DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
Mar 14, 2015 at 11:01 AM Post #11,341 of 14,084
ZverMetel - Nobody dictates you have to use 2.1.8, this is a free world, use 2.1.5 if it makes you happier!
I love 2.1.8, especially with the T5p and CKR9 LTD - much more musical than 2.1.5.

+1
I really like the new Lurker 2.18 L0 firmware especially when coupled with Dunu DN2000 :wink:

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:07 PM Post #11,343 of 14,084
I never had the 1st generation Meenova but did think this one sticks out quite a bit.  I was hoping it would be smaller and a tighter fit with the DX90.  Not a problem as long as it's on my desk, but I'm not as confident if it were in my pocket or banging around in a bag.

The best thing about the new menova is that the light is considerably less brighter, which makes you look less of a geek and presumably saves battery (although it still eats power). It would be interesting to know if the new firmware update improves battery drain through OTG.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM Post #11,344 of 14,084

I never had the 1st generation Meenova but did think this one sticks out quite a bit.  I was hoping it would be smaller and a tighter fit with the DX90.  Not a problem as long as it's on my desk, but I'm not as confident if it were in my pocket or banging around in a bag.

The best thing about the new menova is that the light is considerably less brighter, which makes you look less of a geek and presumably saves battery (although it still eats power). It would be interesting to know if the new firmware update improves battery drain through OTG.

I have the 1st gen meenova. The fit is tight enough to have no worries about it falling out. I have walked around with it in but because the dx90 is upside down (because the headphone is on the bottom!) it wouldn't fall out anyway, as such!
Maybe its just luck how well they fit in various devices? I dont mind the blue light shining out from my all black 'stealth' dx90 :)

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #11,345 of 14,084
Hi guys,

Sorry this took so long but I finally got my K10s back 2 days ago, and I made a short trip earlier today to one of the local stores to do a comparison of my Migel modded DX90j against the standard DX90.

(yes that AK240 screen is screwed up. One of the store staff dropped it the day before)

This is NOT an apples to apples comparison; my DX90MM is running 2.1.8L0 and using a Japan Samsung battery while the store unit is using 2.1.0 and the default Pisen battery. Note that any differences I describe may have possibly been enhanced/attenuated by this difference in firmware and batteries.

After A/Bing between the two with my own music (and also listening to the AK240 for reference/to see what the hype is all about) these are the major points I took down:

- The DX90MM has improved instrument separation with a very slightly expanded soundstage. 
- The DX90MM has an overall punchier and tighter bass with slightly less presence due to reduced bass bloom. I also hear rumble that extends deeper than the stock unit.
- The DX90MM has much less sound signature variance at different gain levels.
- The DX90MM has a much blacker background. When listening to some RHCP vinyl rips on the standard unit I heard some hiss that I dismissed as vinyl artifacts only for them to not be present on the modded unit.

After my short comparison, it was evident that the mod nudges the DX90MM closer to a reference sound without losing much musicality and becoming as clinical and thin as the AK240 and other AK players (honestly not very impressed by them now that I've given them a spin).

Credit goes to Mikhail for producing the mod. For anyone considering the mod, he's a pleasant guy to deal with, works real fast (can't say the same about the Russian Post though) and charges extremely reasonable prices. Makes me wonder what other modders are thinking commanding the prices they do. 

Really happy with the final result, and I hope I've described enough to allow those considering the mod to make their minds up.

Mar 14, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #11,346 of 14,084
i'm going back to 2.1.5L2. The random rebooting after selecting certain audio files has increased in frequency with 2.1.8. even when transferring the folder to the onboard memory, same results as on the micro sd card. I can't keep deleting songs from folders just because the dx90 can't play them on a certain firmware. It's a shame as i'm really enjoying the sound from 2.1.8.

Mar 14, 2015 at 1:57 PM Post #11,347 of 14,084
  Credit goes to Mikhail for producing the mod. For anyone considering the mod, he's a pleasant guy to deal with, works real fast (can't say the same about the Russian Post though) and charges extremely reasonable prices. Makes me wonder what other modders are thinking commanding the prices they do. 

Really happy with the final result, and I hope I've described enough to allow those considering the mod to make their minds up.

I have got to do this!  But sadly, no monies at the moment.  So sad.  So very, very sad.

Thanks so much, rushofblood, for your fantastic effort in approximating an objective A/B test.  If only someone could do this with a stock DX90 running, say, 2.1.5L2 and 2.1.8L1—complete with objective measurements.

