DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Dec 25, 2023 at 4:53 AM Post #1,126 of 1,447
Received my DX Max 300 as my early Xmax present. So far I’ve been pretty disappointed. The UI is sloppy and after running through my IEMs it is probably the last DAP i would pull out to listen to. I’m try this with ZMF pairings tomorrow. Maybe I’m just in a cranky mood but I was expecting something special
I'd be interested to find out what your complaints sound-wise are specificaly. As a previous owner of the DX300Max, I remember they sounded somewhat "flat" or "tinny" out of the box, bass was fast but lacked punch, resolving but no great weight on the note. 100-150hrs of listen later, it was a completely different animal. As for the 320Max, it was "wow" out of the box pretty much, already that good! I can imagine somebody might prefer another sound signature from among all the DAPs out there, but I cannot think anybody might be find them "disappointing". I'm using iems exclusively, no cans. As for "sloppy UI", what problems is it you are referring to?

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:21 AM Post #1,127 of 1,447
UI..I don’t know where I am in the UI, very difficult to navigate, designed by engineers for engineers. Worst implementation of android I’ve seen. Sound signature is cold, sharp,and flat. Note weight thinner than I expect, poor timbre. Again, just my initial take.

Dec 25, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #1,128 of 1,447
UI..I don’t know where I am in the UI, very difficult to navigate, designed by engineers for engineers. Worst implementation of android I’ve seen. Sound signature is cold, sharp,and flat. Note weight thinner than I expect, poor timbre. Again, just my initial take.
I don’t know if you’re talking about 300max or 320max, but the Android Interface implementation in the 320Max is pretty much the same as it is on my N30LE as far as functionality as speed. No difference.

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:12 AM Post #1,129 of 1,447
For UI alone, nothing can beat the newest Smartphone, and a dongle

Sound performances ? It depends on your experiences and preferences. However, for any experienced user, if Dx320Max doesn’t cut it, I doubt any other portable players aka DAP, would do

Now, I am curious as of what is your best of choice when it comes to something that would make you initially dislike the Dx320Max

Dec 25, 2023 at 7:27 AM Post #1,130 of 1,447
For UI alone, nothing can beat the newest Smartphone, and a dongle

Sound performances ? It depends on your experiences and preferences. However, for any experienced user, if Dx320Max doesn’t cut it, I doubt any other portable players aka DAP, would do

Now, I am curious as of what is your best of choice when it comes to something that would make you initially dislike the Dx320Max
From what @tfenton02 is describing, it sounds more like an impression of an out of the box 300Max, than 320Max (I know this is the 320Max thread, but people have misposted before). Of course, even back then, when I first listened to the 300Max, it was clear to me it was going to be a special DAP given burn-in (resolution, imaging and separation, soundstage, were all TOTL level), but it's true it sounded a bit "thin" on the note, a bit "metallic". As for UI, I don't use smartphones (yep, I'm one of those fossils for whom smartphones never held a special appeal), but on 300Max (where I used the Android OS mainly, because of Neutron) the implementation was, if not state-of-the art, certainly glitch-free. When buying a DAP, even a TOTL, you're not expecting mind-blowing UI, just a well-functioning one. Circuit space is mostly dedicated to DAC and amp sections.

Dec 26, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #1,131 of 1,447
i know that some people have this drainage and some don’t at all. i ordered a new battery from ibasso, and i will do a proper cycling once it arrives (full charge then complete discharge). then i will not charge it over 80% unless i’m going out.

i did my burn-in plugged in to AC all the time and perhaps somehow destabilized the battery.

new battery will have 90day warranty.

i’ll post my findings with the new battery once it arrives.

I have now tested my unit over the last 4 days. It has the latest firmware installed and the battery limit set to 80%. I charged it to the 80% limit, switched it off then turned it on each day, at the same time, for long enough to note the battery level then switched it off again. Here are the results:

Start: 80% battery.
After 1 day: 68% battery
After 2 days: 56% battery
After 3 days: 55% battery
After 4 days: 29% battery

It has been like this since I bought the unit and clearly there is a problem and as it stands it is close to useless (several times I have prepared to listen with it only to find it had little or no remaining battery).

I'll deal directly with basso and see what can be done.

