E-MU 0204 USB: Damn, They've Done it Again! And for $129!!!
Oct 6, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #228 of 310
I just got my 0204 today, but I'm hearing pops and clicks whenever I start or stop any audio stream.  The noise seems to coincide with the sample rate box being enabled/disabled in the E-MU 0204 USB control panel.  Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?  It's a deal breaker for me.

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:14 PM Post #230 of 310

Quote:
Sounds like bit rate isn't set right. Is it set at 44khz or 48khz?

I've had it set and tested at every available bitrate under the Windows 7 sound manager.  There are pops and clicks with every one...

I've also tried using both DirectSound and WASAPI outs in Winamp and there are still pops and clicks prior to an audio stream, and also a few seconds after the audio stream is finished.

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #231 of 310

Quote:
I've had it set and tested at every available bitrate under the Windows 7 sound manager.  There are pops and clicks with every one...

I've also tried using both DirectSound and WASAPI outs in Winamp and there are still pops and clicks prior to an audio stream, and also a few seconds after the audio stream is finished.

Are you on wireless?

Oct 6, 2011 at 7:30 PM Post #232 of 310
Oct 6, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #233 of 310
Oct 7, 2011 at 10:54 AM Post #234 of 310
Pops and clicks can come from various sources as like for an example too tight playback buffering, disk reads, background processes, DC offset, faulty hw/driver, SRC (is Vista/W7 set to resample), WiFi, etc.

Measure the card - http://audio.rightmark.org/index_new.shtml

Check your system - couple tools linked in my sig.

Try ASIO in ASIO software (though in this case it's probably unnecessary since E-MU USB ASIO  driver is type of wrapper driver). - http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Beatport-SYNC-Download-96408.html

jiiteepee

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:27 PM Post #235 of 310
[size=10pt][size=10pt]I've done all those tests and then some.  Emu's drivers for asynchronous USB audio clearly still needs work.  Creative's turning into the Numark of prosumer recording interfaces, though.  They come out with new products too often and now only seem to support them for about a year.[/size][/size]

Oct 8, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #236 of 310

What do you mean enabled/disabled?  If there's no application using the ASIO on the 0204, then the sample rate is selectable manually.  If there is an application using it, you cannot self-select.  So essentially you're saying the ticks and pauses get worse when ASIO is in use.  That's not surprising.

Quote:
I just got my 0204 today, but I'm hearing pops and clicks whenever I start or stop any audio stream.  The noise seems to coincide with the sample rate box being enabled/disabled in the E-MU 0204 USB control panel.  Has anyone been able to resolve this issue?  It's a deal breaker for me.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #237 of 310

Quote:
What do you mean enabled/disabled?  If there's no application using the ASIO on the 0204, then the sample rate is selectable manually.  If there is an application using it, you cannot self-select.  So essentially you're saying the ticks and pauses get worse when ASIO is in use.  That's not surprising. 

The ticks and pauses occur during this transition from "enabled" to "disabled" and vice versa.  I'm not using ASIO, at least I don't think so -- it happens even when I just load up Firefox to play a Youtube video.

Oct 8, 2011 at 5:40 PM Post #238 of 310
I'm honestly thinking about dumping this device. Let's go through some problems I've had:

1. Won't actually play back 16/44.1 files without changing bit depth or sample rate.

2. Won't play 24/192 files back in ASIO mode. Will play back in WASAPI.

3. Have to use ASIO4ALL if I want to use ASIO playback without pops and clicks.

4. No driver updates available. In fact, you can't find any drivers for this device on their web site.

I would not recommend this product to anyone.

Oct 9, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #239 of 310
Thing is I can't find any MME 24/192 DACs that sound this good at anywhere near this price, let alone ASIO ones.  I'm open to suggestions.  I have better luck with Kernal than WASAPI in Fubar for 24bit files rather than Winamp with ASIO.  I also don't have your problem of playing 16/44.1 in MME, ASIO, or Kernal in any program... including Winamp if I'm not surfing the internet wildly or accessing Task Manager.  I'm pretty sure it doesn't resample, though I'm not sure if it does that would be so bad.  Yep, just checked it and 44.1 is locked in the app with ASIO playing a burn-in track right now.

Not sure how bit-perfect ASIOFORALL is.  My understanding is it's just a wrapper for Windows MME.  I know it never passed bit-perfect HDCD rips with my 1212m using a digital out.  I think you're better off using MME or DirectSound like normal if you want less glitches and don't need bit-perfect clarity and transients.  I think Windows 7 64 on mine has exclusive modes for a lot of applications.

I'm also pretty annoyed with Emu's driver situation, but I'm hoping upgrading the CPU on my laptop will improve the situation.  Perhaps this a[size=10pt]synchronous [/size]thing takes a lot more processing power than normal ASIO.

I do think the headphone amp is very good on this with sufficiently sensitive and high impedance headphones.  Kind of a tough match, but the Fiios sound noticeably less liquid & clear in the mids, less refined in the highs, and, at least with the E7, sounds much more wooly in the bass than the 0204 does.  I just need to find the right headphone to run out of the 0204.

For hifi stuff, I'm still not sure what out there (that's currently produced) can match the 0204.  It's crap for pro applications and I'll never DJ out with it in this state, but that's really not an issue for most people on head-fi.

Quote:
I'm honestly thinking about dumping this device. Let's go through some problems I've had:1. Won't actually play back 16/44.1 files without changing bit depth or sample rate.2. Won't play 24/192 files back in ASIO mode. Will play back in WASAPI.

3. Have to use ASIO4ALL if I want to use ASIO playback without pops and clicks.

4. No driver updates available. In fact, you can't find any drivers for this device on their web site.

I would not recommend this product to anyone.

Oct 10, 2011 at 4:19 PM Post #240 of 310
Going from a Celeron 900 single core to a Core 2 Duo T7250 made a big difference.  There are still some faint engage tics and also glitches with 24/192 Ultra upsampling when I'm also doing a massive amount of stuff (video playing in the background and flipping through task manager at the same time), but the bad ones after the track gets playing are infrequent even then.  Still, the specs said nothing about needing that and ASIO on other products doesn't need it that I've found.  Again, possibly the a[size=10pt]synchronous at fault, but that's supposed to be a good thing.[/size]

[size=10pt]Not sure how Mixcraft will fair.  Let me try that...[/size]

Yeah, still getting a lot of high pitched tics that aren't quite as faint as the engage ones during winamp.  Hmm...  I'll need to install some other mixing software to find out if this is just Mixcraft or not.  The record and pro aspects still are not ready for prime-time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back