DX320MAX Ti The musical event worth the wait. ROHM X 4. !! NEW Firmware: 2.03 !!
Oct 4, 2023 at 6:41 AM Post #931 of 1,457
Without any prejudice to anybody's preferences (incl. yours, of course), it looks to me like the DX320 Max is a high-end, desktop-level, DAC device at the very least. If anything might be wanting in performance, it would be the amp leg, where real estate constraints, despite the ingeniousness of iBasso's topology and high-quality of components used, might mean desktop amps have a clear edge (esp. for headphones where the extra amplification mile could make a difference). Connecting the DX320 Max, therefore, to a high-end, dedicated external amp makes good sense to me, but why would you want to bypass the Rohm DACs altogether?
The sole reasons why I love 320max is the 4x ROHMS :)
the next reason is the stepped attenuators! Just amazing.

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:21 AM Post #932 of 1,457
Without any prejudice to anybody's preferences (incl. yours, of course), it looks to me like the DX320 Max is a high-end, desktop-level, DAC device at the very least. If anything might be wanting in performance, it would be the amp leg, where real estate constraints, despite the ingeniousness of iBasso's topology and high-quality of components used, might mean desktop amps have a clear edge (esp. for headphones where the extra amplification mile could make a difference). Connecting the DX320 Max, therefore, to a high-end, dedicated external amp makes good sense to me, but why would you want to bypass the Rohm DACs altogether?
i’m not bypassing anything max has to offer. it is my portable standalone setup, and i really enjoy what i’m hearing so far.
i also find stepped attenuator very much fun to play with.

i read in one of the previous posts to try lowest gain with max volume but it’s gets too loud even with storm.

with the dedicated dac and amp and cables etc. i wanted to bring it all up to a summit level (for me) to see in my own comfort zone how much of a difference there will be. i might have bypassed some steps and leaped higher, but i believe this way i saved myself lots of unnecessary buy/sell and eventually money.

initially, i intend to use storm only as my monitors to see where it could go with a great desktop setup and if it was worth it. then i may add one and done type of hp on to the chain.

it is perhaps my character defect to take things to a point where i might regret. but hey, i am who i am (for the past half century) and that is that 🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2023 at 8:31 AM Post #933 of 1,457
i’m not bypassing anything max has to offer. it is my portable standalone setup, and i really enjoy what i’m hearing so far.
i also find stepped attenuator very much fun to play with.

i read in one of the previous posts to try lowest gain with max volume but it’s gets too loud even with storm.

with the dedicated dac and amp and cables etc. i wanted to bring it all up to a summit level (for me) to see in my own comfort zone how much of a difference there will be. i might have bypassed some steps and leaped higher, but i believe this way i saved myself lots of unnecessary buy/sell and eventually money.

initially, i intend to use storm only as my monitors to see where it could go with a great desktop setup and if it was worth it. then i may add one and done type of hp on to the chain.

it is perhaps my character defect to take things to a point where i might regret. but hey, i am who i am (for the past half century) and that is that 🤷🏻‍♂️
You are using Phones out, and that is why you are able to adjust the attenuator

Toggle Line Out, the gain is on the DAC side, it will be effected, but the volume pot will not do anything as it is now bypassing internal amplifier

Oct 4, 2023 at 11:58 AM Post #934 of 1,457
You are using Phones out, and that is why you are able to adjust the attenuator

Toggle Line Out, the gain is on the DAC side, it will be effected, but the volume pot will not do anything as it is now bypassing internal amplifier
this way aren’t you cancelling the whole amplification ? i was trying to bypass resistors on the attenuator only.

Oct 4, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #937 of 1,457
i apologize for the confusion, i thought you were responding to my comment about @voja ‘s post regarding trying out max volume (no resistors) with lower gain setting.

dac part is now clear 👍🏼. thank you 🙏🏼
Ohh, my bad, I completely missed this!

