DX90. 2X Sabre,1st page: Downloads, info&inst. . ! Lurker0 FW Mod link 1st page !!. .NEW FW! 2.3.0 . . . . .
May 17, 2014 at 10:41 AM Post #5,191 of 14,084

I too have a balanced unit but it doesn't sound cleaner or stronger either way if the signal is already clean and amp is powerful enough for the phone used.

My point was in the case of DX90, which is already clean any noise you will further reduce by going balance doesn't merit the cost and risk imo.

Fair enough, in my case I would not mind having a balance out to my balance in amp but that just my preference, like you though price is definitively going to be an issue as I don't want to spend an arm and a leg getting to that state. I have an amp I consider better than the DX90 so feeding it the dac outputs only makes sense to me.

I also like the slow roll-off. It sound more natural to me than the sharp roll off which sound clinically clean and stripped of micro details.

That was a feature I was really looking forward to see in the DX50 but really glad they eventually incorporated it to the DX90, the slow roll-off is also my preference as it still lets the harmonics at the edge coming through and yet cut it off the undesired high and lower frequencies although it's getting hard to get them as the DACs and amps have gotten way better at low noise floors nowadays.

May 17, 2014 at 10:45 AM Post #5,192 of 14,084
Being back on firmware 2.00 sounds great, I've sent an email to ibasso asking if they can keep the sound of the the original firmware for their next update, but add in all the massive improvements the newer update has. If you feel the same way then send an email also, otherwise ibasso will probably come up with another messed up sound signature for next update. Or at least let iBasso know you liked 2.00 better than 2.05, as it gives them an idea of what sound we like and don't like. Moving backwards in sq with a newer update is just silly, it pretty much negates my being impressed that iBasso got the sq right the very first time, lol.

Being an owner of the DX50 and now the DX 90., once they update the firmware you will never get the same sound as the original! You will get many variations but never the same!:wink:

May 17, 2014 at 10:46 AM Post #5,193 of 14,084

Fair enough, in my case I would not mind having a balance out to my balance in amp but that just my preference, like you though price is definitively going to be an issue as I don't want to spend an arm and a leg getting to that state. I have an amp I consider better than the DX90 so feeding it the dac outputs only makes sense to me.

I feel with the latest DAPs the SQ difference will be very subtle and only by nitpicking will you get any difference. Perhaps it's time to turn my attention to headphone mods where the difference will no doubt be substantial either positive or negative.
L3000.gif

May 17, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #5,196 of 14,084
Have to agree that I'm all for bug fixes and UI upgrades, but I really don't want iBasso chasing a different sound signature with every new firmware.

But well done on the Charge Only USB option. Works well.

May 17, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #5,197 of 14,084
So im trying the filters... but it doesnt seem to be working for me. I dont hear any difference, on top of that the little button on the right of each option isnt lighting up when i click on it... i assume its not working. Any ideas?

May 17, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #5,198 of 14,084
Have to agree that I'm all for bug fixes and UI upgrades, but I really don't want iBasso chasing a different sound signature with every new firmware.

But well done on the Charge Only USB option. Works well.

I'll be honest with this. I love well-implemented ES9018 setups, but there was a bit of unwarranted treble energy in the initial release. Sounded sort of typical of a less-than-perfect implementation of the DAC (high-order distortion, etc). I have a feeling that iBasso was trying to reel that treble glare in a bit and still offer an option that's close to the original, hotter sound with the sharp roll digital filter. The Intruder being so authoritative down low really mitigated my issues with it, and I never used the HPO on the player, so I didn't really complain. I happen to like the new firmware. I just need at 64-bit DAC driver for Windows 8.1.

Kojaku

May 17, 2014 at 11:11 AM Post #5,199 of 14,084
TBH, just as I thought the SQ on DX90 can't get any better, adding the option with the sharp/slow roll off feels like they finally letting DX90 all out. Sorry that some people didn't like the SQ on the updated FW. But for me, this is it. The SQ is more balanced than the original FW. I think it has a lot more air (slow roll-off) and combined with great instrument separation and open soundstage it's much more fun listening to rock music. Listening to Metallica and oh boy it never sounded this good on my T1 (driven by O2)

EDIT: Now listening to STP. The difference is much greater. reverbs, cymbal crashes and echoes just feel so alive and lovely. I think this will keep me up all night lol
beerchug.gif

Thank you iBasso. Now please add support for USB DAC on Mac

May 17, 2014 at 11:12 AM Post #5,200 of 14,084
Well I went back and compared the two firmwares again lol. I really dislike the sharp roll off filter on the new firmware, but I can definitely agree with goodvibes that the slow roll off filter on newer firmware is more emotionally engaging in most cases than the older firmware. The sound stage is also wider on the newer firmware with more air on top as well, which is quite nice. The older firmware is slightly more compressed, but the imaging and layering is more prominent. The older firmware sounds more 3D but also limited to inside your head, but the newer firmware with slow roll off is more wide open sounding out of head like, but imaging is flatter. It is arguable which firmware sounds more natural. I find that both actually have the same detail level, but based on your preferences/earphones you might find the detail easier heard on one firmware or the other, as the newer firmware spreads the detail out wide, while the older concentrates it with superb layering. Sometimes I feel the sound lacks a bit of speed and separation with slow roll off filter though, compared to original firmware which has slightly faster decay time of notes. I'd say the new firmware is def worth a listen and no worse than the old.. I take back my negative comments about about the new firmware, I did most of my listening with the sharp roll off last time, which is probably why I rushed to negative thoughts.

May 17, 2014 at 11:13 AM Post #5,201 of 14,084
  So im trying the filters... but it doesnt seem to be working for me. I dont hear any difference, on top of that the little button on the right of each option isnt lighting up when i click on it... i assume its not working. Any ideas?

Do a factory reset and if that doesn't work, reload the Fw and then do another reset.

May 17, 2014 at 11:17 AM Post #5,202 of 14,084

Are you toggling the slow/sharp roll-off while a music is playing and you don't hear any difference?

stop the currently playing music then toggle the option and restart the playback. If you still don't hear any difference then you file may not contain anything on the extreme high end. Are you at least playing a lossless file?

May 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #5,203 of 14,084
Actually I haven't even had a chance to listen to the new firmware so I'm not making a judgement on that.

I just don't like the idea of changing something as subjective as a sound sig with every bug fix/ UI improvement.

May 17, 2014 at 11:20 AM Post #5,204 of 14,084

Are you toggling the slow/sharp roll-off while a music is playing and you don't hear any difference?

stop the currently playing music then toggle the option and restart the playback. If you still don't hear any difference then you file may not contain anything on the extreme high end. Are you at least playing a lossless file?

Its definitely just not working at all. Im pretty sure brass instruments will have at least some sort of timbre change with those filters

Attempting resets and redownloading firmware...

thnx for the suggestions guys

May 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #5,205 of 14,084
Actually I haven't even had a chance to listen to the new firmware so I'm not making a judgement on that.

I just don't like the idea of changing something as subjective as a sound sig with every bug fix/ UI improvement.

I agree, but if it makes it better then I won't complain...  lol
darthsmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back