DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Dec 15, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #9,781 of 14,084
  I've never had the occasion to so much as see either one in person, much less A/B them.  I guess I just sort of blindly assumed that when you're talking about the industry-leading DAPs, more costly equals strictly superior.  Color me ignorant, I guess.

I wouldn't say you are ignorant, just lack experience due to access and time.  This is off topic, but I debated a long while before I got my AK240 due to the use of Cirrus Logic DAC inside (less warm compare to the Wolfson's).  I started off with my AudioQuest Dragonfly with it's clean ESS Sabre sound, which is similar to Cirrus Logic's.  Then I got a bunch of VentureCraft / V-Moda DAC with interchangeable OpAmp that I started to toy around with different sound signature.  Next the AK120 came out and I am pretty sure that Wolfson's DAC is my thing, which I confirmed with my Practical Devices XM6 with it's Wolfson 8741 for my Sony F807 and loved the sound.  Now with the DX90 and AK240 for different use.  If I have known what I know now, I would have just go straight to the AK120 with a pair of Noble K10 or JH Roxanne and be done, and saving hundreds in the process (IEDs, DAC/AMP, and DAPs just sitting around).  But seriously, this is NOT about how much crap I own or how expensive they are, rather I just want to share about my Head-Fi journey, so you all don't have to spend all this time and money to figure things out.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:48 PM Post #9,782 of 14,084
I just received the dx90. Do not have a card yet to put music in but I played a bit with the menu. I have two questions.

a. Does anyone else experience mechanical clicking sounds from the device on power on and power off? Not through the headphones but from the dx90 body. Every time  I switch on/off there is a mechanical sound. Is that normal??

b. Does Sandisk Ultra 128GBmicroSDXC  or Kingston 128GB microSDXC work with the dx90? Any issues? I will make the purchase tomorrow.

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:49 PM Post #9,783 of 14,084
  I've never had the occasion to so much as see either one in person, much less A/B them.  I just sort of blindly assumed that when you're talking about the industry-leading DAPs, more costly equals strictly superior.  Color me ignorant, I guess.

So often the mind set is that more money equals better quality. Sometimes true but so often not the case. I have Leica cameras, rather expensive but do they hold up any better, being German built and having been around since 1928? No, but I do enjoy using the camera and the lenses are superb. 

And in Audio, what is best, the highest price? I think far from it. I have seen million dollar home systems and read reports that they often aren't any better than a good 30,000 dollar setup. So, let your ears be your guide, not the money figure before your eyes. :^)

Dec 15, 2014 at 2:56 PM Post #9,784 of 14,084
  I just received the dx90. Do not have a card yet to put music in but I played a bit with the menu. I have two questions.

a. Does anyone else experience mechanical clicking sounds from the device on power on and power off? Not through the headphones but from the dx90 body. Every time  I switch on/off there is a mechanical sound. Is that normal??

b. Does Sandisk Ultra 128GBmicroSDXC  or Kingston 128GB microSDXC work with the dx90? Any issues? I will make the purchase tomorrow.

a, yes, and that's not exactly normal.  Mine was making this clicking sound when my SD slot failed.
b, get SanDisk, less headaches on partitioning or formatting issues.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:00 PM Post #9,785 of 14,084

The clicking is normal. It is the relay so you don't get a popping through your headphones when the amp powers up. 

I like Sanddisk the most. No hassles and I have around 16 or 17 of them from 32gb to a couple of the 128gb cards. Even washed one and dried it. lol 

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #9,786 of 14,084

a.  Both of the DX90s I've owned have done that exact same thing.  I've seen others ask about it here on the forum, and consensus seems to be that it's the sound made by the internal amp firing up.  DrSheep is more knowledgeable than I am but he's the first person I've seen suggest it's abnormal.

b.  I have no idea, sorry.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:18 PM Post #9,787 of 14,084
Now I am talking about the difference between small pops and very loud ones, as mine never made any loud popping sound when it boots until mine failed.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #9,788 of 14,084
Quote:Originally Posted by jamato8 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sorry about the double post; I figured out how to use multi-quotes one response too late.  (>_>)

So often the mind set is that more money equals better quality. Sometimes true but so often not the case. I have Leica cameras, rather expensive but do they hold up any better, being German built and having been around since 1928? No, but I do enjoy using the camera and the lenses are superb. 

And in Audio, what is best, the highest price? I think far from it. I have seen million dollar home systems and read reports that they often aren't any better than a good 30,000 dollar setup. So, let your ears be your guide, not the money figure before your eyes. :^)

Well, I guess I assumed that in-house designs generally tend to improve with cost—especially with the more reputable brands.  For example, if you're comparing Random Sony IEMs "A" to Random Klipsch IEMs "B," I might not necessarily assume that the cost is the sole determining factor; however, if you showed me two pairs by either manufacturer I'm likely to expect that the later model (typically the more costly one) is an improvement on the manufacturer's house sound.  Likewise, I took for granted that the A&K DAPs were essentially similar in sound but perhaps with the 240 having a blacker background and greater accuracy, plus UI improvements, etc.

Interestingly, with as little as I know of photography I actually wouldn't make this same type of assumption because I'm aware that many people still prefer film-based cameras to digital devices, and sometimes things truly aren't built "they way they used to be" any more.

