DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Jun 1, 2014 at 2:13 AM Post #5,866 of 14,084
The DX90 scans the SD card automatically when you insert it. I can't speak for the 50 as I've never used it. Then I simply choose Directory/SD card from the menu and drill into the desired folder.

Regarding the folders: Correct, it'll only play tracks from a single folder. I.e. you have to drill down to a folder with tracks as far as I've seen.

//TB

Actually, it doesn't, it automatically scans the INTERNAL memory (always after you disconnect from a computer, sometimes on its own - usually when it detects changes to the database) - for the external mSD card, you get a request to scan/browse, hit scan to scan, browse to not scan :) … you can also force a rescan of everything (int/ext) from settings (don't remember if it's in the "advanced" settings).

And, yep, if you just want to use  folders as playlists, just navigate to the folder you want (from the my music=>directory command), select any songs, the DX90 scans the folder and adds it to its database, and it plays:)

Jun 1, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #5,867 of 14,084
  Hi guys,
I am using dx90 for last three weeks. My many old mp3 files used to play fine on IPOD , either does not play at all on dx90 or makes squeaky sound while playing. Is it normal ? Or is there any issue with my DX-90 ?

Thanks
Anil

I have a bunch of old mp3's. I will try them later and see what I get. 

Jun 1, 2014 at 11:32 AM Post #5,869 of 14,084
I love the size of the dx90 , kinda like the iPod classic but lighter and sexier :two_hearts:.... Now to buy a 64gb card and listen to music :sweat_smile:

Why don't you connect to your computer as it has 32 bit drivers to work it as usb DAC.  Not sure about this, but if you have OTG cable you can probably use it as external DAC to your Android Smartphone.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:31 PM Post #5,871 of 14,084
I love the size of the dx90 , kinda like the iPod classic but lighter and sexier :two_hearts:.... Now to buy a 64gb card and listen to music :sweat_smile:

Yeah, not hard to be any prettier than the outdated iPod classic.
wink.gif

But won't beat that, much lighter and feels great plus the screen.
eek.gif

I am still waiting for an iPod touch like UI with Dual balanced ESS9018M (wishful thinking here).
biggrin.gif

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:38 PM Post #5,872 of 14,084
Hi all, this is my first post here.
First of all I'd like to say a big thanks and kudos to everyone here on Head-fi for getting me back into the joys of being an audiophile.
Without the info here I wouldn't have ordered this obscure DAP from half way across the world and would then have missed out on this great musical experience.

Second, i'd like to chip in my 2 cents on how to use the iBasso Dx90 with an external hard drive.
The key to getting the HDD to work with the Dx90 is power supply and that is a little more complex than it seems to be at first glance.

First of all you need an external usb hub with it's own power supply. Don't try the "extra power cables" or cheap "multi-task" usb gadgets, go for a hub with a good specified power supply (easiest is to buy one labeled as usb 3.0).
The next thing to consider is the usb protocol, this is what makes usb simple and saves you from considering things like shortouts and what plug to place in what socket. That means that if the usb plug fits nothing is going to break or burn up.

The downside of this is that an usb otg "Master" (that's our Dx90, that is
wink_face.gif
) shall in ALL circumstances supply 500 mA to the "Slave" (the HDD) regardless of the fact that you have the external power supplied from the usb hub. Hence the drain on the Dx90's battery.

There is a "work-around" on this but here we enter the "trial and error at your own risk" area. My sources on this info are:

http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/34741/can-an-android-tablet-serve-as-usb-host-and-be-charged-simultaneously-through-a
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-cable-data-only-8280/
http://yourfinalsystem.com/cable-design-f-a-q/147-how-do-data-only-usb-cables-work

What all that boils down to is that the usb ground pin is needed to do a basic "handshake" between the HDD and the Dx90 but the +5Volt pin can be blanked of, thus preventing the drain on the Dx90's battery.
I've only done this very basically by wedging a piece of paper over the +5V pin. The battery life now seems to be the same as when playing from the microSD card. I get two distinct (relay?) clicks from the Dx90 when I attach the cable to the hub but everything else seems to work.
I've spent a lot of time on buying and returning various usb cables and hubs so that basic test is the end of my knowledge this far.

Jun 1, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #5,873 of 14,084
I have been trying to get my DX90 to fully scan my microsd card. However, everytime I try to scan it will begin and reboot before it finishes. I tried reformatting my microsd card, tried a different microsd card, reset the player by doing a factory reset, did a hard reset by holding down the power and volume button. Also, I spent 10+ hours yesterday retagging my songs again. No matter what I try I am still having the scanning issues. Anyone know why I cannot fully scan the microsd card?

Btw my microsd cards are genuine Patriot and Toshiba 64gb cards.

Jun 1, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5,874 of 14,084
  I have been trying to get my DX90 to fully scan my microsd card. However, everytime I try to scan it will begin and reboot before it finishes. I tried reformatting my microsd card, tried a different microsd card, reset the player by doing a factory reset, did a hard reset by holding down the power and volume button. Also, I spent 10+ hours yesterday retagging my songs again. No matter what I try I am still having the scanning issues. Anyone know why I cannot fully scan the microsd card?

Btw my microsd cards are genuine Patriot and Toshiba 64gb cards.

Can't comment about your cards, I have always used Sandisk and never ever had any issues with them after the initial scanning issues with the DX50, I heard that Samsung is the same.

