DX50 Bug List, Wish List Fix
Sep 14, 2013 at 10:31 AM Post #271 of 1,212
Not a hacker at all but is this a serious possibility the dx50 can be flashed with other custom players or roms (excuse incorrect terminology)

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:39 AM Post #272 of 1,212
Not a hacker at all but is this a serious possibility the dx50 can be flashed with other custom players or roms (excuse incorrect terminology)

Well, given that the processor etc can handle it. Installing Poweramp sounds a bit difficult.

I have high hopes in you DIY mod people!

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #274 of 1,212
Well, given that the processor etc can handle it. Installing Poweramp sounds a bit difficult.

Sure. There are so many threads with related information and exact information for rk2928 chip. I will consolidate and update, surprised no one started hacking this gem! or atleast no one posted yet other than chip information.

This is great news, thanks for the info. With the amount of DYI skillful people in here, I am positive there are someone tinkering with the unit hardware and software as we speak, they are just too busy having fun. This dap is just too tempting for not performing an open heart surgery on it. The key is to make sure you are not going to brick it or render it inoperable by fiddling in its internals.

Sep 14, 2013 at 10:54 AM Post #276 of 1,212
My experience with db scanning (assortment from different daps from multiple brands I have had):

1. Remove all non music/cover art files/folder (e.g. .nomedia .xyx from android phones, .spotlight .trash etc from MacOS, any hidden/tmp files from windows, etc etc you get the idea)

2. Disable auto sleep timer as some players (dx50 included) would shutdown even the scan isn't completed

3. Avoid tags with chars mixed encoding (e.g. chinese+jap)

4. Avoid custom tags esp those from torrent sites that are tagged in some custom fields that promote their websites etc

5. Avoid having large (500x500 pixel or more) cocer art embedded

6. Avoid mixing file name encoded in different char encoding

7. Avoid having too many directory levels on the card or very long directory/filenames

8. Avoid formatting large capacity cards from exFAT to FAT32

Hope these helps.

Thanks! I'll have to clean up my files and tags later today. What would be the ideal album cover art size?

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:02 AM Post #277 of 1,212

Thanks! I'll have to clean up my files and tags later today. What would be the ideal album cover art size?

I really am not sure for the DX50 as the 500x500 limitation is from the AK100/AK120 and I had already retagged the "offending" files so all my cover art are at or below 500 and don't have issue with DX50.  DX50 may be able to handle large ones as I don't seems to see people reporting cover art as a problem.  That list, as I mentioned, is my general experiences gathered from multiple brands/models over the years.

Cheers

Sep 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM Post #278 of 1,212

Yeah, I think a custom ROM that actually has all the features the original FW has (hi-res, S/PDIF) and is snappy about it and doesn't drain battery much etc. wouldn't be that easy to pull off. Not that it's impossible but I don't think it's gonna be quick.

Quote:
Rockbox even?

Now that would be a treat! !!

That would also take away true hi-res playback. Maybe S/PDIF output too. Thanks, I'll pass.

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #279 of 1,212
A couple of things I've noticed that could be added/fixed...

1. Lack of Artist -> Album view. That way, scrolling through artists would be smooth, and the albums by that artist could have their art displayed (the most albums/singles I have by one artist is around 20, and I could stand the slower performance on that small list more than a list of 1000 albums). This is also generally my preferred way to browse music.

2. A paused file automatically resumes playing as soon as a jack is plugged into the line out port. I ever want a song I've paused to resume playing until I'm ready. 

3. Somewhat related to the point above, I'd also prefer it if there was at least an option to stop the DX50 from playing files automatically after pressing the 'Previous Track' button.

4. A way to force the DX50 to scan the Card, OTG etc. I've experienced a very annoying glitch where the scan stops prematurely, and hasn't actually completed the scan. The only way to force a scan is by restarting, or connecting it to a computer while turned on. Adding this as an option would just be helpful.

5. Playlists/Favourites Playlist. The Cowon J3 didn't have great playlist support, but it did have a 'Favourites' section. This was particularly helpful when I wanted to just add my favourite tracks and listen to them in situations I couldn't safely change track. This is supposedly coming soon.

6. Battery charge indicator percentage. The lack of this feature has annoyed me on phones since the days of Symbian. A percentage is a much better visualisation of the level of charge. Shown in a photo previously released by iBasso.

7. An actual fix for the apostrophe problem. Some have reported that the apostrophe problem has been fixed, mine however has not been. I imagine that there may be several apostrophes in the codeset (for the life of me I can't remember what the standards for typefaces are, UTC or something. If anyone knows and could correct me I'd be grateful), and only one was fixed. Or, more likely, botched release.

8. The Gapless options should really be explained more. 'Close' clearly means 'Off', whereas the '5 sec' and '10 sec' options clearly activate it, but with seemingly no difference. Would be nice if iBasso (or anyone who knows, for that matter) could clarify this, as well as change 'Close' to 'Off'.