I wouldn't say you are ignorant, just lack experience due to access and time.  This is off topic, but I debated a long while before I got my AK240 due to the use of Cirrus Logic DAC inside (less warm compare to the Wolfson's).  I started off with my AudioQuest Dragonfly with it's clean ESS Sabre sound, which is similar to Cirrus Logic's.  Then I got a bunch of VentureCraft / V-Moda DAC with interchangeable OpAmp that I started to toy around with different sound signature.  Next the AK120 came out and I am pretty sure that Wolfson's DAC is my thing, which I confirmed with my Practical Devices XM6 with it's Wolfson 8741 for my Sony F807 and loved the sound.  Now with the DX90 and AK240 for different use.  If I have known what I know now, I would have just go straight to the AK120 with a pair of Noble K10 or JH Roxanne and be done, and saving hundreds in the process (IEDs, DAC/AMP, and DAPs just sitting around).  But seriously, this is NOT about how much crap I own or how expensive they are, rather I just want to share about my Head-Fi journey, so you all don't have to spend all this time and money to figure things out.

Oh, I'm plenty ignorant, and of a great many things.  I'm okay with that label because ignorance is curable, whereas stupid is forever.

I'm only now learning that hardware manufacturers don't create all of their components in house.  I just sort of figured everyone's drivers were their own and that the DACs, amps, etc., were unique to brands.  I was surprised to learn within the last two or three days that many IEMs share BA drivers from a handful of manufacturers.  (On that note, I've never even heard a BA driver and I couldn't describe one's sonic qualities without relying on second-hand information.)  Likewise with the chip sets for various DAPs.

You drop names like Sabre, Wolfson, etc., but that's all above my head because I had no idea that one might find similar chips in—for example—one FiiO DAP (but not the others in its line) and an iBasso or A&K device.  You more experienced users understand that sound quality often relates more directly to the properties of specific hardware components rather than the brand they're assembled and packaged under.  Those of us still working on our audiophile bachelor's degrees likely think "Brand A = Brand A = Brand A," etc.  Your preferring the A&K120 to the 240 makes a whole heck of a lot more sense now that I have some understanding that chip sets vary from DAP to DAP even within a single product line, and that a "house sound" might more appropriately be defined by the amp's or DAC's manufacturer than the DAP's.

For the record, your collection is impressive as all hell.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #9,789 of 14,084
If you have a pair of IEM, even the cheap ones, then you have heard from BA.  And yes, there are only a handful of DAC or OpAmp chip manufacturer, so in time when you hang around Head-Fi long enough, you will get to know about their qualities and have a better picture.  The only odd ball that I can think of is Sony, as they always do their own thing and changes things quite often.

p.s. think of BA as a close shoe box with a hole on the small side, and sound comes out from the hole when you hit the top.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #9,790 of 14,084
No A/B impressions between the iBasso DX90 and the PONO player yet?   I am looking forward to hearing impressions.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:49 PM Post #9,791 of 14,084
  If you have a pair of IEM, even the cheap ones, then you have heard from BA.  And yes, there are only a handful of DAC or OpAmp chip manufacturer, so in time when you hang around Head-Fi long enough, you will get to know about their qualities and have a better picture.  The only odd ball that I can think of is Sony, as they always do their own thing and changes things quite often.

p.s. think of BA as a close shoe box with a hole on the small side, and sound comes out from the hole when you hit the top.

I mean "BA" as in "balanced armature."  Are we mixing acronyms here?  As far as I know, all of my IEMs exclusively use dynamic drivers.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:54 PM Post #9,792 of 14,084
  I mean "BA" as in "balanced armature."  Are we mixing acronyms here?  As far as I know, all of my IEMs exclusively use dynamic drivers.

You got it backwards, BA are box like for IEMs; DD are the round things for ear buds.

Dec 15, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #9,793 of 14,084
  No A/B impressions between the iBasso DX90 and the PONO player yet?   I am looking forward to hearing impressions.

I wouldn't bother: the Pono is $50 more and cannot play DSDs.  That's a deal breaker for me.

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:01 PM Post #9,794 of 14,084
  I wouldn't bother: the Pono is $50 more and cannot play DSDs.  That's a deal breaker for me.

I am not going to run out and get a Pono since I already have a DX90.  I am just curious for future reference....and to check if I made the right choice in buying the DX90 instead of waiting for the PONO.... :wink:  

Dec 15, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #9,795 of 14,084
  You got it backwards, BA are box like for IEMs; DD are the round things for ear buds.

Please don't take this as me being combative, but rather trying to figure out what I do and don't know—or what I thought I knew, but actually didn't.

I've looked at numerous reviews and web pages for the IEMs I own and they're all listed as utilizing dynamic drivers:

http://www.rha-audio.com/us/ma750.html

http://theheadphonelist.com/headphone_review/jvc-ha-fxt90/

http://www.usa.philips.com/c-p/SHE3580_28/in-ear-headphones/specifications

Additional resources:

http://musictechreview.com/in-ear-monitors-balanced-armature-drivers-vs-dynamic-drivers/

http://www.inearmania.com/p/more-earphone-information.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back