DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jul 30, 2022 at 11:44 PM Post #5,041 of 10,343
There has to be some that prefer the 300. I know there are at least one or two in this thread that still have the 300 and don't have the 320.
I got to audition the 300 when it first came out. Had one here with me for a little while. I never really liked it. That was with the early amp 11 module. I'm still using my 220.
Yeah, I still have the DX300. Unfortunately, I have not had the opportunity to compare with the DX320, so I cannot argue one's merits against the other at this point. I still also use my DX160.
Ah, I thought had seen you mention that option before so that makes more sense. One has to wonder how many Android 11 settings were even tested or messed with by iBasso. It's an Android setting so I imagine it just came with it because of Android 11. I just updated to 13 Beta on my Pixel and it's no longer an option but it does it by default.

Most Android smartphone makers like to put their unique GUI on there but most, but not all changes are cosmetic. Samsung uses what they call TouchWiz for their UI. That's why almost every Android phone phone.looks different. Compare a Samsung to a Pixel and the UI is very different but most of the under the hood functionality that the user doesn't see is the same. That and software/drivers for different hardware.

I have a feeling is why most DAP makers keep uses the same snapdragon processer except possibly Sony. They don't have to touch that code compared to the DX300 except possible small changes for 11 instead of 10. I believe someone said the DX300 will be updated to 11 at some point but I could be mistaken. It doesn't look like iBasso customized the GUI that much compared to stock Android. They focused on making the hardware shine audio wise which is better than a prettier UI :)
Keep in mind that I am using the DX300 which is still on android 9. :)

Yes, I had read that in the DX300 thread, but I have yet to see any announcements on it, nor any "official word" about it. But you are right, other than taking some few options out of settings, and adding in their own, the android version on the DX300 (and probably the DX320 also) are bone stock AFAIK.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:47 AM Post #5,042 of 10,343
To notice this preference you must have a really good headphones/iems...

After listening to:

Amp11 (ok)
Amp11mk2 (better)
AMP11mk2s (good)
Amp11 whitigir mod (top notch!)
Amp12 (good-)
Amp12 EXN (good+)
Amp12 EXN-S (top notch!)
Amp13 (good+)

I prefer without hesitation the modded boards....
Screenshot_20220708-143904_Gallery.jpg

Here is my continuation on new amp board impressions.

First the immediate list breakdown, then explanations:

**Amp11 Muse by Whitigir (top++ notch!)

**Amp12 EXN-S "prototype" (top++ notch!)
**edit= this is the silver version just before the ADA opamp finalized non-silver versions. It does have the updated "PMLCAP" caps in PSU, so was close to final version.

**step level in resolve

**Amp11 first whitigir mod (top)

** step level difference in resolve

**Amp13 (good+)
**AMP11mk2-s (good+)

*** step level in resolve

**Amp12 EXN (good+)
**Amp12 (good-)

** step up in resolve

**Amp11mk2 (ok)
**Amp11 (ok)

********end of list*******

It is important to note, that the two top boards I listed, are not readily available yet, except for the amp11Muse.

The amp12exn-s "prototype" listed this time, has an upgraded PSU section, delivering greater dynamics than the amp12exn-s that I tested earlier in quotes.
Steve's latest mod designed specifically for the DX320. I hope we hear something from the sound impressions!!!. The board goes to Singapore
This is an example of an amp12exn-s "prototype", which has the PSU section modified like mine, for greater dynamics...

So if you have a spare amp11, go with Muse mod, and If you have a spare amp12, try Nayparm new upcoming mod, still in prototype stages, so availability must be inquired, as it's final design is still expected to be different.

It is also important to note, that my testing was from "side-by-side" evaluations using two dx320 units, with a varied range of headphones (Mest Indigo, HD800M* & others),
20220730_165739.jpg
Which I did comparative testing on specific attributes.

I scored these amps, primarily according to resolve and stage accuracy levels.
I did NOT rate the amps on any type of signature, which many users have different preferences for.

This is important, because many members are under the assumption that amp13 is last upgrade to go. The reality of my testing proved otherwise. Their is still room for improvements in future amp boards.
The two latest "moded" boards are proof of higher levels to be attained, IMO.

What this means, is that almost none of members in this thread have actually heard the dx320 to it's maximum level of transparency, regardless "tonal' or "acoustical" differences of the available amp boards.
This, I believe, is the most important factor to take away from my list.

Since it would end up being an understatement, to try to elaborate on the sonic improvements of the top two modded boards, the best way for me to describe, has always been thru comparison.
I will note the differences in comparison to stock dx320 boards.

What is interesting about the two new mod boards, is how similar they ended up, being two different models (amp11&12).
Even the output level is less than a half click from each other(!).
What this means is that the amp11muse mod has objectively attained the output level of an amp12.

So, in comparison to both stock dx320 boards, the new designs differ noticably in:

*More dynamics
*More resolving
*More musical as a result of the increased clarity and palpableness.
**Both have equal or better soundstage depth than amp13(!).
**Both have better width and instrument layering.