Dec 26, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #1,132 of 1,447
i know that some people have this drainage and some don’t at all. i ordered a new battery from ibasso, and i will do a proper cycling once it arrives (full charge then complete discharge). then i will not charge it over 80% unless i’m going out.

i did my burn-in plugged in to AC all the time and perhaps somehow destabilized the battery.

new battery will have 90day warranty.

i’ll post my findings with the new battery once it arrives.
I have now tested my unit over the last 4 days. It has the latest firmware installed and the battery limit set to 80%. I charged it to the 80% limit, switched it off then turned it on each day, at the same time, for long enough to note the battery level then switched it off again. Here are the results:

It has been like this since I bought the unit and clearly there is a problem and as it stands it is close to useless (several times I have prepared to listen with it only to find it had little or no remaining battery).

pv815

Head-Fier​

I would be interested in any additional info you may get from Ibasso as I believe like myself there are others here with similar issue.

For myself this appears to be happening as well with the analog battery and % reduction daily even when turned off both batteries see significant reduction.

For example I will use my Fiio M11 pro and it having been turned off for more than 3 months and the battery percentage was still sitting at 86% and I am sure it was not 100% when I turned it off.

I can only summize that if it is not a failing battery it is almost like a short that may be depleting battery but I hope iBasso can suggest a solution because this is a silly problem for a device such as this.

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 1:22 PM Post #1,133 of 1,447

pv815

Head-Fier​

I would be interested in any additional info you may get from Ibasso as I believe like myself there are others here with similar issue.

For myself this appears to be happening as well with the analog battery and % reduction daily even when turned off both batteries see significant reduction.

For example I will use my Fiio M11 pro and it having been turned off for more than 3 months and the battery percentage was still sitting at 86% and I am sure it was not 100% when I turned it off.

I can only summize that if it is not a failing battery it is almost like a short that may be depleting battery but I hope iBasso can suggest a solution because this is a silly problem for a device such as this.

I will keep you and this thread updated once I have heard back from iBasso. I agree that this simply should not be an issue for such a device and hopefully there can be a straightforward solution.

Dec 26, 2023 at 1:58 PM Post #1,134 of 1,447
I am sorry to hear that you have Battery issues. I hope you get it shorted out soon

After owning Dx320Max Ti for a while since it first date of release. I have always been loving the unit. After all that I have been through and gone through, I couldnt find anything to outperforming this little power house with such performances

First thing first, it is Titanium baby !!!! Titanium !!! Yes, many people google it up and think that it is "Cheap to make", and it is an Abundant resources, which is true. But I will have to clarify this. Titanium is not cheap to make. A good quality Titanium is not easy to make, and there are only a couple countries on the world that truly own the patents, rights to produce it. It is very desirable in Space technology, including Missiles, ICBM, Space Station, to Fighter Jets, but because it is so very expensive to make and to fabricate, you dont typically see it everywhere.

Since then, Titanium is known to be a Luxury level of Materials. Yes, everything that is made from Titanium will carry a hefty price tag to it name. Ibasso, as a small Audio company in comparison to other bigger brands, in my opinion, is the most enthusiastic about producing something that will last, innovative, that is totally dedicated to music. Ibasso was the very first company out of the bunch to have produced a "Pure Titanium chassis" it was back all the way to Dx200Titanium. Yet, was still very competitive toward other products. As the Brand stand, it doesn't generate much noises, and was easily lost during the influxes of supplies and new products from competitors. However, Ibasso kept on with it, and later on we had DX300Max Titanium, Dx300 edition X as a whole new Liquid formed Titanium, and then Dx320Max Titanium.

So, for all that said, how is the sound quality ? what is the differences ? why Fancy with luxurious materials ? why does it matter ?

From my experiences, Titanium VS the other materials for Chassis always have the differences that I found, better clarity, more high extensions, better textures vividity. This was back when I did extensive comparison between 200 and 200Ti. It does stand similary even for 300max and 300Max Ti. But in contrast, the body density is thinner, which trades off for the airiness that you get. Ibasso received the feedbacks, and always strive to improve it further.

