DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 29, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #5,777 of 14,084
  I have the dx90 plugged in the wall charging and also playing with the burn-in cable. There is a hissing noise coming from where it's plugged into the wall. Is this normal?

I guess it is...I was kinda scared at first when I noticed the hissing. After using it everyday for a week or two, it seems to be fine.

May 29, 2014 at 3:59 PM Post #5,778 of 14,084
I have been a little busy lately but here is an update:
Received my DX90 last week. Did almost 100 hours of run-in and the sound is getting a little better (IMO).

I can confirm that Eglobalcentral is legit (afaik).
http://www.eglobalcentral.com/ibasso-dx90-dual-es9018k2m-dacs-portable-digital-audio-player.html

Paid $388 ($386 now, not that I am going to ask for a refund on the difference...:rolleyes: ) and got free UPS shipping! Arrived from Hong Kong in 4 days... I am impressed.

What gain setting do you use with the DX90/W40? I use mid for most songs and high for hard rock type.

Wow, that's a fair bit cheaper than any other place I've seen. It's very tempting to pick one up at that price. I would be concerned about fakes coming from China - you're definitely confident yours is legit? For that matter, do DX90 fakes even exist? I haven't heard anything about any fakes yet. Thanks for the link!

Another question: Did the DX90 arrive in the original package with all of the accessories included? Thanks!

May 29, 2014 at 9:38 PM Post #5,783 of 14,084
A follow up question, not sure if anyone can really answer it but here goes. I am looking at the CONCERO HP DAC/Headphone amp and it looks like a completely ridiculous, hall of fame worthy unit. It features the same Sabre chips that our DX90 has. Every review of it basically can't say enough about the sound it produces. I haven't seen any DAC/Headphone amps that review anywhere near as well. It even is outshining the new Centrance HiFi M8.

I am mighty tempted to buy it but at $850 asking cost, seems pretty pricey for what could conceivably only be a minor upgrade, if any at all, over the DX90 when used as a pass through DAC/AMP (once I can use it that way once the 64 bit drivers come out), especially since the DX90 uses the same DAC chips.

If the Concero HP does sound much better, it will be due to the company knowing how to implement the same Sabre 32 bit chips better (since one of their key members used to be lead engineer at ESS) along with a better amp. Does anyone have an opinion about how much better the Concero HP would sound as a pass through device from my laptop to headphones vs using the DX90 as a pass through? I would be using some expensive headphones that would notice any real difference in quality (Pandora Hope VI, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Hi-Fi Man HE500 and HD 650). 

I haven't read this thread all the way but what is the consensus about the quality of the amp within the DX90? Good? Something that could hold it's own vs premium portable DAC/Amps like the Concero HP? 

May 29, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #5,784 of 14,084
Wow, that's a fair bit cheaper than any other place I've seen. It's very tempting to pick one up at that price. I would be concerned about fakes coming from China - you're definitely confident yours is legit? For that matter, do DX90 fakes even exist? I haven't heard anything about any fakes yet. Thanks for the link!

Another question: Did the DX90 arrive in the original package with all of the accessories included? Thanks!

First, the package was shipped from Hong Kong. The shops there are far more trustworthy than PRC based shops from my own experience. Eglobal is on several rating sites and has generally ok ratings.

Second, I don't think anyone would fake a niche-market music player from an obscure Chinese brand called "Ibasso"
biggrin.gif
For example, there are plenty of fake Sennheisers on the market but not Westones.
"DX90" is engraved on the back so it is not a DX50 either.

Yes, everything listed is included! 2 screen stickers, the silicon bumper, burn-in cable, some connecting cables (forgot 2 or 3) and the original box.
There is even a sticker of the Hong Kong distributor on the box, stating the warranty is covered by it (I can read Chinese).

I will totally consider buying from them again. They got some Sennheiser at great prices too.

