DX80 Purist Firmware Modification - For purist audiophiles
May 18, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #92 of 134
Sorry for the delay. I'm currently busy with Fidelizer music server project. I don't even have time to prepare 1.4.2 for my customers who purchased DX80 mod or its firmware mod. I've finished most parts today and will update DX80 for my clients first then do free purist mod later.

Regards,
Windows X

May 18, 2016 at 6:45 PM Post #93 of 134
Alright. It's done now. Aside from updating to 1.4.2, I also added storage optimizations for better performance.

This mod will have the following changes below:

-Based on official version 1.4.2
-Change fallback font to Helvetica Neue and use Nimbus Sans Global Light instead of Bold
-Optimized ROM configuration for better performance
-Optimized storage performance
-Optimized video rendering performance
-Removed audio effect engine completely
-Removed Equalizer feature
-Removed unused binaries and library files for smaller footprints
-Removed video components in particle components configuration

Download: http://www.mediafire.com/download/gayj9aaapdqde0v

Your DX80 should have DSP-free playback engine now. Let me know if you notice any changes in audio performance with this mod.

Regards,
Windows X

May 18, 2016 at 6:57 PM Post #94 of 134
  Alright. It's done now. Aside from updating to 1.4.2, I also added storage optimizations for better performance.

-Change fallback font to Helvetica Neue and use Nimbus Sans Global Light instead of Bold

Your DX80 should have DSP-free playback engine now. Let me know if you notice any changes in audio performance with this mod.

Regards,
Windows X

What do you mean DSP-free? 

May 18, 2016 at 7:02 PM Post #95 of 134
Remove audio processing chain in software like video filters, EQ, Gaplass. Oh, someone requested gaplass to be back so it did btw.

Regards,
Windows X

May 18, 2016 at 7:43 PM Post #96 of 134

Regards,
Windows X

Many many thanx WindowsX~

May 18, 2016 at 8:46 PM Post #97 of 134
So the EQ was removed? Mine doesn't work. Also the sound seems a little flat. 

May 19, 2016 at 11:06 AM Post #98 of 134
Yeah. EQ is removed. This is purist mod for purist audiophiles with more inner fidelity.

Regards,
Windows X

May 19, 2016 at 1:48 PM Post #99 of 134
  Yeah. EQ is removed. This is purist mod for purist audiophiles with more inner fidelity.

Regards,
Windows X

I never use EQ but if you don't use it how is it affecting the sound? What does DSP free mean? The font is the same as the stock FW. Was it supposed to be changed? 

May 25, 2016 at 12:50 AM Post #100 of 134
Hi WindowsX,

thank you for your hard work!

I am new to this, so I may be asking something stupid.  

How do you verify if I have done it correctly?  I downloaded the file, unzipped.  The file name is update_original.img.  And the file size is exactly the same as the one downloaded from ibasso.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

May 25, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #101 of 134
I never use EQ but if you don't use it how is it affecting the sound? What does DSP free mean? The font is the same as the stock FW. Was it supposed to be changed?

Unfortunately it seems all coding in a given firmware has an effect on the sound, even seemingly unused code, I'm not sure of the scientific explanation, but there surely is one given the audible difference. WindowsX is simply removing the code for the EQ etc, and this is having an effect on the sound. It is the same phenomenon as the WAV only QA360 firmwares, simply by removing the code for reading mp3 and flac the WAV only firmware sounds different (better). Basically it is showing us that the more bare bones and streamlined the firmware code is then the more transparent it will sound. This is why I'm so conflicted about new daps that use big operating systems like android, and what it might be doing to the purity of the sound. Daps like QA360 and Tera remain the only dap's who's firmware has been purposefully designed to be as bare bones as possible with the intent of best sonic quality.

What really bothers me is that I'm sure other dap makers are aware of this effect that firmware coding has on the sound, but none have yet to try and design a bare bones firmware like QLS has for their dap, and we are left to scrounge for custom firmwares like the one OP has done.

May 25, 2016 at 6:04 PM Post #102 of 134
  Hi WindowsX,

thank you for your hard work!

I am new to this, so I may be asking something stupid.  

How do you verify if I have done it correctly?  I downloaded the file, unzipped.  The file name is update_original.img.  And the file size is exactly the same as the one downloaded from ibasso.  Is this correct?

Thanks in advance.

Ah! Sorry my bad. I right clicked on the wrong file. I've updated the mirror with correct file now. For those who have downloaded before, please download and apply the real update again.

Regards,
Windows X

May 25, 2016 at 9:10 PM Post #103 of 134

Unfortunately it seems all coding in a given firmware has an effect on the sound, even seemingly unused code, I'm not sure of the scientific explanation, but there surely is one given the audible difference. WindowsX is simply removing the code for the EQ etc, and this is having an effect on the sound. It is the same phenomenon as the WAV only QA360 firmwares, simply by removing the code for reading mp3 and flac the WAV only firmware sounds different (better). Basically it is showing us that the more bare bones and streamlined the firmware code is then the more transparent it will sound. This is why I'm so conflicted about new daps that use big operating systems like android, and what it might be doing to the purity of the sound. Daps like QA360 and Tera remain the only dap's who's firmware has been purposefully designed to be as bare bones as possible with the intent of best sonic quality.

What really bothers me is that I'm sure other dap makers are aware of this effect that firmware coding has on the sound, but none have yet to try and design a bare bones firmware like QLS has for their dap, and we are left to scrounge for custom firmwares like the one OP has done.

Yes but I don't find the sound improved. 

May 25, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #104 of 134
Yes but I don't find the sound improved. 

Did it worsen? You mentioned it sounding flatter before. Imo ibasso still has a ways to go in creating transparent firmware if the sound is altered when you streamline their firmware. Personally I don't think dap companies are doing good enough on the firmware front, maybe they aren't knowledgeable enough...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back