I'll assume you cards are OK, although that is a big assumption; Have you tried to delete the .album_img folder from the internal card? If not then plug your DX90 in a USB port and wipe the directory clean. Then disconnect the player just ignore the request to scan or browse the directory when unplugging the player. Pop the card out and back in again, when it prompts for scanning/browsing go ahead and select scan. Wait until it is fully done. If you still have problems, I would get a Sandisk card and repeat again, if after that you still have an issue, return the player for service. My recollection with the prior issues I had with the DX50 (never had any with the DX90) was clean tags because of the firmware but somehow I think this has been fixed a while back.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:24 PM Post #5,875 of 14,084
[also posted from the dx90 bug thread]

HELP!!!

just got a dx90 and my computers won't recognize it. i have it turned on and plug it into
1. a macbook pro
2. a lenovo thinkpad x301 running windows xp
3. a desktop running windows xp

1. i set the usb to dac instead of storage
2.  in every case the dx90 shows it is connected with the usb symbol above the letters "DAC"
3.  in NO case does the computer show the device. 
         a. the apple machine just ignores it entirely
         b. the windows machines show a "new hardware detected" box, ask me for a driver, can't find a driver
         c.  i downloaded the ibasso usb driver for windows xp/7 and ran it.  the device managers now show the mango driver as a separate device
    nonetheless, windows explorer does not show the device
         d. i did some searching online, found a file called USBSTOR for a generic mass storage device. put that file in the windows folder, the system32 folder, AND in the DRVSTOR folder.  rebooted. same thing

any ideas how i can get any of my machines to recognize the dx90?
all help will be greatly appreciated.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5,876 of 14,084
  [also posted from the dx90 bug thread]

HELP!!!

just got a dx90 and my computers won't recognize it. i have it turned on and plug it into
1. a macbook pro
2. a lenovo thinkpad x302 running windows xp
3. a desktop running windows xp

1. i set the usb to dac instead of storage
2.  in every case the dx90 shows it is connected with the usb symbol above the letters "DAC"
3.  in NO case does the computer show the device. 
         a. the apple machine just ignores it entirely
         b. the windows machines show a "new hardware detected" box, ask me for a driver, can't find a driver
         c.  i downloaded the ibasso usb driver for windows xp/7 and ran it.  the device managers now show the mango driver as a separate device
    nonetheless, windows explorer does not show the device
         d. i did some searching online, found a file called USBSTOR for a generic mass storage device. put that file in the windows folder, the system32 folder, AND in the DRVSTOR folder.  rebooted. same thing

any ideas how i can get any of my machines to recognize the dx90?
all help will be greatly appreciated.

First, what are you trying to do?

(1) Use is as storage or
(2) Use it as a DAC?

To make it work as a storage, you set it to Storage on the player, then when you connect to either your PC or the Mac using the USB cable, the internal memory should appear as a drive.

To use the DX90 as a DAC you need the following:

PC running 32-bit operating system, it won't work on a 64-bit one.
It does not work on the Mac.

If you do have a 32-bit PC, then you can install the iBasso 32-bit driver from their web site and then when done, set the DX90 to DAC and then use the USB cable to connect to your PC. At that point you go to the control panel, sound option, bring that up and select the DX90 DAC from it. Then from iTunes or some other PC mp3 player just play some music and you should hear it through your HO port or the LO connected to some amp.

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:37 PM Post #5,877 of 14,084
i don't have the sd card even in it yet.  i decided to start by upgrading to the new FW.  so i want to be able to transfer the img file onto the dac's internal memory.  i did download the driver but i'm not trying to play music through it, i just want to access it as an external storage device so i can move the file.  in order to move the file to the dx90 internal memory, i have to SEE it somewhere, and it doesn't show up in explorer.

[the windows machines are both 32 bit]

Jun 1, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #5,878 of 14,084
  i don't have the sd card even in it yet.  i decided to start by upgrading to the new FW.  so i want to be able to transfer the img file onto the dac's internal memory.  i did download the driver but i'm not trying to play music through it, i just want to access it as an external storage device so i can move the file.  in order to move the file to the dx90 internal memory, i have to SEE it somewhere, and it doesn't show up in explorer.

[the windows machines are both 32 bit]

First, don't set it as DAC but Storage, then just to be safe, reboot the DX90 (press 4 seconds on the power button and repeat to start it up again), when back online connect to any of your PCs, wait until it shows up on your computer as drive by invoking Windows Explorer. Try different port on your PC to make sure that the port has not a problem recognizing the player. I have never ever had an issue with the DX50 or DX90 showing up as a drive.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:03 PM Post #5,879 of 14,084

First, don't set it as DAC but Storage, then just to be safe, reboot the DX90 (press 4 seconds on the power button and repeat to start it up again), when back online connect to any of your PCs, wait until it shows up on your computer as drive by invoking Windows Explorer. Try different port on your PC to make sure that the port has not a problem recognizing the player. I have never ever had an issue with the DX50 or DX90 showing up as a drive.

that did it. thank you!
i thought "storage" pointed to the sd card slot, while "dac" pointed to the internal memory of the dac itself.  it seems so clear now, of course, in retrospect, but i doubt i would have figured it out.  thank you again.

Jun 1, 2014 at 4:08 PM Post #5,880 of 14,084

head-fi is an amazing community!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back