Yeah, pretty much the only way you can bypass the stepped attenuator resistors is by maxing out the volume wheel. If your headphones/earphones are too sensitive to go to Gain 1 + max volume wheel, it's just very unlucky. After all, it's the MAX series with the max. power output. To get a completely unrestricted signal path, you'd have to have both the gain and the stepped attenuator maxed out.

However, I recommend to ALL DX320MAX owners to lower the gain and max out the volume wheel. It makes a huge difference, and I know it's a different way of using volume control, as you typically increase the gain when the volume is at ~80%, but try it out (if your headphones/IEMs allow for it). It's been I don't know how many times that I've tried this maxing out stepped attenuator method, and after putting it to the test so many times, I am 100% certain that it makes a great audible difference.

Oct 5, 2023 at 9:52 AM Post #938 of 1,457
That's the thing, though. On the 300Max, I really liked the blue colour of the case. This one, nope, sorry, not my cup of tea at all! Hence I got the black smooth Valentinum. I know it's just an aesthetic thing, but it's a thing to me anyways, can't help it. I also think that magnets generally used in such cases are extremely weak and, since Valentinum supplies cases for a wide range of high-spec DAPs which are well-sold, if any adverse effects had been observed people wouldn't buy them. The latter point I can't prove, of course, it's more like common sense. So I'm not saying your cautioning is invalid. So, we'll see.
Is is super easy to get leather dye and change the color of the leather. Very easy.
Yeah, be careful with that. The case is pleather as I came to discover. Leather dye doesn't absorb well, and I'm about 20 wet paper towels into wiping the excess dye off that didn't adhere. I might have wasted the case but I'm still working on it. There may be some kind of paint you can use that I don't know about, I suppose, but I'd prefer the case not just be painted so..............it was worth a try.

Oct 5, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #940 of 1,457
Yeah, be careful with that. The case is pleather as I came to discover. Leather dye doesn't absorb well, and I'm about 20 wet paper towels into wiping the excess dye off that didn't adhere. I might have wasted the case but I'm still working on it. There may be some kind of paint you can use that I don't know about, I suppose, but I'd prefer the case not just be painted so..............it was worth a try.
Wasn't going to do it, in any case, but thank you for the heads-up. As a rule, I'm keeping the case as in original state (for potential future resale), and on this occasion bought myself a really lovely black leather case from Valentinum.

Oct 5, 2023 at 12:00 PM Post #941 of 1,457
Wasn't going to do it, in any case, but thank you for the heads-up. As a rule, I'm keeping the case as in original state (for potential future resale), and on this occasion bought myself a really lovely black leather case from Valentinum.
I bought myself a fabric camouflage valentinum too…if I can’t make it smaller at least I can make it hidden in the environment! 🤣

Attachments

• IMG_0382.jpeg
    IMG_0382.jpeg
    932.7 KB · Views: 0
Oct 5, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #942 of 1,457
I thought I saw Ibasso stating that the case was made by Genuine leather and vegan dyes ? could be wrong
It probably is leather, but it had to have been treated with some sort of water resistor. My experiment is over. Final product, actually turned out well. Still not sure about water fastness, but I don't intend to ever get it wet! Also treated it with a water proof/leather conditioner. Probably wouldn't advise for humid climates, but my climate is typically dry as a bone.

iBasso DX320 Max Ti case.jpg

Oct 5, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #943 of 1,457
It probably is leather, but it had to have been treated with some sort of water resistor. My experiment is over. Final product, actually turned out well. Still not sure about water fastness, but I don't intend to ever get it wet! Also treated it with a water proof/leather conditioner. Probably wouldn't advise for humid climates, but my climate is typically dry as a bone.

iBasso DX320 Max Ti case.jpg
Wow nice !!! More pictures please!!! I am always fascinated by DIY results

Oct 5, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #944 of 1,457
This looks great!!

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:16 PM Post #945 of 1,457
On the other hand, Valentium has some pretty nicely made, no slip cases.

IMG-2016.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back