To have a noticably increased improvement, in these aspects, with even some less than "top-tier" headphones, proves the dx320 can attain a level of superiority that has none has heard yet.
It places the dx320 easily in the top pinnacle of DAPs.

I cannot recommend these new mods highly enough.

Lastly, I will comment on the differences between these two:

1-Amp11Muse by whitigir = slight more mids density/presence and depth.
2-amp12exn-s"prototype" = slight more neutral cleaner presentation.
Dynamics were both same, yet noticably above any other amp boards.
Resolve is same but noticably higher than all other boards.

My personal opinion is that this is true pinnacle performance and at a level at least matching, or above what I remember from my experience with other daps such as dx300Max & Cayin N8ii.

IMHO, there is more improvements to be attained.

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 3:27 AM Post #5,043 of 10,343
Here is my continuation on new amp board impressions.

First the immediate list breakdown, then explanations:

**Amp12 EXN-S "prototype" (top++ notch!)

**Amp11 Muse by Whitigir (top++ notch!)

**step level in resolve

**Amp11 first whitigir mod (top)

** step level difference in resolve

**Amp13 (good+)
**AMP11mk2-s (good+)

*** step level in resolve

**Amp12 EXN (good+)
**Amp12 (good-)

** step up in resolve

**Amp11mk2 (ok)
**Amp11 (ok)

********end of list*******

It is important to note, that the two top boards I listed, are not readily available yet, except for the amp11Muse.

The amp12exn-s "prototype" listed this time, has an upgraded PSU section, delivering greater dynamics than the amp12exn-s that I tested earlier in quotes.

This is an example of an amp12exn-s "prototype", which has the PSU section modified like mine, for greater dynamics...

So if you have a spare amp11, go with Muse mod, and If you have a spare amp12, try Nayparm new upcoming mod, still in prototype stages, so availability must be inquired, as it's final design is still expected to be different.

It is also important to note, that my testing was from "side-by-side" evaluations using two dx320 units, with a varied range of headphones (Mest Indigo, HD800M* & others),
20220730_165739.jpg
Which I did comparative testing on specific attributes.

I scored these amps, primarily according to resolve and stage accuracy levels.
I did NOT rate the amps on any type of signature, which many users have different preferences for.

This is important, because many members are under the assumption that amp13 is best way to go. The reality of my testing proved otherwise.
Only the two latest moded boards are most superior to all the rest.

What this means, is that almost none of members in this thread have actually heard the dx320 to it's maximum level of transparency, regardless "tonal' or "acoustical" differences of the available amp boards.
This, I believe, is the most important factor to take away from my list.

Since it would end up being an understatement, to try to elaborate on the sonic improvements of the top two modded boards, the best way for me to describe, has always been thru comparison.
I will note the differences in comparison to stock dx320 boards.

What is interesting about the two new mod boards, is how similar they ended up, being two different models (amp11&12).
Even the output level is less than a half click from each other(!).
What this means is that the amp11muse mod has objectively attained the output level of an amp12.

So, in comparison to both stock dx320 boards, the new designs differ noticably in:

*More dynamics
*More resolving
*More musical as a result of the increased clarity and palpableness.
**Both have equal or better soundstage depth than amp13(!).
**Both have better width and instrument layering.

To have a noticably increased improvement, in these aspects, with even some less than "top-tier" headphones, proves the dx320 can attain a level of superiority that has none has heard yet.
It places the dx320 easily in the top pinnacle of DAPs.

I cannot recommend these new mods highly enough.

Lastly, I will comment on the differences between these two:

1-Amp11Muse by whitigir = slight more mids density/presence and depth.
2-amp12exn-s"prototype" = slight more neutral cleaner presentation.
Dynamics were both same, yet noticably above any other amp boards.
Resolve is same but noticably higher than all other boards.

My personal opinion is that this is true pinnacle and at a level above what I remember from my experience with other daps such as dx300Max & Cayin N8ii.

IMHO, You guys playing with amp13 don't know what your missing.
I am also of the opinion that the amp13 cannot keep up with Steven's new amp12. I'm really curious how adding the ADA op amps will make itself felt. Steven texted me he wants to start trying it next week and testing it. But I think it will be awesome!!! I will only buy an Amp13 if there is a mod by Steven at some point. He told me that the ADA op amps also work for the amp 13. I'm curious what the next few months will bring. In any case, I like the sound of the latest firmware better than the previous one with amp 11.2 s. Even if it's not 100% my taste yet. But it's very good. Curious how the two Amp12s sound and how big the difference between them is.

