DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Sep 30, 2023 at 2:05 AM Post #916 of 1,457
Chassis alone

iPhone Pro not so Pro

Ibasso Max, is absolutely A master piece

100% agree with this statement, both parts. i think iph has ti chassis yet the coating killed it all. also why in the world you put a fragile glass on the back that “looks like” ti…. i generally don’t board the hype train in apple stuff. but this time i’m fooled. contemplating even returning…

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2023 at 8:09 AM Post #917 of 1,457
100% agree with this statement, both parts. i think iph has ti chassis yet the coating killed it all. also why in the world you put a fragile glass on the back that “looks like” ti…. i generally don’t board the hype train in apple stuff. but this time i’m fooled. contemplating even returning…
Iphones has etched titanium chassis. The main frame is aluminum and melded with titanium, then coated with color. It is about 1mm thick lol
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2023/09/apple-iphone-15-pro-max-titanium-teardown

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:04 PM Post #918 of 1,457
Iphones has etched titanium chassis. The main frame is aluminum and melded with titanium, then coated with color. It is about 1mm thick lol
https://www.androidheadlines.com/2023/09/apple-iphone-15-pro-max-titanium-teardown

Hmm Ti and Al aren't really galvanically compatible. Hope they have some sort of coating on that aluminum, or done their durability testing. (While Ti is more resistant to corrosion, aluminum is more susceptible to it with Ti at the interface). I guess if its on the inside, you won't see it anyway. (also if moisture isnt able to get into that interface then it wont matter either...)

This is to improve signal strength and enable wireless charging. More metal = more EMI shielding which is bad for your radios.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #919 of 1,457
Hmm Ti and Al aren't really galvanically compatible. Hope they have some sort of coating on that aluminum, or done their durability testing. (While Ti is more resistant to corrosion, aluminum is more susceptible to it with Ti at the interface). I guess if its on the inside, you won't see it anyway. (also if moisture isnt able to get into that interface then it wont matter either...)

This is to improve signal strength and enable wireless charging. More metal = more EMI shielding which is bad for your radios.
Pure aluminum is pretty resistant to corrosion but they often combine aluminum with other things, which is why it will pit etc. Leica used to make tripods of pure aluminum and to show their durability, they left on in salt water for a long time. No anodizing etc.

Sep 30, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #920 of 1,457
Pure aluminum is pretty resistant to corrosion but they often combine aluminum with other things, which is why it will pit etc. Leica used to make tripods of pure aluminum and to show their durability, they left on in salt water for a long time. No anodizing etc.

Ya aluminum does a good job of protecting itself by creating an oxide layer when it corrodes and it normally doesnt attack much more since it creates its own barrier. The problem is that barrier changes the interface and things that were meant to adhere to it may not anymore. I'm probably over-thinking this case either way. :)

Oct 2, 2023 at 3:09 AM Post #921 of 1,457
I use my MAX constantly in DAC mode. As soon as my MacBook shuts down it, it switches into the DAP mode again. The problem is, that it will be charged now. Is there an option to stay in the DAC mode, because there is no charging, only a data connection? I don't want to charge the MAX all the time. Is anyone familiar with this? And is there any influence of charging the battery with MTP function turned on?

THANKS 🙏🏻

Oct 2, 2023 at 11:28 PM Post #922 of 1,457
Did anyone with a 320MAX try it with Mass Kobo amps at CanJam? What were your impressions? Especially if you used it with Storm.

I have impressions from someone else and they match my own, I want to see if other people's experiences corroborate.

Oct 3, 2023 at 7:01 AM Post #923 of 1,457
Did anyone with a 320MAX try it with Mass Kobo amps at CanJam? What were your impressions? Especially if you used it with Storm.

I have impressions from someone else and they match my own, I want to see if other people's experiences corroborate.
Don’t know about kobo, but I use mine all the time with my desktop amp, and it simply is a top tier DAC that replaces even desktop DAC

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:30 PM Post #924 of 1,457
Hi All. Can someone explain what the purpose is of the dac volume? Is it to give you more headroom flexibility when choosing an appropriate gain for your hp/iem. Also any guidance on the 4 gain settings? Surely 1 is for sensitive iem like CFA and 4 for difficult to drive HP, but what about 2 and 3 ? Couldn’t find any info in the user manual. Thanks in advance.