At this moment, we have Dx320Max Ti, which, as a crazy DIY modder myself, I have found Zero reason. Absolutely Zero reason to Tinker with this DX320Max Titanium. This Zero desire to open it up, and peak inside, and or modifying it, has always been with me since I opened the box, listened to the little monster.

Yes, I know burn in, and I also was readily to accept it burn in to change, to may be to the point where I may need to break out my Iron, my madness to start tinkering and tweaking ? The answer is that, Nope, It has always been improving, and become more lovely every month passed by, to the point that nowadays, I am just gravitated toward it, like a moth drawn toward a flame.

I had a cousin who visited me, an engineer working for Rolls Royce, took a quick listen. He isnt into music, but he enjoy listening to it, not in a way that I do, but as a casual listener, he was stunned at the level of clarity, airiness, spaciousness. It didnt trigger him to follow the path that I am following, as his hobby is something else, related toward Space Science. Therefore, I took the chance and asked him about Titanium as a material. I was confirmed that Titanium is indeed a very hard and very expensive to use. That the fact of this little monster is using Pure Titanium, surprised him, he was entertained by it.

Now, back to the sound quality of Dx320Max, The Body tonality is so accurately spotted on! Thick, Dense, Punchy, still very well controlled. It yields an amazing spaciousness, Dynamic feelings, together with amazing depth, wide staging. It doesnt have the Vertical axis presentation that is exaggerated as some Sony walkmans and it products. I enjoy it being this way as it is more realistic to me in a perspective of being there, in the concert theater enjoying a live performances up on the stages. Once it is perceived this way, everything else just started falling into place, logically so. From the well controlled Dynamic an amazing detailed clarity, it is very easy to have great imagines of different instruments coming from all over the stage, in different directions, positions, even if it is just a bit deeper and behind, or more frontal, a little to the side ? You call it, you will be able to tell each instruments so clearly, it positions, it harmonic contents, and what it is trying to tell you. Matter of fact is that, this Portable player is the only that I can eagerly be following one specific instruments in the bunch, trailing it, and get lost in the moment enjoying the whole musical presentation, then refocused right away and onto this specific instrument. It is very unique, in a sense that I would brand it for being The best portable music Player at the moment in my own experiences

Before you get all so excited with all the Best performer, Best presentation of a portable, allow me to make a very very important impression. The pairing and matching will matter a lot. I am using it to pair with my Sennheiser HD800s. Many people call it being too neutral, too bright, artificial staging....etc.... you name it. But I have came and gone through different systems, including the most revered DIY projects of Stax amplifiers, DAC, Tube amps, Dynamic amp, of all kinds....I will have to say that this HD800s is down right Legendary, with the right pairing which has enough Power to drive it correctly. Sadly, there are not many players that can do it this amazingly, the way the Dx320Max Titanium do. I call DX320Max Titanium to be the best, pairing with this Full Size Headphones. Now, I do pair this Dx320Max Ti to my IER Z1R, my MDR Z1R, and it changes vastly, which again will depend on your preferences. Therefore, do keep in mind that what is the best for my preferences, is not necessarily your. This is why the hobby is so enjoyable. Also, using In ears, the 320Max may be too over power, too loud, that you may find yourself having a hard time adjusting the volume output. If you are an in ear fan, please Demo it as much as possible before laying down your cash, and for full size ? you wont find any other that can outperforming Dx320Max Ti technically, but personally is a different matter.

Now, I am always curious, and Fancying myself an answer, to what and how such achievements were achieved !!! I am an electronic lover, tinkerer at heart. So, before I jump into something like this, I always try to find what innovative elements, piece of technologies, that I should be pulling out my wallet for. The 320Max was said to be Titanium, with Polystyrene film capacitors, Analog stepped attenuator, Analog gain functions, 4X ROHM Flagship DAC chips and with 16X Oversampling, Super Class A amplifications, Dedicated battery packs which is 5 packs, with 2x2 packs for both L/R channel which takes 4 packs in total, together with a huge pack for DAC digital processor and conversions itself.

