DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 23, 2022 at 9:13 AM Post #3,227 of 10,348
How's Noire and Rognir on the DX320?
I would say that DX320 with stock amp suits Noire much better than Rognir.
Noire are V-shaped and with iBasso product it mids are brought into the sight to the more reference and enjoyable level.
Also those V-shape compensate DX320 dip between mid-bass and sub-bass so you don’t have a feeling that you are loosing something here.
And as Noire sound could be too thin DX320 thick notes compensate it very well.
And with more provided layering I have a feeling that I can extract more info from the Noire than when using SP2K.
My only rather small concern that some part of upper highs could strangle appear in the focus sometimes, but that’s really minor.
Overall I can recommend DX320 for the Noire.

When using with Rognir you get very large and holographic soundstage with quite precise positioning. Also more forward upper highs make Rognir shine better in highs as Rognir are a bit dark phones overall.
But this darkness and thick notes do result in small clarity loss in mids and below.
And the biggest dissatisfaction comes with bass not hitting hard and loud enough as I have described above.
So I can’t recommend DX320 with stock amp for Rognir at least for now - maybe that would change during burn-in or I’ll get better results with AMP 13.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:18 AM Post #3,228 of 10,348
And my first run ended on 0% digital and 75% analog battery.
Primarily using Tidal with Traillii, Noire, Rognir on high gain with up to half of volume set.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:20 AM Post #3,229 of 10,348
And my first run ended on 0% digital and 75% analog battery.
Primarily using Tidal with Traillii, Noire, Rognir on high gain with up to half of volume set.
That makes sense when using a lot of streaming. I wouldn't run the battery to zero though.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:22 AM Post #3,230 of 10,348
Rigatio can you explain to me the biggest difference in sound between amp11mkii vs stock amp12 ??

As i am a balanced believer i won't buy amp13 until it's balanced.
But u mean on the 320? And stock 11.2s then? Haven't heard the original 12 with 320, only it's moded version EXN.
On the dx300, is exactly what @German Expat in Vietnam posted. 12 more bass rumble, sweeter hights, higher mids pulled back a bit.
I now can't imagine going back to either tbh. Tubes are something else and there is no comparison in staging and musicality unless youre a sharper note fan.

Jun 23, 2022 at 9:52 AM Post #3,231 of 10,348
But u mean on the 320? And stock 11.2s then? Haven't heard the original 12 with 320, only it's moded version EXN.
On the dx300, is exactly what @German Expat in Vietnam posted. 12 more bass rumble, sweeter hights, higher mids pulled back a bit.
I now can't imagine going back to either tbh. Tubes are something else and there is no comparison in staging and musicality unless youre a sharper note fan.
I listened to the amp 12 fresh out of the box for maybe 1 hour with the DX 320. Since he is supposed to go to NP Audio. I just wanted to check if the new amp 12 works before I send it out. So the bass hit harder, the mids weren't quite as much in the foreground but really only a little taken back compared to amp 11.2 s. But it had more power in the highs, which also seemed slightly extended. Overall very well reminded me of my amp 12 W. I liked it.

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:01 AM Post #3,233 of 10,348
Thinking of going for the AMP13 after all the stellar reviews, but all my good cables are 4.4 balanced, what would you suggest, getting new 4.4 cables or an adapter? If an adapter what would you suggest?

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:12 AM Post #3,235 of 10,348
Thinking of going for the AMP13 after all the stellar reviews, but all my good cables are 4.4 balanced, what would you suggest, getting new 4.4 cables or an adapter? If an adapter what would you suggest?
This problem i have too. I have order now the Thieaudio Oceania with changable plugs. But maybe i order too from Pentaconn Adapter cable 4.4mm to 3.5 mm. I think the Pentaconn is a very god Adapter cable.But very Expensive :angry:

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #3,236 of 10,348
Amp 12 stock on dx320

Jun 23, 2022 at 10:26 AM Post #3,237 of 10,348
Found a 4.4mm balanced to 3.5 single ended, from the same seller. Is it allowed to link to it?

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:03 AM Post #3,238 of 10,348
@RIGATIO I have to disagree with you for the first time in this thread. The updated firmware has removed the ROHM chip and replaced it with an ESS chip. This is a very strong V shaped signature with sucked out midrange and vocals. I have to say it has fixed the one weakness I detected, in that the original tuning lacked the crispness, air and space between instruments in the treble region that I like with ESS chips. That isn’t an issue anymore but overall I prefer the more balanced tuning of the original firmware. Soundstage has also taken a backward step.

My gut tells me the midrange was pulled back as tubes tend to be strong in this region. I would prefer to see a separate filter/tuning option for AMP13 vs compromises for the solid state option.

I don't hear any AKM dna in this new tuning and it is now a very different DAP compared to what I desired in the initial purchase decision.
I fully agree here. I updated to the latest firmware and my Monarch MK2 sounded awful— too much upper mids and a pushed back midrange. Vocals also sounded thin, harsh, and just off in general. I immediately reverted to the original firmware and everything sounds good again.

I wish sound characteristics weren’t changed via firmware updates without some way to choose between the new and old sound. Hopefully someone from iBasso is reading our grievances haha.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:14 AM Post #3,239 of 10,348
I fully agree here. I updated to the latest firmware and my Monarch MK2 sounded awful— too much upper mids and a pushed back midrange. Vocals also sounded thin, harsh, and just off in general. I immediately reverted to the original firmware and everything sounds good again.

I wish sound characteristics weren’t changed via firmware updates without some way to choose between the new and old sound. Hopefully someone from iBasso is reading our grievances haha.
That's why I'm using amp13. It sounds great with everything i plug in it.

Jun 23, 2022 at 11:27 AM Post #3,240 of 10,348
I would say that DX320 with stock amp suits Noire much better than Rognir.
Noire are V-shaped and with iBasso product it mids are brought into the sight to the more reference and enjoyable level.
Also those V-shape compensate DX320 dip between mid-bass and sub-bass so you don’t have a feeling that you are loosing something here.
And as Noire sound could be too thin DX320 thick notes compensate it very well.
And with more provided layering I have a feeling that I can extract more info from the Noire than when using SP2K.
My only rather small concern that some part of upper highs could strangle appear in the focus sometimes, but that’s really minor.
Overall I can recommend DX320 for the Noire.

When using with Rognir you get very large and holographic soundstage with quite precise positioning. Also more forward upper highs make Rognir shine better in highs as Rognir are a bit dark phones overall.
But this darkness and thick notes do result in small clarity loss in mids and below.
And the biggest dissatisfaction comes with bass not hitting hard and loud enough as I have described above.
So I can’t recommend DX320 with stock amp for Rognir at least for now - maybe that would change during burn-in or I’ll get better results with AMP 13.
Are Rognir easy enough to drive adequately from DAP?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back