DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Nov 8, 2015 at 10:55 AM Post #13,216 of 14,084
I'm using your DX90FirmwareV2.2.0-L0...could you confirm that this already contains the exFAT driver changes?  I believe it does.
No, it does not. Please follow the link in my signature to check the available versions along with descriptions.

Nov 8, 2015 at 4:09 PM Post #13,217 of 14,084
No, it does not. Please follow the link in my signature to check the available versions along with descriptions.

Okay thanks. I was thrown off by the file dates.  The version you mention is dated 4/17/15 and mine is 4/18/15.  I thought I had the most current v2.2.0 version...apparently not. 

Nov 13, 2015 at 4:30 PM Post #13,218 of 14,084
Hi all,

It's been about a year and more than 3000 posts ago that I last wandered into this thread.  I've had my DX90 at least that long, and I still have the original V2.0.0 firmware.  Back at that time there was a lot of discussion about how changing firmware versions changed the sound, so being pretty pleased with the sound, I decided to avoid any upgrading.

So, cut to a year later, and I see the DX80 is out.  But before I spend more on that, I'd like to see if I'm getting the best out of my DX90.

What I'd like to do is ask which is the best version of firmware in terms of quality of sound primarily (feature set / lack of problems , secondary).  But I won't.  I realize it's like going into a forum and asking what the best (headphone / amp / DAC / car / etc) is.

So, let me ask this ....  Is there any reason why I shouldn't just try V2.3.0 ? Should I look at Lurker's version(s)?  I'm sure this has been asked before, but this thread is a bit unwieldy to search / read through.   Or is there a better version I should use?

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:27 AM Post #13,221 of 14,084
Hard to say: you have to make some tests to hear what your prefer. I had no problem with all the firmwares I tested.

Nov 14, 2015 at 8:36 AM Post #13,222 of 14,084
  Hi all,

It's been about a year and more than 3000 posts ago that I last wandered into this thread.  I've had my DX90 at least that long, and I still have the original V2.0.0 firmware.  Back at that time there was a lot of discussion about how changing firmware versions changed the sound, so being pretty pleased with the sound, I decided to avoid any upgrading.

So, cut to a year later, and I see the DX80 is out.  But before I spend more on that, I'd like to see if I'm getting the best out of my DX90.

What I'd like to do is ask which is the best version of firmware in terms of quality of sound primarily (feature set / lack of problems , secondary).  But I won't.  I realize it's like going into a forum and asking what the best (headphone / amp / DAC / car / etc) is.

So, let me ask this ....  Is there any reason why I shouldn't just try V2.3.0 ? Should I look at Lurker's version(s)?  I'm sure this has been asked before, but this thread is a bit unwieldy to search / read through.   Or is there a better version I should use?

I have the same questions.

Because switching firmware can be done in a matter of minutes, dedicate some time to testing a few, let's say 3 of them. For example, I settled on v2.2.0 because it sounded best (to me) with my Tralucent hybrid IEM, I also tried v2.1.5 and 2.1.8 spending a few days switching between them causally.

Its completely different for each person, their headphone etc, Whatever you do don't be afraid to jump and test them at your own speed, every firmware is available on iBasso's website and you can roll back anytime. Once you change firmware you're not locked out, rolling backward is simple as reinstalling the firmware you like (or used) before.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #13,223 of 14,084
I had tried to sell my DX90 at a head-fi event as I preferred my Fiio X5, then 2.3 changed things for me. Previously I had not detected significant differences but 2.3 was more attacking and alive. But many here didn't like it as too harsh. It's certainly different, so only you can tell.

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:44 AM Post #13,224 of 14,084
2.3 works well being bass light, as so many portable headphones have a bass emphasis.
In this rare occasion two wrongs make a right!

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:49 AM Post #13,225 of 14,084
2.3 works well being bass light, as so many portable headphones have a bass emphasis.
In this rare occasion two wrongs make a right!

Used it with HD800s, Grado325, se846, and Tralucent 1plus2s. These don't all have bass emphasis. Especially the Grados! It's purely a matter of personal preference, and ones own ears :).

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM Post #13,226 of 14,084
In fact iBasso don't see 2.3 as a 'wrong'. It's been their current firmware for quite a while. Maybe their final for DX90?

Nov 14, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #13,228 of 14,084
Very helpful!  Guess I'll start experimenting.
Don't forget to perform Factory Reset after each firmware update! It's a common mistake which leads to problems.

Nov 15, 2015 at 1:24 PM Post #13,229 of 14,084
There are a lot of really smart guys on this thread so maybe you can help me with this one.

My old Vista machine made perfect rips but my new 8.1 leaves long gaps and makes the DX90 freeze up. So I bought a standalone ripper, a Cocktail Audio X12, which makes perfect rips and will be replacing my DX90 as my digital transport at work. I've ripped over 1000 CDs in WAV and have found this format to be superior to FLAC, sound-wise.

The problem is the X12 generates 3 files for each song: the WAV file, and ID3 file, and an IDB file. I noticed for FLAC/MP3, the ID3 is integrated into the music file. Metadata would be nice but I really don't care if it is displayed or not, I just want my DX90 to be stable again.

So I wonder should I delete the ID3 and IDB files before loading the new WAV files into the DX90's micro SDs.

Nov 15, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #13,230 of 14,084
  There are a lot of really smart guys on this thread so maybe you can help me with this one.

My old Vista machine made perfect rips but my new 8.1 leaves long gaps and makes the DX90 freeze up. So I bought a standalone ripper, a Cocktail Audio X12, which makes perfect rips and will be replacing my DX90 as my digital transport at work. I've ripped over 1000 CDs in WAV and have found this format to be superior to FLAC, sound-wise.

The problem is the X12 generates 3 files for each song: the WAV file, and ID3 file, and an IDB file. I noticed for FLAC/MP3, the ID3 is integrated into the music file. Metadata would be nice but I really don't care if it is displayed or not, I just want my DX90 to be stable again.

So I wonder should I delete the ID3 and IDB files before loading the new WAV files into the DX90's micro SDs.

Were you using Exact Audio Copy, a gold standard program, before you switched to standalone? Also, please note FLAC does not use ID3, it uses another system to add metadata to a music file called Vorbis_Comment. There is a freeware tagging program called MP3Tag that handles all of this very well.
Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back