May 29, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #5,785 of 14,084
A follow up question, not sure if anyone can really answer it but here goes. I am looking at the CONCERO HP DAC/Headphone amp and it looks like a completely ridiculous, hall of fame worthy unit. It features the same Sabre chips that our DX90 has. Every review of it basically can't say enough about the sound it produces. I haven't seen any DAC/Headphone amps that review anywhere near as well. It even is outshining the new Centrance HiFi M8.

I am mighty tempted to buy it but at $850 asking cost, seems pretty pricey for what could conceivably only be a minor upgrade, if any at all, over the DX90 when used as a pass through DAC/AMP (once I can use it that way once the 64 bit drivers come out), especially since the DX90 uses the same DAC chips.

If the Concero HP does sound much better, it will be due to the company knowing how to implement the same Sabre 32 bit chips better (since one of their key members used to be lead engineer at ESS) along with a better amp. Does anyone have an opinion about how much better the Concero HP would sound as a pass through device from my laptop to headphones vs using the DX90 as a pass through? I would be using some expensive headphones that would notice any real difference in quality (Pandora Hope VI, Ultrasone Signature DJ, Hi-Fi Man HE500 and HD 650). 

I haven't read this thread all the way but what is the consensus about the quality of the amp within the DX90? Good? Something that could hold it's own vs premium portable DAC/Amps like the Concero HP? 

I compared DX90/O2 combo over M8 and like you mentioned I find the combination far better than M8 + iPod or Mac. This is both with Beyer T1 and DT235 phones.

Given the Concero HP uses the same DAC as DX90, the difference if any is most certainly subtle. I think all you need to do is pair DX90 with an amp if you need more power using hard to drive phones. IMO, transparent amp reveal more of DX90's Dual-DACs prowess. O2 is a good start. Violectric V90 maybe a bit overkill but will surely drive any phones you throw at it with authority and with very reasonable price.

May 29, 2014 at 10:16 PM Post #5,786 of 14,084
First, the package was shipped from Hong Kong. The shops there are far more trustworthy than PRC based shops from my own experience. Eglobal is on several rating sites and has generally ok ratings.

Second, I don't think anyone would fake a niche-market music player from an obscure Chinese brand called "Ibasso":D .
For example, there are plenty of fake Sennheisers on the market but not Westones.
"DX90" is engraved on the back so it is not a DX50 either.

Yes, everything listed is included! 2 screen stickers, the silicon bumper, burn-in cable, some connecting cables (forgot 2 or 3) and the original box.
There is even a sticker of the Hong Kong distributor on the box, stating the warranty is covered by it (I can read Chinese).

I will totally consider buying from them again. They got some Sennheiser at great prices too.

It doesn't hurt to be vigilant. They must be a huge retailer and got a huge stock of DX90 from iBasso to get a discounted price. Since the DX90's FW could be modified to work on DX50 including the look and feel. It does not take much effort to take a DX50 and sell it as DX90.

I am not saying it's fake but just saying "If it's too good to be true.."

May 29, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #5,787 of 14,084
It doesn't hurt to be vigilant. They must be a huge retailer and got a huge stock of DX90 from iBasso to get a discounted price. Since the DX90's FW could be modified to work on DX50 including the look and feel. It does not take much effort to take a DX50 and sell it as DX90.

I am not saying it's fake but just saying "If it's too good to be true.."

But since both DX50 and DX90 are engraved with the model name on the back, they will need to get DX90 lids to fake it.
Not that it is all that hard to do - seeing all those fake aluminum bicycle components on ebay.

For more popular brands like Sennheiser and Monster Beat, you should really use extreme caution.

*Anyone noticed the DX90 has quite a bit shorter battery life than DX50 (with mid gain)? Maybe I should get a real S**msung battery for it.

May 29, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #5,788 of 14,084
I bought my DX90 for HKD2950 (~USD380) in a headphone retail store in Hong Kong, with 1 year warranty by local Hong Kong distributor. So USD386 is not really an unbelievable heavy discounted price from a mail order shop without having to pay for the outrageously expensive shop rental in Hong Kong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back