E-MU 1212M goes for the modded RME's jugular
Apr 28, 2004 at 5:38 AM Post #151 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephonovich
BTW, you mention a Mobile Athlon... I thought those used a different socket than normal ones? Or are you using a laptop?

Nope they use the regula good ol' socket A, and I don't have a laptop. They Mobile 2500+ is currently the hot ticket in overclocking circles, since it runs at a lower voltage with less heat then the desktop model, people can push their speeds higher without resorting to phase-change cooling.

I'd get an Athlon64, but even the cheapest one is still $170, plus $150 for a good new mobo, which is just too much for me right now.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:53 AM Post #152 of 260
Never heard of doing that... sounds interesting. Some people on Newegg are saying they're getting 2.8GHz out of the 2500+ Mobile. That's dang good for $91. Our 2000+ were $60, I think, and I have no idea what they're capable with good cooling. Stock 1.66GHz, so I'm guessing around 2.4GHz or so maybe without resorting to wind tunnel-like conditions.

Hehe... you want fun, try building a $10K server. We (being the Nebraska Technology Team; part of 4-H) did that for UNL. Dual 2.something Xeons, 5 36.7GB 15K RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 5, (think it was 5, anyway) 1GB of ECC, soon to be ugpraded to 2GB... that sucker cooked. And then, our leader of sorts loaded WinXP on it. Odd. But he wanted to burn it in, and was using a distributed computing project that predicts weather patterns, and it had to run on Windows, and XP supporting SMP, he chose that. Apparently he was churning out results about twice as fast as most of the other participants in the project
biggrin.gif
That sucker is nosiy, though. I think a total of 8 fans, including each one for the two redundant 500W power supplies. Got little plexiglass wind tunnels to route the air through. Oh yes, did I mention the hard drives were all hot swappable, as well as the power supplies? That sucker was awesome, I tell you.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:50 PM Post #155 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
UPDATE:
after a day of burn-in, I can definitely say that the blackgates on the digital card have greatly helped the sound quality. Clearer overall, more 3d soundstage, tighter imaging, and a "quicker" overall sound with cymbals and drums having more snap to them.

good good *rubs hands* I'm still waiting for my caps.

Which exact caps did you use where?

Apr 28, 2004 at 11:54 PM Post #156 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
good good *rubs hands* I'm still waiting for my caps.

Which exact caps did you use where?

OK, I did the three big ones around the transformer with standard series 50V, 220uF. There a 6 spread across the board that are 16V, 10uF, I replaced them with the FK series, same values (why FK? everyone was sold out of standard in that size). There are a couple by the IDE connector that are 16V 47uF, I used standard series, same values. Finally there is one by the SPDIF jacks and a couple in the upper-right corner that are 16V 10uF, and again I used standard series, same values. Holes in the board are too narrow for the legs of the blackgates, except in the case of the huge ones by the transformer, so I just soldered them to the board.

Apr 30, 2004 at 2:30 AM Post #158 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sduibek
So my newly modded E-MU really spanks the RME now in the SQ department, huh? It'll be a day of mourning when you're forced to part with it, I bet.
biggrin.gif

Not really, since I getting one of my own soon, despite my reservations about the interface, it just sounds too good not to with these caps on it.

Apr 30, 2004 at 4:39 AM Post #160 of 260
Sweet moddin... 13 caps in all changed? Any idea of the parts cost off the top of your head? Will you be listing parts with pics on where they go or instead go into biz for the mod hungry? Great job Peter!

Apr 30, 2004 at 6:09 AM Post #162 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
Sweet moddin... 13 caps in all changed? Any idea of the parts cost off the top of your head? Will you be listing parts with pics on where they go or instead go into biz for the mod hungry? Great job Peter!

You can get all of the following sizes from Blackgates' standard line, I like to order from partsconnexion.com. Everyone I contacted was sold out of the "yellow" ones, so I had to use the more expensive, and supposedly better FK series. If you get all of them in standard, it is $41.05+shipping from the place I mentioned. If you get them before they restock the sold out one, it will be about $25 more.

Red: 50V 200uF (x3)
Yellow: 16V 100uF (x6)
Green: 16V 47uF (x2)
Magenta: 16V 10uF (x3)

Blackgates.jpg

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:06 AM Post #163 of 260
You the man! One other thing, since this card has the output stage bypass, would any more or less caps need to be changed if left stock? Not sure if I want to bypass or not yet. It seems the bypass was almost a non issue in sound quality, agreed or no? 1% better, 10%? No card yet, soon...

Apr 30, 2004 at 7:22 AM Post #164 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xanadu777
You the man! One other thing, since this card has the output stage bypass, would any more or less caps need to be changed if left stock? Not sure if I want to bypass or not yet. It seems the bypass was almost a non issue in sound quality, agreed or no? 1% better, 10%? No card yet, soon...

Well, if you aren't going to bypass it, you could change out the caps on the analog board as well, this is only the digital board after all. The bypass mod only adds a small bit more detail/immediacy, it's by no means a required step as it is for the RME. The blackgates make a much larger difference.

FWIW, I think I am going to black-gate out the EMU that I get, both analog and digital boards, and perhaps stick some OPA627 in there, and call it a day for me and sources, at least for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back