DX80 Purist Firmware Modification - For purist audiophiles
Feb 18, 2016 at 2:55 AM Post #61 of 134
PM sent. As for the reason why I want to disable gaplass for better sound performance, gaplass will fetch buffer of upcoming track, apply the buffer stream to merge with main track meaning there's additional DSP at work and affect audio performance to a degree. Removing it make it sound purer.

Regards,
Windows X

Feb 26, 2016 at 11:21 PM Post #63 of 134
Update for version 1.3.3 released. I also added some ROM tweaks to improve performance and removed Gaplass again (sound better that way to me).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l62r941sxpmfcua

Regards,
Windows X

Feb 27, 2016 at 8:46 AM Post #65 of 134
I was messing around this evening, thought I'd give this firmware a try.

I had been unpleased how my Tralucent Ref.1 sounded with all DX80 stock firmwares. I downloaded this one thinking "meh' just another custom firmware. Installed it, scanned my card, popped in my Ref.1 hitting play with low expectations.

What happened next was a big smile on my face as the sound from my Ref.1 was extremely wide, clean and well separated, I juggled through some tracks to confirm hearing DX80/Ref.1 like I'd never heard them before. I then jumped straight online to say thanks.

I'll keep playing with it, but so far its a big thumbs up from me, really clean, wide, noticeable separation increase and an effortless sense to the music, no strain or feeling weighed down. Just clean crisp sound.

Thanks to WindowsX who took the time to do this.

Feb 27, 2016 at 9:58 AM Post #66 of 134
Damn I still don't know how to use half of my DX80 and I'm already modding it :D

A big thanks to WindowsX but..... can't live without gapless. I understand your "hate" for DSP as a whole but it's such an immersion breaking factor when you listen to concerts, suites or other kind of records like Dark Side of The Moon or Dub Side as well!!

Aright, going to bake 1.3.0 in right now!

Feb 28, 2016 at 12:33 AM Post #67 of 134
Thank you for your feedback. It's not much but I hope this will help mending DX80's sonic performance. For gaplass, I recommend merging them all to a single file for real gaplass performance. :)

Regards,
Windows X

Feb 28, 2016 at 4:17 AM Post #68 of 134
Thank you for your feedback. It's not much but I hope this will help mending DX80's sonic performance. For gaplass, I recommend merging them all to a single file for real gaplass performance. :)

Regards,
Windows X

Windows X,

Any software you suggest to combine WAV files into one track with cue??

Many thx, your FW is really amazing~

Screamsver

Feb 28, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #69 of 134
I modded firmware, replaced opamps with different set and audio caps based on my reference between Emm Labs/Esoteric design.

Regards,
Windows X

Out of curiosity.. Any reason Manufacturers aren't using these Flat supercapacitors? They are cheap and still provide the power they need, just save space, in a world where everything has to be thinner.
http://www.cap-xx.com/929/
There are multiple manufacturers now,, but it would be awesome to start seeing thinner more powerful players at the same prices we're used to.

Feb 28, 2016 at 1:04 PM Post #70 of 134
Strictly speaking, they don't 'supply' power, they just store it locally. Think of them as teeny tiny batteries rather than power rail decoupling caps. They aren't a replacement for a big ass Li-ion battery in terms of capacity, though they do have very good density these days.  More the sort of thing youd find in s self winding quartz watch or wearable device with kinetic energy scavenging built in.  

There's not really a need for them in wearable audio. Not unless you were looking for a w_ank powered ipod....

Feb 29, 2016 at 2:01 PM Post #71 of 134
  Update for version 1.3.3 released. I also added some ROM tweaks to improve performance and removed Gaplass again (sound better that way to me).

http://www.mediafire.com/download/l62r941sxpmfcua

Regards,
Windows X

Firmware sounds really great! Thank a lot! However, I join those who feel nostalgic for gapless. Listen opera with interrupts is not very convenient. As we know wav does not support cue, but flac and ape sounds worse then wav. Alas.

Mar 1, 2016 at 9:04 AM Post #72 of 134
Strictly speaking, they don't 'supply' power, they just store it locally. Think of them as teeny tiny batteries rather than power rail decoupling caps. They aren't a replacement for a big ass Li-ion battery in terms of capacity, though they do have very good density these days.  More the sort of thing youd find in s self winding quartz watch or wearable device with kinetic energy scavenging built in.  

There's not really a need for them in wearable audio. Not unless you were looking for a w_ank powered ipod....

Was just figuring they could be used for saving space in thickness. We all love thinner devices now-a-days, yet still want to have all the power of a home stereo system.. (We're pretty demanding aren't we.. Lol)

Mar 1, 2016 at 1:38 PM Post #73 of 134
  Firmware sounds really great! Thank a lot! However, I join those who feel nostalgic for gapless. Listen opera with interrupts is not very convenient. As we know wav does not support cue, but flac and ape sounds worse then wav. Alas.

Nope. They are indistinguishable.

Mar 5, 2016 at 7:37 AM Post #75 of 134
Just wondering if the cue functionality still works when single files are rendered with cue? That is can you still skip tracks?
Edit- just installed 1.3.3. Can confirm cue file track skipping works, but it doesn't play as a gapless single file. There is an audible glitch transitioning from one song to another.
To my ears the sound seems to be more analytical. Not sure if this is better or not.....or maybe there is no difference, I haven't done any blind test to see if there's any difference.
I'm nott Sure if I'm imagining this but this mod really ups the analytical nature of the sound. I'm listening to Plastikman's Ex album and it sounds like it's coming straight out of Richie Hawtins sound card.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back