DX80 Purist Firmware Modification - For purist audiophiles
Jan 31, 2016 at 4:17 PM Post #18 of 134
Thanks to those who put in download this firmware, not an expert but compared to 1.1.4 "my favorite" with this fw feel a little more heat, especially in more detail, I am really very satisfied.

Feb 1, 2016 at 2:46 AM Post #19 of 134
Thank you OP! My DX80 now sounds so clean and crispy, especially when it is paired with my Etymotic ER4s.

Is it possible to enable an android launcher? It would be so cool if the DX80 can run apk apps (especially an alternative music player as the stock music player is really laggy when paired with my Samsung EVO micro-sd). 

Feb 2, 2016 at 12:21 AM Post #21 of 134
DX80 doesn't even have Android runtime. It just boots up to own loader software instead of Android's. I'm glad to hear you like my firmware mod though it's only DSP free without any OS optimizations. I hate dealing with experts who complain about my mods.

Regards,
Windows X

Feb 2, 2016 at 9:28 AM Post #22 of 134
Hey, i am not one of those "firmware changes the soundstage or depth of the sound" guys. But i always like removing stuff that is not needed, and i like the simplistic font. So thumbs up for the mod. Thanks

Feb 2, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #23 of 134
Glad to know you like it. :)

Regards,
Windows X

Feb 3, 2016 at 1:44 AM Post #24 of 134
Hi WindowsX,
Thanks for your firmware. It is really wonderful, musical, transparent, with a wide stage and plenty of detail than the stock firmware.
But I have one problem noticed so far on one album 'Florence and the Machine' (FLAC 24bit 96kHz) - at the beginning of each next track appears the click (crackling sound) and quite unpleasant.
Please fix! If necessary I can lay out the album.
Also some albums in wav format *.VW not playing! Player either hangs or clicks and overloaded.
Best Regards,
Serge

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:06 AM Post #25 of 134
Hi WindowsX,
Thanks for your firmware. It is really wonderful, musical, transparent, with a wide stage and plenty of detail than the stock firmware.
But I have one problem noticed so far on one album 'Florence and the Machine' (FLAC 24bit 96kHz) - at the beginning of each next track appears the click (crackling sound) and quite unpleasant.
Please fix! If necessary I can lay out the album.
Also some albums in wav format *.VW not playing! Player either hangs or clicks and overloaded.
Best Regards,
Serge

Pretty sure this is a iBasso issue, not @WindowsX issue.. All he did was remove certain features to the OS. Experiment with that album on stock firmware to be sure. If so, inform Paul the iBasso rep, he should be able to submit it to the developers, then all WindowsX has to do is update his "Purist" version. Hope this helps.

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:25 AM Post #27 of 134
On iBasso stock 1.3.0 plays this album OK. It's only on WindowsX firmware 0.5 sec crackling on each new track.

Ah okay, gotcha.. We'll see what he says.. I have yet to have that issue.. I have the songs cutting off at the end sporadically that bothers me to no end.. I will finally be in M happy place enjoying the music, then violently, the ending of the song gets cutoff!! What happened!!?? Ugh.. I'm stuck waiting for that to be fixed.. But that is an iBasso issue, not a WindowsX issue.. Lol.. Hope yours gets resolved! :beers:

Feb 3, 2016 at 3:33 AM Post #28 of 134
That's strange. All I did was removing DSP stuff and changed system font. It shouldn't affect playback stability. It might be having additional DSP in playback engine somehow saved this by increasing DSP latency so it has more time to manage before playback.

I didn't notice such issue from my fully modded firmware for my customers though. Maybe some optimizations need to be done after DSP removal or hope iBasso will improve things in next version. I learnt it hard way not to mess with it or I'll get into trouble with experts who complain about my tweaks.

Regards,
Windows X

Feb 3, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #30 of 134
Although it's not like there's nothing for me to solve with public firmware. However, I won't risk myself with custom tweaks again. I even got banned from DX90 thread once from merely suggesting what can be further improved. So I'll keep my custom tweaks only to my customers who won't complain with my work and I hope new version of iBasso can fix that.

Regards,
Windows X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back