Mar 14, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #11,348 of 14,084
Hi guys,

Sorry this took so long but I finally got my K10s back 2 days ago, and I made a short trip earlier today to one of the local stores to do a comparison of my Migel modded DX90j against the standard DX90.

(yes that AK240 screen is screwed up. One of the store staff dropped it the day before)

This is NOT an apples to apples comparison; my DX90MM is running 2.1.8L0 and using a Japan Samsung battery while the store unit is using 2.1.0 and the default Pisen battery. Note that any differences I describe may have possibly been enhanced/attenuated by this difference in firmware and batteries.

After A/Bing between the two with my own music (and also listening to the AK240 for reference/to see what the hype is all about) these are the major points I took down:

- The DX90MM has improved instrument separation with a very slightly expanded soundstage. 

- The DX90MM has an overall punchier and tighter bass with slightly less presence due to reduced bass bloom. I also hear rumble that extends deeper than the stock unit.

- The DX90MM has much less sound signature variance at different gain levels.

- The DX90MM has a much blacker background. When listening to some RHCP vinyl rips on the standard unit I heard some hiss that I dismissed as vinyl artifacts only for them to not be present on the modded unit.

After my short comparison, it was evident that the mod nudges the DX90MM closer to a reference sound without losing much musicality and becoming as clinical and thin as the AK240 and other AK players (honestly not very impressed by them now that I've given them a spin).

So how much is the MOD?

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:19 PM Post #11,350 of 14,084
  I have the 1st gen meenova. The fit is tight enough to have no worries about it falling out. I have walked around with it in but because the dx90 is upside down (because the headphone is on the bottom!) it wouldn't fall out anyway, as such!
Maybe its just luck how well they fit in various devices? I dont mind the blue light shining out from my all black 'stealth' dx90 :)

I notice that the 2nd generation Meenova gets warm, warmer, IMO, than the 1st generation, which means it is using more current, which isn't good. I would have thought, since it is to be used mostly on portable devices they would have gone for improved specs. It uses .44 watts an hour, which is quite a bit. 

Mar 14, 2015 at 4:33 PM Post #11,351 of 14,084
can anyone compare the dx90 to the AK100ii ?

thanx

Mar 14, 2015 at 5:34 PM Post #11,353 of 14,084
One would have thought Microsoft would have used a similar standard in formatting SD cards through Windows...
It makes me think it's Microsoft's problem for not following industry set standards properly as well.

?? ExFAT was invented by MS. They set this standard. Others didn't follow. You say the SDcard tool is now
the new standard ?

But it's our problem at least :
All could be easier: Plug a DX90 via USB onto your PC, format the card under windows without a special tool.
I hate to get a NEW device running by downloading this here and that there, installing here & there, formatting etc and i am not alone with this.

I think a culprit is if iBasso takes to much software parts from MS to exchange something, the FW 3.0 is then Windows Phone based and cost intensive :wink:

iBasso Paul send my information to his SW team, so there is an interest to have a better working FW.
Don't you ?

Mar 14, 2015 at 6:42 PM Post #11,354 of 14,084
  @ZverMetel: Could you tell what exactly got worse with 2.1.8? I'm hesitating to upgrade from oh-so-good 2.1.5L3. I mostly listen at high gain to 250 Ohm Beyerdinamic DT990 and sometimes 43Ohm Shure SRH940.

People are people...

I see the many nuances of sound from the new FW (you - too because you have the DT 990). 

As I wrote before, my ears with the new FW was (because I'v turned back to 2.1.5) - was about deaf really! But, I have the modded player with the more output power as I know (means the phone output).

Just try it and SEE! And - choose yours!

Mar 14, 2015 at 8:43 PM Post #11,355 of 14,084
  I have got to do this!  But sadly, no monies at the moment.  So sad.  So very, very sad.

Thanks so much, rushofblood, for your fantastic effort in approximating an objective A/B test.  If only someone could do this with a stock DX90 running, say, 2.1.5L2 and 2.1.8L1—complete with objective measurements.

So how much is the MOD?

You guys should drop a mail to Mikhail for the pricing - sanmigel@mail.ru - you might be surprised at the price. :)

Also to note that the mod doesn't affect the battery life of the DX90, and very slightly reduces the volume of the headphone out. Volume matching the 2 units to the same numerical volume left the DX90MM at an audibly lower volume. Had to up the volume by 4-5 to get it approximately matched.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back