9. It would be nice to have some indication that something is actually happening on the 'Scanning Media' screen. Yesterday, after updating my DX50 to the latest firmware, I let it scan for 40 minutes and it had only reached 'Daft Punk'. How do I know it wasn't doing anything?:

10. After deleting the 'LOST.DIR' folder that the DX50 persists in creating, it scanned down to R in 8 minutes. One final scan completed it. Therefore, having a progress bar (or anything that indicates it is actually doing something) would be very beneficial for times where it can be doubtful. Not necessary for iBasso to include it, but would be reassuring. They could also try to fix the 'LOST.DIR' problem, since it does appear to be causing problems both with scanning and installing firmware.

11. Fix the Coaxial output to work with files above 24bit 48Khz.

12. Fix the slow playing 192Khz file problem (I don't actually have any 192Khz files to test this with, but others have mentioned it, so I thought I should include it, for the sake of being thorough).

And now for really nit-picky things:

13. A font with consistent kerning. I'll admit, this is pretty OCD, but looking at fonts where letters are unevenly spaced grinds my gears. Especially the amount that the DX50 does. Look at 'Internal storage' and 'SD Card' in the directory option. 'Internal' looks to be written as 'Intemal', and there is a large space between the 'c' and 'a' in 'card'.

14. Slightly less annoying to me than this is the fact that different letters have different thicknesses. Look at 'Now Playing' for an example. The 'w' is so thin on the right side it actually looks anemic. Interestingly, the left side of the 'w' looks normal', so I can only assume that a re-sizing error is the problem.

15. The font thickness problem also exists on the 'Home' page (where you can see the song playing). 'My Music' looks bolded after 'My M', with the capitalised Ms also suffering from anemia. 'Settings' is also noticeably thicker.

Added after editing:

16. A feature that automatically scans files added through USB, so that you no longer need to perform a manual scan (and also a way to turn this feature off).

17. Better error handling. The apostrophe problem was only discovered by experimentation with tags and filenames. It would be helpful if iBasso could add an error system that not only handles errors in a better way (i.e. not causing so many resets, frozen screens etc), but gives the user a notification or error screen/pop-up that tells them what has happened and why (if it's a technical problem like Windows' old BSODs, it would still give iBasso something to work with. All we have now is a rough idea how these errors are caused). If there had been a pop-up saying something like: 'Error: Could not play file due to invalid characters', that would be much more helpful than not playing the file AND not telling the user why.

Anyone got any other bugs to fix or features to add? I'm sure I will come up with some more, but for now I'll call this the 'abridged list of grievances'. 

The three font issues are so minor in the scheme of things that I wouldn't care a lot if they didn't ever get fixed - on the proviso that the first 12 I mentioned were fixed/added.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I had a glitch earlier today. I connected the DX50 to the computer, and was trying to delete the thumbs.db file that Windows automatically creates. I deleted it, and then the player became non-responsive to actions done on the computer (such as opening folders). I disconnected the DX50, turned it off and it turned on again automatically, repeating this every time I turned it off. Only a battery pull fixed it. This leads me to believe that it thinks it was still connected via USB, or handling a charging/power error incorrectly (hence why it turned itself on without me turning it on). 

Number 17 could be an issue though, considering how buggy the firmware is at the moment.

Sep 14, 2013 at 2:37 PM Post #280 of 1,212
For those firmware experts out there, assuming that it is true that firmware can change the sound signature of a DAP, for added value wouldn't it make sense for iBasso to add a settings option to chose the preferred sound signature (ie Sig1, Sig2, Sig 3) as they change the signatures, or even better - a warm, neutral, bright signature option? Or would this require three different firmwares for some reason or triple the size of the file?

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #281 of 1,212
For those firmware experts out there, assuming that it is true that firmware can change the sound signature of a DAP, for added value wouldn't it make sense for iBasso to add a settings option to chose the preferred sound signature (ie Sig1, Sig2, Sig 3) as they change the signatures, or even better - a warm, neutral, bright signature option? Or would this require three different firmwares for some reason or triple the size of the file?

Well, you could use the EQ to get a similar effect. Maybe.

Sep 14, 2013 at 3:39 PM Post #285 of 1,212
OK I mapped out the GUI

=================================================
Now Playing Screen

Touch Controls: MyMusic, Settings, Previous track. Play/Pause, Next Track, Seekbar, Play Order (cycles Next, Random, Repeat, Loop)
  Note, MyMusic button goes back to last viewed MyMusic screen & position in list

Displayed: EQ preset (only if active), Current volume# (1-255), Battery level indicator, Album art (from tags), Khz/Kbps, Play Order, Title, Arist, Album, Track length.
  Note, long names running offscreen do not scroll

MyMusic Screen

Notes: 
  Every screen has controls at the top: Back/previous screen (top left) & Home (top right, goes to Now Playing)
  Drag up and down to scroll through lists as usual. Has accelerated scrolling and bounceback at top/bottom of lists. Screen is a bit sensitive, may inadvertantly select an item while trying to scroll.  
  4 items (tracks, albums, etc) can fit on the screen at once.
  Each track has a icon to the left of text that indicates codec type (MP3, FLAC, etc)
  Most lists use File name as main identifier, along with the Artist tag below that. 
    First 35-40 characters of file name are displayed, longer will run off the screen 
    Suggest naming files like "Album - Track# - Title.flac" etc 
    Use zero padding for track numbers or display and play order will go as 1 > 10 > 11 etc. 

