.7uF (x1)
Magenta: 16V 47uF (x1)
Purple: remove and bridge the solder points

Dark blue: these are the opamps that can be removed and replaced, either by dropping in SOIC dual-channel chips like the AD8620, or by installing the following adapter, with a DIP8 socket mounted on it: SOIC to DIP8 adapter

Then you would mount two single channel SOIC opamps to the following adapter and plug it into one of the sockets: DIP8 to 2x SOIC adapter

If you replace the opamps, you'll either need two dual-channel chips, or two of the first adapters, (plus two of the later adapters and four single channel chips) in parentheses for each type of opamp you want to try.

AnalogBlackgates.jpg

May 2, 2004 at 6:46 AM Post #179 of 260
What is going on on the back of the analog I/O card?

What is the connection made from the purple to jacks?

May 2, 2004 at 6:52 AM Post #180 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
What is going on on the back of the analog I/O card?

What is the connection made from the purple to jacks?

Those aer the blackgate capacitors to send the sound directly from the DAC to the ouput jacks, i.e. the bypass mod. I will have to see how the opamps chaning mod goes before I can say which method produces the best results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back