DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Apr 18, 2015 at 2:27 PM Post #12,001 of 14,084
  Compared the 2.1.5 Lurker to the 2.2.0 side by side on two DX90's.  Any noticeable sound differences are not popping out at me...  

Coming from 2.18 L0 -->2.20 L0 to me is a bit leaner re.: lessened note thickness, treble is a bit more extended but bass / sub-bass oh so slightly diminished. I'm still on the fence about which I prefer.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:36 PM Post #12,002 of 14,084
I wish I could try it(fw 2.2).Mine will not update anymore, I tried to do the RKbatchtool and it will not install the drivers.

What does it do when you use BT? 

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #12,003 of 14,084
Well it first happened when I tried to download the 2.1.8 fw I lost the ability to do the updates under the setting menu on the player itself, there is know icon anymore it disappeared. 2nd, maybe its my crappy computer at home but it will not install the drivers for the BT so I tried to do it manually and it wont do this way either. Im stuck on 2.1.5L3 right now which at bad but I would like to update. Thanks for any advice you can give.

Apr 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM Post #12,004 of 14,084
so now we have 2.1.5 lurker , 2.1.8 lurker and 2.2.0 lurker to choose from

i say this is good thing for us , 3 good FWs > 1 good FW

hopefully soon we will have 2.2.1 lurker
tongue.gif

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #12,005 of 14,084
  Compared the 2.1.5 Lurker to the 2.2.0 side by side on two DX90's.  Any noticeable sound differences are not popping out at me...  

This is also the only reasonable way to differentiate between different firmwares. Switching between firmwares on the same device takes way too long to remember what they sound like and if they sound any different! 

From the impressions some people have on here you'd think they were trying on new headphones :)

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #12,006 of 14,084
T.R.A.N.C.E., as I know you have modded DX90 version (by Sanmigel) and your opinion about the sound of the new FW is very useful for me.
As I see (with a little of listening time with the new FW, Lurker's version (thanks to Lurker again!!!) its sound is really balanced, but as I see - the sound of 2.2.0 L0 is have less sibilances course, but is it ok or not I can't decide in a time :)...
And about you? Which version of the FW do you prefer in the current moment?

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM Post #12,007 of 14,084
Well it first happened when I tried to download the 2.1.8 fw I lost the ability to do the updates under the setting menu on the player itself, there is know icon anymore it disappeared. 2nd, maybe its my crappy computer at home but it will not install the drivers for the BT so I tried to do it manually and it wont do this way either. Im stuck on 2.1.5L3 right now which at bad but I would like to update. Thanks for any advice you can give.

I imagine you have tried a different USB cable. I would also try a different computer. I had problems over a year ago and it was the computer. I got all that straightened out and haven't any complications since. 

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #12,008 of 14,084

This is also the only reasonable way to differentiate between different firmwares. Switching between firmwares on the same device takes way too long to remember what they sound like and if they sound any different! 

From the impressions some people have on here you'd think they were trying on new headphones :)

Yup.
Auditory memory is sh1te.

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:25 PM Post #12,009 of 14,084
But.. with some times listening of the new 2.2.0 L0 my choice is 2.1.5 L2. Its sound is mine indeed. And as I think - sound of 2.1.5 L2 is more real (neutral) than in the new FWs (also modded by Lurker). 
Anyway many thanks to iBasso!

Apr 18, 2015 at 3:48 PM Post #12,010 of 14,084
I imagine you have tried a different USB cable. I would also try a different computer. I had problems over a year ago and it was the computer. I got all that straightened out and haven't any complications since. 

I can try one of my kids computer, it has windows 8 which I think sucks and I have know idea how to navigate.
Thanks for the advice, good thing it works and sounds great already, I just hate when I start up the player that it asks to scan every time, this is the only reason I want to update to see if it rids this annoying request.

Apr 18, 2015 at 6:03 PM Post #12,011 of 14,084
  Coming from 2.18 L0 -->2.20 L0 to me is a bit leaner re.: lessened note thickness, treble is a bit more extended but bass / sub-bass oh so slightly diminished. I'm still on the fence about which I prefer.

+1

At first listen, the sound seems more linear with the 2.20 but by being more attentive, this is not actually the case. I feel that there are irregularities in the frequency curve and strangely, to my ears, the acute is too aggressive compared with 2.18 L0 or even the 2.15 L2. Also, effectively, the bass and sub-bass are clearly recessed and the sound stage is narrower compared with 2.18 L0 but closer to the 2.15 L0.

