E-MU 1212M goes for the modded RME's jugular
Apr 26, 2004 at 5:04 PM Post #136 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Iron_Dreamer
When I've ordered from partsconnexion it usually takes about a week or so.

You're doing all the ones on the digital board, right? You know the two in the bottom closest to the Firewire port are just for it and don't effect the audio in any way, right? Just making sure so you wouldn't bother changing them.

Well hopefully mine will be here. I'm closer to them than you are.

What can I say, it makes my Firewire faster
tongue.gif
Thanks for letting me know. But I did those a while ago
biggrin.gif

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:28 AM Post #139 of 260
Quote:

Yeah, use a dual 1/4" mono male to 1/4" stereo female adapter, if there is one out there, or if not, make one
biggrin.gif

And such a cable will eliminate the voltage difference between a balanced source to headphones?

Apr 27, 2004 at 7:53 AM Post #140 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
And such a cable will eliminate the voltage difference between a balanced source to headphones?

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The TRS mono connector shorts the inverted output of the balanced connector to ground, so the inverted output does not come into the equation, all you have is a regular positive signal and a ground.

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:18 AM Post #141 of 260
Quote:

I'm not quite sure what you mean. The TRS mono connector shorts the inverted output of the balanced connector to ground, so the inverted output does not come into the equation, all you have is a regular positive signal and a ground.

That's what I meant, thanks. I neglected to take any electrical engineering; physics 101 for science and engineering majors was enough for me!

Apr 28, 2004 at 1:49 AM Post #142 of 260
Quote:

Originally Posted by Distroyed
That's what I meant, thanks. I neglected to take any electrical engineering; physics 101 for science and engineering majors was enough for me!

Well I haven't done any EE either, it's all been DIY learning for me
biggrin.gif

In other news, I pimped out the EMU's digital card with Blackgates today, and it looks pretty fabulous, but due to size and fit constraints, some of the caps had to go on the back fo the card, which prevents large PCI card from being used in the slot above it, though my NIC fits fine. I will give the caps a while to burn in before I comment on the sound changes, if any.

I would have posted this much earlier today, but my CPU died, so I had to figure out what was wrong, then end up sticking in my backup CPU, so I'm finally back in business.

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:40 AM Post #144 of 260
Quote:

Well I haven't done any EE either, it's all been DIY learning for me
biggrin.gif

LOL, yeah, 1st year Physics was pretty damn useless. I don't really go up in Hot Air balloons at all, so knowing what the velocity of the balloon is right when it hits the ground after leaking "X" amount of air, etc. etc. is not something I need to know. (I was a smart ass and entered "0" for my answer, as the balloon stopped moving when it hit the ground. I got partial credit at least.
biggrin.gif
)

I wish I had taken more classes on circuits. I unfortunately started out in ChemE, instead. Ended up in Industrial Design. Go figure.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Apr 28, 2004 at 3:41 AM Post #145 of 260
Quote:

I would have posted this much earlier today, but my CPU died, so I had to figure out what was wrong, then end up sticking in my backup CPU, so I'm finally back in business.

Early summer weather killed it? Doh!

Always good to have a backup. Heheh, I have a backup for the backup.
biggrin.gif

Yes, I am paranoid.

-Ed

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:43 AM Post #146 of 260
image.php

THAT just simply gives me the willies.

Apr 28, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #147 of 260
Come on, that's not as bad as Dr. Coxx tonight with that red strip on his lips
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:04 AM Post #148 of 260
Yeah, I just got some 5 1/4" bay fans for our two XP 2000+ systems. Last summer we had crashing way too often... CPU temps were running around 60C (140F) at idle, 70C or so (158F) with a full load. Granted, that's below their specs, but they don't like it. Also got rounded IDE cables all around, which helped airflow immensely. Hottest I've seen 'em run with a 100% load is 58C. In July, when it hits 100+F and stays there, it will probably be worse, but hopefully this will help some. I just wish I hadn't skimped and had gotten decent cases... Yum-Cha with ONE 80mm rear fan and no room to dremel out another one sucks bigtime. Never buy generic cases. Never. Power supplies aren't that bad, though.

(-:Stephonovich:)

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:28 AM Post #149 of 260
The odd part is that even though tempertures outisde soared today, the temperture in my room was the same old balmy 80F as ever, so the higher outside temps didn't ahve anything to do with my CPU dying. The termperture had been its' usual 45-49C, so I don't know why it flamed out on me, it wasn't even a year old. Grr.... I guess it is a good excuse to get a Athlon Mobile barton, which usually can OC to 2.5Ghz at low voltages, so it should be a good bet to stay cool and quiet but fast in my system.

Apr 28, 2004 at 5:35 AM Post #150 of 260
Just checked... current house temperature is 73F, or 23C. Current CPU temp is 56C, or 133F. (MSI's tool reports in Celsius, house reports in Fahrenheit... I converted them out of boredom) MSI's auto-overclocker has wound the FSB up to 157.5, so combine that with a 12.5 multplier, and I'm running a normally 1666MHz CPU at 1969MHz. Not bad temps for a 300MHz jump. Oh, and the CPU is at a constant 100% load currently. Running Photon Tracer again. My record has been a FSB of 205MHz, which gave me a CPU speed of 2537MHz. I'm still trying to figure out how it was stable at that speed, since it didn't up the voltage any. Odd.

BTW, you mention a Mobile Athlon... I thought those used a different socket than normal ones? Or are you using a laptop?

EDIT: What sort of cooling are you using? How many case fans, and what HSF? I've just got the stock ones that the CPUs came with. I wonder how much lower a better one would give me, though...

(-:Stephonovich:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back