DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Oct 4, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #10,052 of 10,355
Can the digital line out output 5.1 surround FLAC files ?
No, because LO doesn't output digital, rather analog. Having said that, LO, PO, Coax all can output 5.1 but if it is analog it will be upmixed, and not true surround. With digital, it is just the source so yes, and it will also depend on the music app as to whether it is output as 5.1 or not. Neutron, for example, can do this. Any music app that is capable of bit-perfect SHOULD be able to do this, but that will depend on if there is an option to do so rather than automatically downmix it to stereo (because it is normally used for a headphone music app).

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:24 AM Post #10,055 of 10,355
Worked like a charm! Thank you! Great first post and welcome! 👋

Thank you for the welcome.
I've had this machine for a couple of weeks now and this was one of the first settings I tackled.

Anyway, I am very happy with it in pretty much every way. I only use it at home or when I'm traveling somewhere in a hotel. I have it paired with a Focal Radiance at medium gain with a basic amp and the combination sounds amazing.

Oct 5, 2023 at 4:52 AM Post #10,056 of 10,355
I just received my dx320 today. What a fabulous device. Quick question, while burning in with the included cable, is it ok to plug it into the charger to keep it charged while burning in?
yes, no problem :wink:

Oct 5, 2023 at 8:05 AM Post #10,057 of 10,355
While the DX320 with stock amp11mk2s falls within the tier of the best DAPs (while outputting more power than some of them), it is just behind the summit of the tier. While it is already outstanding to be within the tier of the best DAPs given its more affordable price, I do hope I can tweak it to help it reach the summit within the tier. I would appreciate any suggestions, such as firmware version or amp card options (preferably the prior):

It seems to reproduce audio with a not flat, but relatively even frequency response, low distortion, and no noticeable artifacts. It isn't a completely neutral sound though. it's not analytical/clinical but is leaning toward that side. I would like to increase warmth and richness (more organic) here. It places more emphasis on technical qualities like clarity, precision, and detail retrieval and can come across as a bit dry.

It can reproduce subtle details and nuances in soft, complex, or dynamic passages. Good for nuanced listening and imo nothing needs to be changed here as that would complement an organic sound.

It reproduces clear and well-defined attacks and decay for each sound with good clarity and sharpness. It has precise and fast transient reproduction, quick attacks/decays. I am okay with slower decay so I don't mind striking a balance between organic presentation and sharpness and speed if necessary.

Imaging and soundstage are precise.

The contrast between the quietest and loudest passages could use improvement.

Basically, how to make it a bit more relaxed, improve dynamic range, make the spatial presentation a bit less sharp, keep the micro-dynamics the same for a more organic sound.

To clarify, I still want it to have accurate reproduction, so not just turn it into a tube sound. Just a touch more warmth/emotional engagement. If some small tweaks can be made to these aspects, I feel it will gain that extra emotional engagement while still being very technical.

I've forgotten the stock firmware sound, so maybe (hopefully) that could be the simplest/cheapest tweak. If not, maybe some amp cards can improve the dynamic range, etc.?

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2023 at 4:58 AM Post #10,059 of 10,355
While the DX320 with stock amp11mk2s falls within the tier of the best DAPs (while outputting more power than some of them), it is just behind the summit of the tier. While it is already outstanding to be within the tier of the best DAPs given its more affordable price, I do hope I can tweak it to help it reach the summit within the tier. I would appreciate any suggestions, such as firmware version or amp card options (preferably the prior):

It seems to reproduce audio with a not flat, but relatively even frequency response, low distortion, and no noticeable artifacts. It isn't a completely neutral sound though. it's not analytical/clinical but is leaning toward that side. I would like to increase warmth and richness (more organic) here. It places more emphasis on technical qualities like clarity, precision, and detail retrieval and can come across as a bit dry.

I had the same feelings. Decided to install AMP12 and I'm very happy with the results.

Oct 13, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #10,064 of 10,355

Users who are viewing this thread

Back