DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Aug 28, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #9,961 of 10,348
No you are correct! I almost regret selling my DX300. It did not have this issue that I noticed. The only other player I notice a slight change sometimes with firmware was a few Astell & Kerns. Some of those I had had signature changes but minimal to my ears compared to the DX320. The DX320 was noticeable right after using stock amp.
Just about every player I have has had some change in sound with a change in FW, regardless of brand. Sony even stated there was a change on the WM1Z. But I understand that some changes are better than others. I don't think most are intentional.

Aug 28, 2023 at 11:54 AM Post #9,962 of 10,348
Just about every player I have has had some change in sound with a change in FW, regardless of brand. Sony even stated there was a change on the WM1Z. But I understand that some changes are better than others. I don't think most are intentional.

True I don't believe its intentional. I guess its just what it is with the complexity of the circuitry/software. Maybe that's why one hears it this way when released then someone purchase it way later with updated firmware and hear something different.

Sep 1, 2023 at 3:38 AM Post #9,963 of 10,348
Hi all,

I am thinking about buying the DX320. Since I would use it as a mobile player, but also as a desktop DAC for my gamin PC, the following question is very important to me: Has the problem with the delay in USB DAC mode been solved somehow (maybe by newer firmwares), or does the DX320 still have the annoying delay when used as a USB DAC on the PC?

Best regards

Bojan

Sep 1, 2023 at 9:31 AM Post #9,964 of 10,348
Hi all,

I am thinking about buying the DX320. Since I would use it as a mobile player, but also as a desktop DAC for my gamin PC, the following question is very important to me: Has the problem with the delay in USB DAC mode been solved somehow (maybe by newer firmwares), or does the DX320 still have the annoying delay when used as a USB DAC on the PC?

Best regards

Bojan
The DX320 and DX300 still have that delay; though lessened some by FW releases. Point is that there is still a noticeable delay when watching video of any kind. :)

Sep 7, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #9,966 of 10,348
I am a new DX320 owner.

RE the PO and LO ports - every IEM and full size headphone I've tried in the PO port sounds very quiet regardless of how easy or hard they are to drive or what cable termination they have, and with the volume at max 63 they're about the same volume level as using the LO port with the volume at about 30, possibly even less. Also the steps in volume on the PO port seem to be a lot smaller, i.e. the volume difference between 30 and 31 from the PO port is barely noticeable, whilst the same single increment from the LO port is immediately obvious (and it starts to get a bit too loud at low 40s, so way off the maximum 63).

What's going on there? Faulty port(s)? Do I need to change something in the settings? Or is it correct and the PO port isn't meant to get any louder than not-far-off background noise?

I've spent several hours Googling it today and have scoured this thread, but can't find an answer.

Sep 7, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #9,968 of 10,348
I am a new DX320 owner.

RE the PO and LO ports - every IEM and full size headphone I've tried in the PO port sounds very quiet regardless of how easy or hard they are to drive or what cable termination they have, and with the volume at max 63 they're about the same volume level as using the LO port with the volume at about 30, possibly even less. Also the steps in volume on the PO port seem to be a lot smaller, i.e. the volume difference between 30 and 31 from the PO port is barely noticeable, whilst the same single increment from the LO port is immediately obvious (and it starts to get a bit too loud at low 40s, so way off the maximum 63).

What's going on there? Faulty port(s)? Do I need to change something in the settings? Or is it correct and the PO port isn't meant to get any louder than not-far-off background noise?

I've spent several hours Googling it today and have scoured this thread, but can't find an answer.
I suppose I am a bit confused here. If you are talking about the DX320 with the stock Amp11.MII S, then all three ports can be either LO or PO. It is changeable in settings or at the quick settings from the pull-down menu. If this is the case, you need to make sure it is set to PO to get the full amplification from any of the ports (though 2.5mm and 4.4mm should be balanced and have far more power than the 3.5mm SE port).

If your amp card only has 2 4.4mm ports it is PROBABLY the Amp12 card (though it COULD be Amp14 also which has the same layout), then the one on the left (with the unit facing you) is the LO port, and the one on the right is the PO port. Also, if you are using something besides the stock amp card, you will need to update your FW for them to work correctly.

Otherwise you just may have an issue, because this unit can get really loud (especially on easy to drive head gear).

Sep 8, 2023 at 4:20 AM Post #9,969 of 10,348
Thank you for the responses.

@Airsculpture - I've tried every gain setting and it's the same issue.

@samandhi - I'm using an AMP 14 card.

EDIT - it's just me being an idiot. Sorted.

As an unrelated final note, I'm considering investing in an AMP 13 card, as from what I've read the slightly warmer tone might suit my preferences better.

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2023 at 6:17 AM Post #9,970 of 10,348
As an unrelated final note, I'm considering investing in an AMP 13 card, as from what I've read the slightly warmer tone might suit my preferences better.
At the cost of more RFI noise and less power.

I have both. I'm not confident to say the slight increase in "warmth" is worth the quirks. YMMV.

Sep 8, 2023 at 6:35 AM Post #9,971 of 10,348

I have both. I'm not confident to say the slight increase in "warmth" is worth the quirks. YMMV.
Power-wise, it depends what it's going to be paired with. I find AMP13 to be the perfect match for IT07, IT05, and IMR Semper, for example. It's amazing how good they sound together.

Sep 8, 2023 at 7:09 AM Post #9,972 of 10,348

I'm not too concerned about the power as I've got plenty of very easy to drive IEMs and cans. You make a good and valid point about the RFI noise. I did a LOT of reading up on various reviews and comments online about that, and it seems to be a 50/50 split as to how much of a problem it really is. I'm willing to wait around for a second-hand unit on eBay or an open box offer and take the gamble as I don't think it will bother me too much personally.

Sep 8, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #9,973 of 10,348
I'm not too concerned about the power as I've got plenty of very easy to drive IEMs and cans. You make a good and valid point about the RFI noise. I did a LOT of reading up on various reviews and comments online about that, and it seems to be a 50/50 split as to how much of a problem it really is. I'm willing to wait around for a second-hand unit on eBay or an open box offer and take the gamble as I don't think it will bother me too much personally.
Sounds like a good plan.

The only difference that was tangible between amp13 and amp14 was the left sided "low noise" output. That did have a more warm, "tubey" quality to it. However, there isn't much power to drive anything other than efficient iems. If you turn off the 5ghz Wifi band on your router, or better yet turn off Wifi on the DX320, you'll be fine. Full size cans on the low noise output are lacking. The higher power output is okay, but Amp14 is significantly better. In either case, the Nutube delivers tube flavor, but not at the same level as the pencil tubes (JAN6418, 6S31-B).

Sep 8, 2023 at 1:44 PM Post #9,974 of 10,348
Power-wise, it depends what it's going to be paired with. I find AMP13 to be the perfect match for IT07, IT05, and IMR Semper, for example. It's amazing how good they sound together.
I would absolutely agree about the IT-07 being a complete winner with Amp13. The others I have not heard though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back