- Now Playing
  Displays list of tracks in the current playlist. Each item shows File name and Artist below that
  Click on a file to play it and a play icon appears on same line. Does not go to Now Playing screen (can always click home icon to go there)
  Note, album art not working here
  Physical buttons on front of player (Previous, Play/Pause, Next) always operates from current track in the playlist. Need to select a track from any list first before buttons will control it. Otherwise play buttons will still be controlling the last active track. 

- Directory
  - Internal storage
      Shows folders and files in root. Items that are folders will have a folder icon and items that are files will have the appropriate codec icon. 
      Select a folder to open it and show contents
        Back button (top left) to go up one folder level, back to the top of that list
      Select a file to play it. Goes to Now Playing screen
        Each item can display the file name over 2 lines. Long file names will wrap
        All items in current folder (shared by the selected track) becomes the current playlist (Now Playing)
  - SD card
      Same as above    
  - USB otg
      Same as above (? don't have otg cable)

- All Music
  Displays all tracks on device. Each item in list shows File name and Artist below that
    Default sort option is Artist
    - All Music Sort > click on All Music at top, by the orange down-arrow, shows:
      - Title tab
      - Album tab
      - Artist tab
      - Time tab
        Sorts tracks by chosen priority
          Note, items are sorted by tag values, however, items only show File name and Artist 
          Not sure how Time option is sorting... 
  Click on a track to play it, goes to Now Playing screen. All tracks become playlist. 

- Album
  Displays all Albums on device from tags. Each item shows Album title on top line and Artist name below that
  Album art is displayed the left side of each item (approx. 40x40 pixel)
    Click on album to open a track list, each item shows File name and Artist below that
      Click on a track to play it, goes to Now Playing screen and all items in that list become the current playlist (see Now Playing screen)

- Artist
  Displays all Artist on device from tags. Each item shows only the Artist name. Icon to the left of each item is generic head&shoulders guy. Sorted alphabetically from top
  Click on Artist item to show all tracks from that artist. Each item is file name and Artist below that
    Tracks are sorted by file name, alphabetically 
    Click on a track to play it. Goes to Now Playing screen and all items in list become current playlist (Now Playing)

- Genre
  Displays all Genres on device from tags. Each item shows only Genre name. Icon to the left of each item is generic head&shoulders guy (same as with Artist list for some reason..). Sorted alphabetically from top
  Click on Genre item to show all tracks in that Genre. Each item shows the File name and Artist below that. Not sure how tracks are sorted here...
    Click on a track to play it. Goes to Now Playing screen and all items in list become current playlist (Now Playing)

Track Option Screen

When looking at a list of tracks, click on the MP3 / FLAC icon that appears to left of the track name and this menu will appear:
- Play
- Add to Playlist
- Music Info
- Delete 

Settings Screen

Every screen has controls at the top: Back/previous screen (top left) & Home (top right, goes to Now Playing)
- EQ
  - Open (enable EQ)
    - Custom tab
    - Pop tab
    - Rock tab
    - Classical tab
    - Dance tab
    - Bass tab
        Each has sliders (-6 to +6) for 30hz, 180hz, 330hz, 600hz, 1khz, 4khz, 12khz, 16khz
        Note, presets can be adjusted and saved with "Close"
    - Close (disable EQ)
        Note, use back or home to exit while leaving EQ Open
    - Reset (sets Custom back to zero'd, Presets back to thier respective defaults)
  - Reset 

- Playmode
  - Order
  - Loop
  - Random
  - Repeat

- Gapless
  - Close (no gapless)
  - 5 seconds (5 second gap buffer?)
  - 10 seconds (more buffer..?)

- Music Info
  - Displays file name, Title, Album, Artist, Duration, Path
    Also displays: Bit rate, Sample rate, Bps (not working or set manually with tags?)
    Note, long names running offscreen do not scroll

- Advanced
  - Languages 
    - English
    - Chinese (Mandarin?)
    - Chinese (Cantonese?)
    - Japanese?
  - Display
    - Power level slider (1-250)
  - Power Management
    - Backlight Off
      - 30 seconds, 1 minutes / 2 minutes / 5 minutes
    - Auto Power Off
      - 5 minutes / 10 minutes / 20 minutes / 30 minutes
  - System Info
    - Shows model number, firmware version, Internal (gigabytes available & total GB), External (GB left/GB total)
  - Factory Reset
    - OK (All data will be erased!) 
    - No
  - Firmware upgrade (only appears when Update.img is detected)

Volume Level Screen

Pressing up or down volume button brings this up from any screen. 
Screen shows a (nearly) circular volume bar with steppings from 1 (empty/minimum) to 255 (full/max)
Use volume buttons to adjust as usual.

Shutdown Screen

While unit is on, hold power button 3 seconds and this screen appears.
"Shutdown the system?"
  - OK
    Shows "iBasso Audio - See you soon"
  - No
    Return to previous screen

Users who are viewing this thread

Back