E-MU 0204 USB: Damn, They've Done it Again! And for $129!!!
Feb 18, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #106 of 310
I was wondering if anyone can offer any input. I am trying to decide between the E-mu 0204 or the uDAC-2. I want to drive my D2000 and W1000 out of my computer using one of these DAC/amp combos for now and pick up a dedicated amp later down the road. I havn't found alot of comparisons but from reading it seems some people think that the udac has an edge on the 0404. Obviously no comparisons on the 0204 yet since its still new.

Feb 18, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #107 of 310
I have the same question. It seems that the 0204 DAC chip's specs are better, and it supports more sample rates than the uDAC2, but there's more to a DAC than just the chip.

Feb 18, 2011 at 10:29 PM Post #108 of 310
Quote:
The "flavor" concept only really applies to equipment that is defective or designed poorly. Why should electronic equipment -- that measure the within tolerances so infinitesimal that no human (not even a naturally hypersensitive baby with superhuman hearing capabilities) could perceive -- sound any different?

Where is the threshold of "designed poorly"? Internal sound cards? E-MU 0404 USB?

Which measurements are you talking about? Frequency response? SNR? Slew rate?

Quote:
[size=x-small].... but you can't get more accurate one you have reached the point where it is audibly accurate. [/size]  
[size=x-small]If the signal is audibly perfect at £130 spent - you are going to gain nothing by adding a grand.[/size]

[size=x-small]It doesn't matter if you can measure differences, if you can't hear them then we are into trees falling in forests territory.[/size]

What if you can hear differences? How can something be proved "audibly perfect"?

Quote:
I expect a lot of strawman responses, e.g. "I hear a difference", "People hear differently", et cetera.

You may want to revisit the definition of "straw man." I'm debating your position, hence my arguments are not straw men. If I'm mischaracterizing your position, please set me straight.

Quote:
Even after sending mine back, I'm interested in what otehrs think of ths DAC. To me, no matter what headphones I used Sony xb300,700,beyerdynamic 770/80s, Ultrasone pro 900, or Denon d5k, It sounded like there was too much treble and the bass rolled off. It put the crimp on the bass without a doubt. I'm waiting on my Musiland md-10 to come in , Twice the price but very nice. 

The built-in headphones amplifiers on the E-MU units are somewhat anemic. Most people have described the headphone output as cold or rolled-off in the low end and my experience with the 0404 USB has been no different.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:43 PM Post #110 of 310

Quote:
Yikes... That's a significant strike against the 0204 for the studio crowd. Thanks for the update.

Indeed! That sucks. I wish they would have kept balanced outputs.

Feb 19, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #111 of 310

Quote:

One possible explanation for why you think that is because you have been habituated to the sound of 'audiophile' quality gear. The manufacturers tend to roll of the high frequencies to get a 'smoother' sound. They do the same with the bass but compensate by introducing a 'bump' to give the impression of low bass that either doesn't exist or is heavily rolled off to avoid problems. Works too. Gives a nice sound if only one of your components does it.

EMU kit is primarily geared towards the DJ and Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) market. Those users want flat and accurate. 

Took me a while to get used to a clean, flat sound but now I would never go back. Anyway I can always get an 'audiophile' sound if I want on poor quality recordings by using EQ, parametric filtering or other plug ins but you can never get flat from audiophile grade gear. 

Give it a try for a bit longer. Most people come round after a while.

Quoted for truth!
smile.gif

Feb 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM Post #113 of 310

Quote:
I'd have to buy it again to give it another chance. I just ordered a PS audio digital link 3 to take its place. 

Trust your ears, if you thought it was anemic in the low end it probably was.  And anyone trying to convince you that "it" was right and your ears were wrong is foolish.  I have tried a few of the low priced pro audio wunderkind and many of them are anemic and do not have the proper foundation in the bass or the neutrality of really good sounding equipment.  

I think you will be happy with your DL3 that is inbound.  It is one of the best sounding dacs under $1k and very musical. 

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:04 AM Post #115 of 310
I have an Emu 0202 USB and its hp output is, well, "anemic" in the sense, that it's pretty much ruler flat even when driving a real load (I suspect its the same with 0204 or 0404 USB). RMAA FR graph looks almost the same when driving a pair of random 16 ohm Sony earbuds or 250 ohm DT880s.
It's really a pity that the amp is just too weak to drive high impedance headphones to loud levels. With DT880s it's ok with loud music, but with quiet classical it's still somewhat too quiet even when the volume is maxed out. But rolled off bass? Not really. Just flat and "boring", when you're accustomed to something else - or have a pair of headphones that are lacking in bass. Based on my measurements with RMAA I can suspect that if a component has more bass with the same headphones compared to Emu, then it probably does have more bass - in the sense that it's FR representation when driving a real load is not as accurate.

Feb 22, 2011 at 9:10 AM Post #116 of 310
Howdy,

The Creative folks (at least in the US) are celebrating their 40th birthday, so if you buy an 0204 from them (by way of Amazon) with this code ("0204sale"), you can have it for $104.  Here's a link to their on-line shop:  http://us.creative.com/products/welcomenew.asp?category=237

That's a lot of kit for $100, even if you just use it occasionally.  I spent nearly as much on my audiophile LAT International USB2 cable (which I love btw, so please don't be a hater).  LOL.  Enjoy.

-- David

Feb 22, 2011 at 12:48 PM Post #117 of 310

Quote:
I have an Emu 0202 USB and its hp output is, well, "anemic" in the sense, that it's pretty much ruler flat even when driving a real load (I suspect its the same with 0204 or 0404 USB). RMAA FR graph looks almost the same when driving a pair of random 16 ohm Sony earbuds or 250 ohm DT880s.
It's really a pity that the amp is just too weak to drive high impedance headphones to loud levels. With DT880s it's ok with loud music, but with quiet classical it's still somewhat too quiet even when the volume is maxed out. But rolled off bass? Not really. Just flat and "boring", when you're accustomed to something else - or have a pair of headphones that are lacking in bass. Based on my measurements with RMAA I can suspect that if a component has more bass with the same headphones compared to Emu, then it probably does have more bass - in the sense that it's FR representation when driving a real load is not as accurate.

I have the 0404 USB and if it doesn't drive any headphone to sufficient volume for you, you're listening too loud.  It has no problems with my 600 ohm AKGs with the volume around 10 o'clock.

Feb 22, 2011 at 1:52 PM Post #118 of 310

Quote:
Howdy,

The Creative folks (at least in the US) are celebrating their 40th birthday, so if you buy an 0204 from them (by way of Amazon) with this code ("0204sale"), you can have it for $104.  Here's a link to their on-line shop:  http://us.creative.com/products/welcomenew.asp?category=237

That's a lot of kit for $100, even if you just use it occasionally.  I spent nearly as much on my audiophile LAT International USB2 cable (which I love btw, so please don't be a hater).  LOL.  Enjoy.

-- David

lol
biggrin.gif

But seriously, thanks for the link.  That's awesome.  40% off on all other E-MU stuff too.  I might have to get the 0404 when it gets back in stock...

Feb 23, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #120 of 310
I have just received 1 of these EMU 0204 and the SQ is superior to the X-Fi HD usb i owned. 
There is 1 problem though, the box says it comes with a ASIO driver but after installing the drivers from the CD provided on my Win 7, no ASIO device turned up on the playback device. I only see a directsound speaker Emu 0204 device available.

So how do i get ASIO to work with this device?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back