DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Jan 2, 2024 at 10:19 AM Post #1,201 of 1,447
Thinking about getting dx320 Max Ti as an upgrade to my dx300 with amp 11 mk.1 How would you describe the differences? Another contender is A&K sp300 and 3000 model.

Use case are mainly large overears like totl ZMF lineup, especially Atrium Closed for mobile use.
The SP3K and 320M are totally different devices. One is toward a more compact pocketable player and the other one is more of a miniaturized stackable desktop system.

Sound preferences will be upon the personal favor to vote for which one is better. Technically speaking, the 320M is built unlike any other players on the market as it has top tier DAC implementations and desktop like built from attenuator to dedicated amp section.

Jan 3, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #1,202 of 1,447
Thinking about getting dx320 Max Ti as an upgrade to my dx300 with amp 11 mk.1 How would you describe the differences? Another contender is A&K sp300 and 3000 model.

Use case are mainly large overears like totl ZMF lineup, especially Atrium Closed for mobile use.
I've had Amp11 Mk 2, rather than Mk1, so I can't strictly speak on a comparison between 320Max and the latter. I first got DX300 Max to replace the DX300 Amp11.2. The difference already was obvious, especially in bass impact, general weight note, channel separation. Tbh, I was never quite satisfied with the Amp 11.2, even after burn-in, it sounded almost "thinner" than my old PD2. But that's subjective, ok. What I'll say is, I find 320Max to more spot-on, off the box even, than 300Max: dark, controlled, precise, massive weight note, holographic. On DX300 Max, I had to use Neutron tweaking of DSP to achieve better sound than Mango (less warm, more holographic). On DX320Max, this was off the bat with MangoOS. Sorry, I've never owned or listened to A&K, so I can't help there.

Jan 3, 2024 at 2:19 PM Post #1,203 of 1,447
Thanks. The thing is I am rather happy with DX300 Amp11 Mk.1 atm, it’s sure nowwhere close to my desktop holo audio stack but pretty great on longer trips and hotel stays. I am just not sure if it’s worth an upgrade considering Dx320 Max or A&K 2000/3000 will probably still be miles behind a holo may with bliss… and how deminishing the returns upgrading from dx300 in the grand scheme of things will be. Or maybe I am wrong and it’s on pair with totl desktop performance… hm.

Last edited:
Jan 3, 2024 at 2:40 PM Post #1,204 of 1,447
Thanks. The thing is I am rather happy with DX300 Amp11 Mk.1 atm, it’s sure nowwhere close to my desktop holo audio stack but pretty great on longer trips and hotel stays. I am just not sure if it’s worth an upgrade considering Dx320 Max or A&K 2000/3000 will probably still be miles behind a holo may with bliss… and how deminishing the returns upgrading from dx300 in the grand scheme of things will be. Or maybe I am wrong and it’s on pair with totl desktop performance… hm.
These are valid points and, in truth, ymmv. I used DX300 Max, and now use 320Max, quite as a portable DAP, despite their heft and weight: each have been my steady mobile companions on daily hillwalking forays or longer holidays abroad (inside a small rucksack on my back). I never batted an eyelid about taking them places, but I am aware others bulk at their size and would prefer a more pocket-sized DAP. To which I say, "fair enough". As for a TOTL desktop stack, I don't have any, so can't say whether 320Max is anywhere near that level. All I'll say is that, to me, 300Max was a clear step up from DX300 Amp11.2 and 320Max is a (less clear, but still perceptible) step up from 300Max. Whether this justifies, in your eyes, paying nearly triple the price (so yes, probably non-linear auditory gains) is a question for you my friend.

Jan 3, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #1,205 of 1,447
despite being one the few best DAPs out there (for my sound preference it is the best) yes, it is miles behind a TOTL desktop setup. when i listen to my desktop setup, i still have my jaw dropped and it wows me.

that said, 320max is the closest you can get to a great desktop sound as far as i know.

a bit bulky but worth the hassle. i can pocket it with care.

Jan 4, 2024 at 4:03 AM Post #1,206 of 1,447
despite being one the few best DAPs out there (for my sound preference it is the best) yes, it is miles behind a TOTL desktop setup. when i listen to my desktop setup, i still have my jaw dropped and it wows me.

that said, 320max is the closest you can get to a great desktop sound as far as i know.

a bit bulky but worth the hassle. i can pocket it with care.
You’ve answered to one of the main questions I was wondering about: whether buying the 320 max, or go for the Questyle cma15 or the Ifi dsd signature, to pair with the Stellia. I’m quite content with my dx300 for now, but I feel that the Stellia could be taken a bit further …
if anyone would care to comment… questyle or idsd ?? 🙂
cheers

Jan 4, 2024 at 7:12 AM Post #1,207 of 1,447
Got a great offer for the beautiful titanium cast DX320 X, smaller, sleeker, over 2,5k cheaper, rollable amps. Choices🤷‍♂️

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #1,208 of 1,447
Got a great offer for the beautiful titanium cast DX320 X, smaller, sleeker, over 2,5k cheaper, rollable amps. Choices🤷‍♂️
I have got both units and while the X has it own merits, I don’t use it as much, because 320M just always take the spot

Endgame doesn’t have to be complicated, even if you are using full sizes

I only have 2 full sizes after my long journey down the rabbit holes

MDR Z1R: This one is modified with pure solid gold and Dekoni hybrid pads, FiiO silver Litz cables. Oyaide Rhodium - Silver plated 3.5mm sockets

