DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 5, 2014 at 3:55 AM Post #4,561 of 14,084
Is scrolling by touch screen, the only way to search folder.?
Screen is so sensitivity every time my finger swipes up/down, it will accidentally open the folder.
Will never have a chance to play those albums at the bottom of the screen.
So any better ways?

May 5, 2014 at 4:44 AM Post #4,563 of 14,084
They are actually advising buyers to spend 400 hours to 'burn in' their MP3 player? Too funny.

There's one born every minute it seems.

You may want to expand on that. I'm sure there is a good reason for saying that.

What reason do iBasso give?
A cynical person might say that telling a user things will improve over time could be a way to mitigate against quality and cast doubt and reduce the chance of returns. After all, it puts a spin on the old "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" adage. By claiming that 'burn in' is part of the experience, it turns that into "satisfaction guaranteed - as long as you've jumped through these invisible hoops. Not happy? Keep jumping."

I fail to see what can possibly improve about the sound quality of an electronic mp3 player over time. After 42 years on this planet my experience seems to be that over time this pretty disposable delicate stuff has the overarching tendency not to improve but to get worse. And then eventually break.

May 5, 2014 at 4:50 AM Post #4,564 of 14,084
Burn in and cable metallurgy are two issues where respectable head-fiers agree to disagree and limit the discussion to the sound science forum.

Insulting people in equipment threads adds zero to the discussion.

May 5, 2014 at 4:58 AM Post #4,565 of 14,084
It seems iBasso are the ones insulting our intelligence more than me insulting anyone here. Seriously, try telling your friends that you bought a new mp3 player but you can't really say how good it is because it will only sound it's best after you've played music through it for 400 hours because the manufacturer told you to do that and see what they say. It's not common sense.

Hyperthetically, if I listen to 2 hours of music a day - which is a stretch - it would take 200 days to discover the true potential of this device. So over six months.

By which point presumably there will be a new iBasso device out to grab the attention.

May 5, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #4,567 of 14,084
Fair enough. Except iBasso themselves recommend it, so it would seem the perfect place to discuss it.

I don't even own one, so I will leave you guys to it. But how many other electronic music player manufacturers do you know who advise one to burn in their devices?

May 5, 2014 at 5:05 AM Post #4,568 of 14,084
What reason do iBasso give?
A cynical person might say that telling a user things will improve over time could be a way to mitigate against quality and cast doubt and reduce the chance of returns. After all, it puts a spin on the old "satisfaction guaranteed or your money back" adage. By claiming that 'burn in' is part of the experience, it turns that into "satisfaction guaranteed - as long as you've jumped through these invisible hoops. Not happy? Keep jumping."

I fail to see what can possibly improve about the sound quality of an electronic mp3 player over time. After 42 years on this planet my experience seems to be that over time this pretty disposable delicate stuff has the overarching tendency not to improve but to get worse. And then eventually break.

You do realize burning in a piece of electronic equipment is also a torture test which is beneficial regardless whether you hear a difference or not? If any component breaks during that phase you will be thankful you get it sooner.

As for a change in how it sounds pre and post burn in I would like it to be proven or disproven. So if you have your sources/measurements then please share it.

May 5, 2014 at 6:47 AM Post #4,570 of 14,084
It seems iBasso are the ones insulting our intelligence more than me insulting anyone here. Seriously, try telling your friends that you bought a new mp3 player but you can't really say how good it is because it will only sound it's best after you've played music through it for 400 hours because the manufacturer told you to do that and see what they say. It's not common sense.

Hyperthetically, if I listen to 2 hours of music a day - which is a stretch - it would take 200 days to discover the true potential of this device. So over six months.

By which point presumably there will be a new iBasso device out to grab the attention.

It's not like they built it to need break in. They are simply relating how to achieve it's best performance at an earlier point of ownership. Giving a break in cable is a great way to tell folks it matters and give a way to do it before the return period is up. I don't recall anyone having a problem with iBasso. 

Whether you believe in break in or not is immaterial and discussion for it belongs in the sound science forum where all the skeptics are sure that proof in measurements is more significant than an individual's hearing. Personally, the only electronics I've come across that don't run in some are those that are too crappy to notice....but they still measure well.

May 5, 2014 at 7:30 AM Post #4,571 of 14,084
Fair enough. Except iBasso themselves recommend it, so it would seem the perfect place to discuss it.

I don't even own one, so I will leave you guys to it. But how many other electronic music player manufacturers do you know who advise one to burn in their devices?

Most amp manufacturers will argue the point of a 'run-in' time needed for their amps in order for the caps, resistors etc. to fully settle and whatnot to achieve the best possible SQ.
As long as a manufacturer doesn't charge extra for 'pre-sales-burn-in' it's all good imho.

May 5, 2014 at 12:45 PM Post #4,574 of 14,084
No, you (possibly deliberately) misunderstand.

mowglycdb is suggesting that the benefits of burn-in follow an exponential-like decay of improvement, whereby the majority of the benefit is seen in the first quarter of the specified time and the minority in the latter three quarter. I would suggest that mowglycdb is talking sense.

I have no idea on the precise mechanics nor chemistry of the effects of burn-in on the capacitors in a device like this. But I can say that when my DX90 arrived I spent ages comparing it with and without an amp, and comparing it against the DX50 with and without an amp (and also against my ODAC + amp). I then burnt it in for a couple of hundred hours and came to a different conclusion to first time round, because it sounded different (and better).

It only takes 14 days to do (not a year) - and if you feel it has no effect and is all smoke and mirrors, then don't do it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back