Jul 31, 2022 at 4:04 AM Post #5,044 of 10,343
I am also of the opinion that the amp13 cannot keep up with Steven's new amp12. I'm really curious how adding the ADA op amps will make itself felt. Steven texted me he wants to start trying it next week and testing it. But I think it will be awesome!!! I will only buy an Amp13 if there is a mod by Steven at some point. He told me that the ADA op amps also work for the amp 13. I'm curious what the next few months will bring. In any case, I like the sound of the latest firmware better than the previous one with amp 11.2 s. Even if it's not 100% my taste yet. But it's very good. Curious how the two Amp12s sound and how big the difference between them is.
So, I am assuming that the op amps could/would replace current op amps in Amp13, rather than added to the mix? (I know, kind of a silly question, but one never knows) Would this require tweaking of the bias?

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #5,045 of 10,343
So, I am assuming that the op amps could/would replace current op amps in Amp13, rather than added to the mix? (I know, kind of a silly question, but one never knows) Would this require tweaking of the bias?
I honestly have no idea what Steve intends to do with the Amp 13. In any case, he mentioned that the op amps would also work for the AMP 13 amp. At amp 12 they are exchanged.

Jul 31, 2022 at 9:43 AM Post #5,046 of 10,343
Most of Ibasso Modules have different op amps for each of the different module. With the ID ground away…..it is hell to play with

Jul 31, 2022 at 1:59 PM Post #5,047 of 10,343
Where are the hot takes of people liking the dx300 more than the dx320?

I refuse to believe it's this one-sidedly positive. O.o;
I have a friend who prefers the dx300 "thicker" signature timbre, and uses it with his "aroma jewel" IEMs, and Whitigir amp11EXmod (before Muse). Great synergy due to the large soundstage & detailing of the IEMs, coupled with the extra performance & tonality of the amp11EX.

Most of Ibasso Modules have different op amps for each of the different module. With the ID ground away…..it is hell to play with
Yes, what members need to realize is that the circuits are complex and not straightforward opamp circuits.
Ibasso implementation is proprietary super class A, so there are manipulations of how the opamps are implemented. The point being that it is not easy to even find suitable upgrade modules within proper circuit parameters that work.

So Whitigir's usage of the Muse opamp, and Nayparm's future usage of the ADA opamps, is like a "proof of concept", of higher levels to be attained 👍

The huge analog battery reserve of the dx300&320 can now be taken advantage of.
I'm shure future ibasso amp boards will also come and give this unit a long lifespan.
Dx320 can only get better and better....

Last edited:
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:13 PM Post #5,048 of 10,343
I h
I have a friend who prefers the dx300 "thicker" signature timbre, and uses it with his "aroma jewel" IEMs, and Whitigir amp11EXmod (before Muse). Great synergy due to the large soundstage & detailing of the IEMs, coupled with the extra performance & tonality of the amp11EX.

Yes, what members need to realize is that the circuits are complex and not straightforward opamp circuits.
Ibasso implementation is proprietary super class A, so there are manipulations of how the opamps are implemented. The point being that it is not easy to even find suitable upgrade modules within proper circuit parameters that work.

So Whitigir's usage of the Muse opamp, and Nayparm's future usage of the ADA opamps, is a huge find and milestone. 👍

The huge analog battery reserve of the dx300&320 can now be taken advantage of.
I'm shure future ibasso amp boards will also come and give this unit a long lifespan.
Dx320 can only get better and better....

I honestly think it's a shame if iBasso doesn't update the DX240 and DX300 to Android 11. Even the new DX170 has it.

Jul 31, 2022 at 2:16 PM Post #5,049 of 10,343
I h

I honestly think it's a shame if iBasso doesn't update the DX240 and DX300 to Android 11. Even the new DX170 has it.
I do not have a date but both are being worked on.

iBasso Stay updated on iBasso at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://www.ibasso.com/ paul@ibasso.com
Jul 31, 2022 at 2:37 PM Post #5,050 of 10,343
Jul 31, 2022 at 6:03 PM Post #5,051 of 10,343
Dx320 MAX soon ? ? :wink:

Jul 31, 2022 at 8:20 PM Post #5,054 of 10,343
Jul 31, 2022 at 8:55 PM Post #5,055 of 10,343
Ah, I thought had seen you mention that option before so that makes more sense. One has to wonder how many Android 11 settings were even tested or messed with by iBasso. It's an Android setting so I imagine it just came with it because of Android 11. I just updated to 13 Beta on my Pixel and it's no longer an option but it does it by default.

Most Android smartphone makers like to put their unique GUI on there but most, but not all changes are cosmetic. Samsung uses what they call TouchWiz for their UI. That's why almost every Android phone phone.looks different. Compare a Samsung to a Pixel and the UI is very different but most of the under the hood functionality that the user doesn't see is the same. That and software/drivers for different hardware.

I have a feeling is why most DAP makers keep uses the same snapdragon processer except possibly Sony. They don't have to touch that code compared to the DX300 except possible small changes for 11 instead of 10. I believe someone said the DX300 will be updated to 11 at some point but I could be mistaken. It doesn't look like iBasso customized the GUI that much compared to stock Android. They focused on making the hardware shine audio wise which is better than a prettier UI :)
tbh at totl prices, i expect hardware to already be good. GUI is even more important, at least to me

Users who are viewing this thread

Back