HD800S: This one is also modified with pure solid gold and FiiO silver Litz external cables

Stock Dx320Max Titanium, not even a screw was turned

IMG_1527.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 11:29 AM Post #1,209 of 1,447
I have got both units and while the X has it own merits, I don’t use it as much, because 320M just always take the spot

Endgame doesn’t have to be complicated, even if you are using full sizes

I only have 2 full sizes after my long journey down the rabbit holes

MDR Z1R: This one is modified with pure solid gold and Dekoni hybrid pads, FiiO silver Litz cables. Oyaide Rhodium - Silver plated 3.5mm sockets

HD800S: This one is also modified with pure solid gold and FiiO silver Litz external cables

Stock Dx320Max Titanium, not even a screw was turned

IMG_1527.jpeg
I have some very nice non polar NOS Black Gate caps. Nothing would I touch inside of the DX320MAX. It just has it all.

Jan 4, 2024 at 1:04 PM Post #1,212 of 1,447
I find the discussion here a bit at cross purposes, and I mean no offense. It doesn't make any sense, as great as 320Max is, to be on a par with a TOTL desktop system, purely on real estate comparison, which allows for different circuitry. That's even with Ibasso's innovation being no small feat. So if you want TOTL desktop system sound, you get a TOTL desktop system. I'm not maintaining that the distance is "miles apart", but it makes sense that there must be some. On the other hand, some people in here are satisfied with DX300 Amp11. I'm not saying they shouldn't, that's totally subjective, but having owned one of these, they are definitely not on the same league as the DX320Max, and it's plain for one to hear. Are the gains linear (i.e. triple the price gives triple a sound improvement)? Don't know, wouldn't think so tbh. They are clear and undeniable gains, however. But here, we're comparing portable (transportable for some) DAPs, which have a specific place in one's life and activities. And amongst portable/transportable DAPs at present nothing really bests DX320Max (although I must allow that some other DAPs could be on the same level, as I've only owned Ibasso DAPs to date). So, in my mind, you are not getting a DX320Max to substitute for your need for a TOTL desktop system. If that's what you need, you simply get a TOTL desktop system, if you can afford it. If you are satisfied with a portable DAP that is clearly on a lower level than DX320Max, e.g., cos you can always sit at home and marvel at the sound of your TOTL desktop system, then that's you sorted, no problem. If, on the other hand, you want the best in portable (whether you already have the best in desktop or not), you clearly don't want DX300 Amp11 (and you probably want a DX320Max or something similar).

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #1,213 of 1,447
I find the discussion here a bit at cross purposes, and I mean no offense. It doesn't make any sense, as great as 320Max is, to be on a par with a TOTL desktop system, purely on real estate comparison, which allows for different circuitry. That's even with Ibasso's innovation being no small feat. So if you want a TOTL desktop system sound, you get a TOTL desktop system. I'm not maintaining that the distance is "miles apart", but it makes sense that there must be some. On the other hand, some people in here are satisfied with DX300 Amp11. I'm not saying they shouldn't, that's totally subjective, but having owned one of these, they are definitely not on the same league as the DX320Max, and it's plain for one to hear. Are the gains linear (i.e. triple the price gives triple a sound improvement)? Don't know, wouldn't think so tbh. They are clear and undeniable gains, however. But here, we're comparing portable (transportable for some) DAPs, which have a specific place in one's life and activities. And amongst portable/transportable DAPs at present nothing really bests DX320Max (although I must allow that some other DAPs could be on the same level, as I've only owned Ibasso DAPs to date). So, in my mind, you are not getting a DX320Max to substitute for your need for a TOTL desktop system. If that's what you need, you simply get a TOTL desktop system, if you can afford it. If you are satisfied with a portable DAP that is clearly on a lower level than DX320Max, e.g., cos you can always sit at home and marvel at the sound of your TOTL desktop system, then that's you sorted, no problem. If, on the other hand, you want the best in portable (whether you already have the best in desktop or not), you clearly don't want DX300 Amp11 (and you probably want a DX320Max or something similar).
where do i sign ?

Jan 4, 2024 at 2:49 PM Post #1,214 of 1,447
new battery arrived, and already installed.

i’m not a great tinkerer but it was a simple process. that said, it wasn’t all too smooth.

first off, removing the old battery took quite a bit of force. they are in place with double sided tapes and i think in time they adhered really strongly. i could only manage to do it in many pieces rendering the removed battery as garbage. i think it would have been wiser to heat the back plate up carefully with hairdryer to loosen up the tapes before pulling

extra care is necessary removing the last layer where its taped to back plate. the dark gray matte glass finish can easily get damaged from the inside due to excessive pull from the tapes !

placing the new battery pack, attention must be paid for alignment. too much over to one side, the wire bundle that crosses may create bulging and back plate won’t fit flush at middle.

if there’s a second set of hands available, ask for it. makes the job easier.

took about, 20-25 minutes.

i wanted to share my experience for folks who intend to tinker themselves.

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #1,215 of 1,447
To remove the battery ? You just need a correct tool

1/ some isopropyl alcohol and a dripping tool. Once taken out clean and away from the main body. Take it out , and start dripping alcohol around and along the bottom of the battery packs

2/ A large plastic plier that usually come with smartphone repair kits

Just keep dripping alcohol in, wait for a few minutes and repeat a few times, it should come off pretty easy. These packs are not meant to be deformed or punctured, fire and explosions may happen otherwise

Users who are viewing this thread

Back