DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 1, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #10,861 of 14,084

I do not like SE535 with my DX90.

I never believed in the 'synergy' thing until I tried my SE535 (which I love) with the DX90 and found them to sound thin and lifeless. I don't understand the mechanics but at least I've experienced it. I now don't dismiss the concept as 'Audiophile Geek Speak' with no real basis.

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:10 AM Post #10,862 of 14,084
I never believed in the 'synergy' thing until I tried my SE535 (which I love) with the DX90 and found them to sound thin and lifeless. I don't understand the mechanics but at least I've experienced it. I now don't dismiss the concept as 'Audiophile Geek Speak' with no real basis.

I think there's a difference.

A lot of the time a gear will sound 'good', maybe great to some. But occasionally you just hit real winner matchings, just as you'll find equally bad ones. There's lots to consider, the IEM required driving power along side the DAPS output power, impedance, sensitivity. Main thing is trust you ears, if it sounds good, they'll tell you and equally true for the opposite.

I won't go on to tell you how I prefer my Rhapsodio hybrid IEM with a Microsoft Zune I picked up for $35 used on eBay over DX90....

Mar 1, 2015 at 11:57 AM Post #10,863 of 14,084
This isn't DX90 specific, but relevant to the conversation about synergy. I recently bought a FiiO X1 for my portable rig so that nobody can steal my DX90 again and I've been extremely happy with how well it pairs with my RE-400s. I'm shocked by how good this < $200 rig sounds, which I chalk up to great synergy.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #10,864 of 14,084

That's correct, you can buy the most expensive DAP and IEM on the market yet it means nothing unless they marry well. 

You never know, maybe the guy with $200 IEM and $50 DAP is achieving better results due to the qualitys of synergy.

IEM that do pair well for me:

Fidue A83
Dunu DN-1000
Dunu Titan.

Rading this posts, I should be very singular person.

I love my Shure 535LTD with DX90.

Mar 1, 2015 at 12:53 PM Post #10,865 of 14,084

Different taste obviously. Everyone's 'pair well' gears is depend on their taste.

Mar 1, 2015 at 1:46 PM Post #10,866 of 14,084

If you like it, that's what matters. Doesn't mean that's wrong and, never let anyone's else's opinion cause psychological impact on yours.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:07 PM Post #10,867 of 14,084
I just don't understand the whole synergy thing though. DX90 is supposed to be a neutral sounding and powerful DAP with super low impedance that should work excellently with IEMs of any type and easy to drive cans. Isn't it always better to have close to 0 impedance with any amp or DAP? 

All of my phones sound great with the DX90.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #10,868 of 14,084
I just don't understand the whole synergy thing though. DX90 is supposed to be a neutral sounding and powerful DAP with super low impedance that should work excellently with IEMs of any type and easy to drive cans. Isn't it always better to have close to 0 impedance with any amp or DAP? 

Personally, I've never heard phones that I felt synergized badly with the DX90; however, until this week the only other DAP I'd ever used was an iPod. I just assumed the issues I've had with a few select IEMS were related to tunings I disliked and/or ear canal resonance--not the source.

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #10,869 of 14,084

Yes, normally it is best to be as low an output impedance as possible, to avoid frequency skews due to changes in driver/crossover response. Frankly I don't have any transducers that sound bad with he DX90 either. That wasn't the case with the original AK100. It had resistor in the output that gave it a high output impedance because they were trying to protect the circuitry from a short but it messed up the frequencies and therefore, the sound. I took the resistor, one per channel out of the the circuit and it improved the sound a lot but I still prefer the DX50, as more musical and the DX90 due to better imaging and more neutral as well as more powerful. 

Mar 1, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #10,870 of 14,084

That's correct, you can buy the most expensive DAP and IEM on the market yet it means nothing unless they marry well. 

You never know, maybe the guy with $200 IEM and $50 DAP is achieving better results due to the qualitys of synergy.

IEM that do pair well for me:

Fidue A83
Dunu DN-1000
Dunu Titan.

I totally agree. BTW, the W4 also work great unmodified with my wife's Cowon X7.

I would hate to get an Astell & Kern AK240 and a pair Final Audio Design or UM Miracle and find that they don't have any synergy.
confused_face(1).gif

My lesson here is that while it's fairly easy for designers to make a DAC/AMP source with great specs and low distortion while the headphones/IEM are always colored and have distortion built-in and it's up to the taste of the listener to like or not like them.

If I couldn't get the W4 to sound good with the DX90 I was afraid I'd have to ebay off the DX90 and try to get an Android device such as Vivo X5Max or a Xiaomi Mi Note which feature higher-end DAC and AMP stages than the average Android player.

Darn and I miss the PowerAmp app UI already. I'd take that UI over any of these dedicated DAP UI anyday!

Thanks again Head-fiers.

Mar 1, 2015 at 8:52 PM Post #10,871 of 14,084
cant wait for the new fw to see whether it changes the sound sig or not :p

Mar 1, 2015 at 9:41 PM Post #10,874 of 14,084
cant wait for the new fw to see whether it changes the sound sig or not :p

I can't wait for Lurker0's revision of the new firmware, to see how it changes the sound signature.  :wink:

Mar 1, 2015 at 10:34 PM Post #10,875 of 14,084
  I can't wait for Lurker0's revision of the new firmware, to see how it changes the sound signature.  :wink:

I wish he can make Ibasso's FW better and better XD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back