DX50 a new smaller DAP from iBasso. Spec. page 1. Impressions start on page. . .
Jul 10, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #1,111 of 3,609
I called them, they said they changed their mind. They want it to be an elite player. So at least 3k. No charger included.

One use only. Comes half-charged, and no box. Just raw bubble wrap.

Shipping is half 1k.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #1,112 of 3,609
Quote:
I called them, they said they changed their mind. They want it to be an elite player. So at least 3k. No charger included.

Somebody better notify Mr. Altmann.....the Tera Player will need to be re-priced accordingly! 

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:15 AM Post #1,113 of 3,609
Somebody better notify Mr. Altmann.....the Tera Player will need to be re-priced accordingly! 

$2.3k is still affordable..maybe $10k will be better.

Jul 10, 2013 at 2:38 AM Post #1,115 of 3,609
Quote:
My Tera player is sounding better by the minute.

Legend has it, that those who pay $2.3k for the Tera player, will have a much more superior sounding player!

Fact.

They say it sounds like a waterfall of freedom. 

Jul 10, 2013 at 3:19 AM Post #1,117 of 3,609
Quote:
Affordable to everyone to me means 200-300
biggrin.gif

I agree. I mean, from the specs alone, it is comparable to the x3 (IPS touch screen and replaceable battery aside) so they shouldn't be much more expensive. Product sells well when people think the price is justified, so iBasso should think long and hard before they decide on the pricing. We are very lucky though, because fiio has X5 coming soon, so it will keep iBasso from pricing the dx50 too high... basically what will determine the success of this model Is correct pricing. I don't mean that they should lose money on this model, but if they do it right, they will be selling these like hotcakes... I know I'll be one of those who buys it IF the price is right...

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:09 AM Post #1,118 of 3,609
Quote:
I agree. I mean, from the specs alone, it is comparable to the x3 (IPS touch screen and replaceable battery aside) so they shouldn't be much more expensive. Product sells well when people think the price is justified, so iBasso should think long and hard before they decide on the pricing. We are very lucky though, because fiio has X5 coming soon, so it will keep iBasso from pricing the dx50 too high... basically what will determine the success of this model Is correct pricing. I don't mean that they should lose money on this model, but if they do it right, they will be selling these like hotcakes... I know I'll be one of those who buys it IF the price is right...

From the rendered pic I think DX50 has a much more elegant design.  IPS touch screen itself is not too costly but the whole implementation including firmware and processer power to drive the UI will be enough to make it costing closer to the AK100 than the X3.  People have kept on dogging the AK100 for being overpriced (well at least before the really overpriced one happened) but there is a cost to these components and their implementation.  I would not be surprise for Fiio to undercut iBasso with a lower priced X5 than DX50 but there are still plenty of pluses for DX50 to win our wallets.  DX50 would definitely not be competing directly with X3.

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:23 AM Post #1,119 of 3,609
Talking about elegant design...Don't you think the majority of these daps (x3 included) remind so much (in colour and general appearance), of the compact stereo systems (is that the correct expression?) of the 90s, you know the kind you buy in a large supermarket (I talk about Europe, not sure about places like US)?
As I said they are ALL black plasticky looking with lots of "bitsy" buttons etc.
like, for ex.: 

At least (sorry, I said this before) Jobs, Ive & co. really made an effort towards a more "simpatico" as the italians would say or... flashy, pleasant, endearing and...original result!
...is it really THAT difficult to design something actually.....well...NICE LOOKING?

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:25 AM Post #1,120 of 3,609
Quote:
Talking about elegant design...Don't you think the majority of these daps (x3 included) remind so much (in colour and general appearance), of the compact stereo systems (is that the correct expression?) of the 90s, you know the kind you buy in a large supermarket (I talk about Europe, not sure about places like US)?
As I said they are ALL black plasticky looking with lots of "bitsy" buttons etc.

At least (sorry, I said this before) Jobs, Ive & co. really made an effort towards a more "simpatico" as the italians would say or... flashy, pleasant, endearing and...original result!
...is it really THAT difficult to design something actually.....well...NICE LOOKING?

They did that with the AK100 and AK120 already :wink:. Well even the Studio V looks very classy and is durable (made of metal).

Jul 10, 2013 at 5:33 AM Post #1,121 of 3,609
Quote:
like, for ex.: 

You're exactly right.  None of these chinese manufacturers (Fiio/Hifiman/iBasso) are on the level of even the Korea Cowons/irivers level, let alone Apple.  But they are catching up with each iteration of their products and with more buying power who are willing to buy MIC products domestically.  Korea went thru the same road trying to catch Japan and they have now even exceeded them in many industries.  So no, chinese aesthetics won't be there for another decade or so..... 

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:07 AM Post #1,122 of 3,609
Quote:
like, for ex.: 

From my collection.....(not my pictures)

I think they are both nice looking, despite not coming from the mind of Mr Ive, but from South Korean companies.  

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:15 AM Post #1,123 of 3,609
Sorry, not audiofile enough to know what they are
biggrin.gif

first one on left seems a bit "thick", no?
anyway: ok, we've done the ipod touch-style touch screen with metal back.............ok, we've done the click-wheel...
...can we kind of ....move on from the last...10/12 years?
wink.gif

....actually, I don't know if it was apple who did it but the "all encompassing" does-it-all click wheel was a great invention, don't you think?
is it actually patented?

Jul 10, 2013 at 6:43 AM Post #1,124 of 3,609
Quote:

From the rendered pic I think DX50 has a much more elegant design.  IPS touch screen itself is not too costly but the whole implementation including firmware and processer power to drive the UI will be enough to make it costing closer to the AK100 than the X3.  People have kept on dogging the AK100 for being overpriced (well at least before the really overpriced one happened) but there is a cost to these components and their implementation.  I would not be surprise for Fiio to undercut iBasso with a lower priced X5 than DX50 but there are still plenty of pluses for DX50 to win our wallets.  DX50 would definitely not be competing directly with X3.

I'm not sure that many of us here are willing to pay something like 500-600 for a DAP. we may want it, but we won't be able to afford it. people like me are a majority here. Affordable for anyone doesn't really mean 500+$

Jul 10, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #1,125 of 3,609
Quote:
I'm not sure that many of us here are willing to pay something like 500-600 for a DAP. we may want it, but we won't be able to afford it. people like me are a majority here. Affordable for anyone doesn't really mean 500+$

The most I've ever spent on a DAP was $300, and that was a purchase I had to save up for. I'd be hesitant to go any higher than that unless my financial status changed appreciably.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back