Grosso modo, listening the DX90 with the 2.20 L0 I feel disappointment while with the 2.18 L0 it was a pure pleasure. For my part, I return to the 2.18 L0 (even if it is U sharped but with a deep and lot more three-dimensional soudstage)... hoping that the next fw will be more to my liking ...

[comparison made with a Shure SRH-940' headphone]

Apr 18, 2015 at 9:09 PM Post #12,012 of 14,084
  T.R.A.N.C.E., as I know you have modded DX90 version (by Sanmigel) and your opinion about the sound of the new FW is very useful for me.
As I see (with a little of listening time with the new FW, Lurker's version (thanks to Lurker again!!!) its sound is really balanced, but as I see - the sound of 2.2.0 L0 is have less sibilances course, but is it ok or not I can't decide in a time :)...
And about you? Which version of the FW do you prefer in the current moment?

2.2 is the most neutral and balanced firmware to date imo, it is less forward than 2.1.5 throughout parts of frequency spectrum and is more linear and flat to my ears, which has created a more neutral and refined sound, but also lessened "energy", timbre detail is better heard, and depth and imaging are improved. So basically 2.2 has smoother and more neutral treble presentation than 2.1.5L, and more resolution is heard. 2.2 also has less bass bloat than all previous firmwares, sub bass extension is still as good as ever, but it is not forward now, I actually hear more detail in the bass of 2.2. The sharp filter is actually useful now, in previous firmwares the sharp filter never sounded right to me, now it actually sounds decent, although slow is still my preference. If you want a more energetic sound then 2.2 might be lacking. Personally I wouldn't mind a slightly more forward sound myself, but that doesn't stop 2.2 being my favorite firmware so far, I'll always take neutrality over colored sound.

For me 2.2 is the most technically capable firmware to date, but might not be everyone's favorite. Neutral sound has always been a controversial matter, most people would take a colored sound over a neutral one. 2.1.8 sounds like a more colored version of 2.2 imo.

Apr 18, 2015 at 11:43 PM Post #12,013 of 14,084
2.2 is the most neutral and balanced firmware to date imo, it is less forward than 2.1.5 throughout parts of frequency spectrum and is more linear and flat to my ears, which has created a more neutral and refined sound, but also lessened "energy", timbre detail is better heard, and depth and imaging are improved. So basically 2.2 has smoother and more neutral treble presentation than 2.1.5L, and more resolution is heard. 2.2 also has less bass bloat than all previous firmwares, sub bass extension is still as good as ever, but it is not forward now, I actually hear more detail in the bass of 2.2. The sharp filter is actually useful now, in previous firmwares the sharp filter never sounded right to me, now it actually sounds decent, although slow is still my preference. If you want a more energetic sound then 2.2 might be lacking. Personally I wouldn't mind a slightly more forward sound myself.

For me 2.2 is the most technically capable firmware to date, but might not be everyone's favorite. Neutral sound has always been a controversial matter, most people would take a colored sound over a neutral one. 2.1.8 sounds like a more colored version of 2.2 imo.

+1!

Exactly what I hear from the new firmware too!

Apr 19, 2015 at 12:19 AM Post #12,014 of 14,084
I do not think any one FW can ever satisfy everyone. But we will try.
smile.gif

There are differences of opinion here at iBasso. So if here then it would seem normal for everyone else.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Apr 19, 2015 at 12:31 AM Post #12,015 of 14,084
  I do not think any one FW can ever satisfy everyone. But we will try.
smile.gif

There are differences of opinion here at iBasso. So if here then it would seem normal for everyone else.

Fair enough Paul. I am heading back to 2.18 L0 as while 2.20 has more detail retrieval and treble extension, I find it a bit sterile and it borders on sibilant with my A83's. iBasso has provided options for multiple tastes and while I'd love to see the detail retrieval of 2.20 with the bass and touch of warmth 2.18 provides, I am appreciative of the company's continued efforts and your helpful presence on this forum, Paul.

Now if we just get a more straightforward playlist import...I know there are always priorities for which functions to tweak and design tradeoffs. Very much enjoying the DX90 as it is, and looking forward to perhaps another firmware evolution in the near future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back