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #925 of 1,457
From my findings, the gains is directly effecting DAC output, and since it is a Current output, it can affect different Amplifier differently.

When I connect to my Desktop Amp, it was best to use Gain IV. I have had the most staging, layering, details than the rest

When I use directly, it is best to be on Gain III as I drive HD800S and have found the best compromises between Dynamic delivery and stagings

When I need it to drive In Ears such as IEM, I put it back to Gain I to have the best Dynamic and volume adjustment as possible.

Also when I need to use Gain II is where I want to see the battery from DAC/Analog to be as closely drained as possible with my 800S. Also has more staging but less dynamism

Now, onto the DAC volume. I found that If I switched on DSD Volume matching, it has Zero effects and particularly greyed out in MangoOS. Eventhough I am playing PCM at the time . It also doesn’t offer all the adjustable range that you could have had, but more like within 20%.

Also, DSD Filters do effect both PCM and DSD alike, and it is Best to be on High as I found better textures, extensions, imagines

Oct 3, 2023 at 5:59 PM Post #926 of 1,457
From my findings, the gains is directly effecting DAC output, and since it is a Current output, it can affect different Amplifier differently.

When I connect to my Desktop Amp, it was best to use Gain IV. I have had the most staging, layering, details than the rest

When I use directly, it is best to be on Gain III as I drive HD800S and have found the best compromises between Dynamic delivery and stagings

When I need it to drive In Ears such as IEM, I put it back to Gain I to have the best Dynamic and volume adjustment as possible.

Also when I need to use Gain II is where I want to see the battery from DAC/Analog to be as closely drained as possible with my 800S. Also has more staging but less dynamism

Now, onto the DAC volume. I found that If I switched on DSD Volume matching, it has Zero effects and particularly greyed out in MangoOS. Eventhough I am playing PCM at the time . It also doesn’t offer all the adjustable range that you could have had, but more like within 20%.

Also, DSD Filters do effect both PCM and DSD alike, and it is Best to be on High as I found better textures, extensions, imagines
Thanks a lot for the insights :).

Oct 4, 2023 at 4:01 AM Post #927 of 1,457
Does anyone know if there’s a way to use custom wallpapers on MangoOS? I don’t find either of the three included particularly easy to look at as background when scrolling through lists. Solid colors would be my preference, if possible.

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:40 AM Post #928 of 1,457
Does anyone know if there’s a way to use custom wallpapers on MangoOS? I don’t find either of the three included particularly easy to look at as background when scrolling through lists. Solid colors would be my preference, if possible.
+1

how do i use MAX as my source/player only connected to an external dac + amp via usb ? any particular mode needs to be selected ? i’m guessing i need to be in the usb dac mode but still wanted to reconfirm.

Oct 4, 2023 at 5:47 AM Post #929 of 1,457
+1

how do i use MAX as my source/player only connected to an external dac + amp via usb ? any particular mode needs to be selected ? i’m guessing i need to be in the usb dac mode but still wanted to reconfirm.
Usb DAC mode is using max as a DAC connecting to a PC.

using Max as a source, you can use Coax out, or simply plugging in USB C into a DAC and play away

Oct 4, 2023 at 6:33 AM Post #930 of 1,457
+1

Without any prejudice to anybody's preferences (incl. yours, of course), it looks to me like the DX320 Max is a high-end, desktop-level, DAC device at the very least. If anything might be wanting in performance, it would be the amp leg, where real estate constraints, despite the ingeniousness of iBasso's topology and high-quality of components used, might mean desktop amps have a clear edge (esp. for headphones where the extra amplification mile could make a difference). Connecting the DX320 Max, therefore, to a high-end, dedicated external amp makes good sense to me, but why would you want to bypass the Rohm DACs altogether?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back