Just like any other modern Ibasso products, it sports DUAL operation sysems, and Android OS and MagoOS. You can have 16x MQA using Android OS, and Mango OS is dedicated toward the original files sample rates, without any influences from external factors, such as MQA. So, no MQA in MangoOS

The dedicated batteries require 2 separated chargers, a 12V standard barrel DC, and a USB C charger. The 12V is for Amplifier and USB C is for DAC/digital charger. I bought myself a powerbank and a USB-12VDC cable to take care of this job

One huge Fact that surprises me is how IBASSO is implementing ROHM Chips 4X this way, and up to this moment, may be perhaps is the only player to use 4x without cooking you a dinner due to generated heat. The very first player that brought love from the ROHM to me was Cayin N8ii. I love it performances, but the C9 always feel dangerously hot!! When Ibasso mentioned about 320Max, I was head over heels with it. I was expecting it to be possibly only heating up about 80% of the C9 for the best scenarios. But no!! using Ultimate mode, all 4 chips, and it is heating up just about 20-30% of what a C9 would do. It is so very cool to the touch, and totally comfortable to wrap it in on the bed with you!! Amazing little monster!!

I can now enjoy my 800S with desktop satisfaction, right on my bed, with the signatures and references, preferences that I love, with nothing to worry about.

Turning the volume knob of stepped attenuations may give people a mixed feeling, the people who is familiar with it, love it!!! I love it, with every knot, is a precise volume adjustment, not in the loudness but in the performances, no oddities of imagines, textures, or positioning shifts, collapsed staging due to very slight channel imbalances. Everything is so Linearly adjusted, it is Amazing!!! though, it may be curiously so that at some step, a channel may be cutoff. This is due to the physics of the attenuator! It has to take steps before it can fit into it designated grooves. Because it is to very little, it results in this, but it isnt a defect, it is how it works. Just keep turning and once it get to the grooves, it works!

Not to mention that using Analog attenuator, we lose Zero bits from the conversion of digital info, and digital attenuations. Even if it was electronically an analog volume with electrical values to allow you to adjust it freely, and smoothly, your signal chains are still not as direct, as pure, as original and as straight forward as Stepped analog attenuator. Simply saying that, Stepped attenuator is the Best for Precise adjustments!! Who would have thought that we may have it in a pocketable player ? I couldnt eve dare dreaming of it. Yet, here it is, by Ibasso!!!

The same as Digital gain being done by the DAC chips itself as a feature. It is best to have analog gain rather than the digital gain, and here it is, cramped on into DX320 MAX, an amazing Device. I have got many repeated question about which is the best to use. After using it for a while, I love the lowest gain !!! previously, out of the box, I enjoyed 2nd gain, as I found that it had the best Dynamic to staging performances and 1st was a little lacking. Not anymore, and if you asked me from when I had that impressions ? It started around 600+ hours.

I was about not to keep writing follow up review or a "long term" review, but the Dx320Max deserves everything that I posted about!!

Thanks for sparing your time and read through my wall of texts

PS: That back plate with easily replaceable battery packs ? it is more than a winner in my book as well

Last edited:
Dec 26, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #1,135 of 1,447
I have also seen my battery drain to almost nothing over a week of not using it. I was out travel and came back and the digital battery was dead. Analog battery was basically fully charged. While this isn't normally a huge issue since I use it everyday and its charged over night, it is a little bit of a strange behavior.

Dec 27, 2023 at 3:46 AM Post #1,136 of 1,447
I noticed that after updating the firmware something must have been stuck in the operating system that caused the battery to drain faster. I did a factory reset and installed only what was necessary, Qobuz, UAPP and seems to be solved.

Regarding the drain being turned off, I haven't turned my new unit off since I received it for fear that it won't turn back on :S.

In my opinion, is clear is that these units seems to have a problem with the battery. I think that if the drain is with the unit turned off, it must be hardware related.

What happened to me I suppose is the most extreme case that can happen, I hope they can examine my defective unit to find the problem and be able to provide a solution to those who experience any anomaly with the battery.

Edit:
Call me paranoid but there is one thing I keep quarantined because I suspect it may affect battery performance or cause strange behavior. This is the battery care option (charge only up to 80%). I have it disabled.
On the other hand, it seems very strange to me that the analog part does not charge up to 80%, Ibasso says that it does but it says 100% (which at the software level is a bummer), in my opinion the performance of the analog battery is the same as if it were charged to 100%, so I think it charges the digital part up to 80% and the analog part up to 100%.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back