DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 22, 2022 at 2:55 PM Post #3,196 of 10,359
Have you checked the port_trace.txt file in the path specified? It probably has some more detailed info. I haven't used that utility before so I'm not sure if the PC downloads the firmware or the DX320.

The log file would be the first place to check. It may be best to have the firmware already downloaded from iBasso in a specified location although @RIGATIO uses that utility so he could probably explain it better and if he manually downloads the update or if he lets the utility download it. There might be a setting on where to download the firmware from in the utility.

I would think if it was already downloaded and in the correct directory that it may skip the download and just install the firmware already downloaded and extracted as the zip file from iBasso has to be unzipped. After that there is another zip file and a readme.txt file. That is the zip file that needs to be loaded. I think it has _OTA_ in the name of memory serves me correctly.
I download firmware file separately. Then unzip it to make it ready for a lokal or 660 Tool use.

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:22 PM Post #3,198 of 10,359
Thanks! After going through all the Neutron settings I can't find a setting for sound shaping. Where can this setting be found?
Instead of clicking on the radio button for dither, click on the word. It will go into the dither menu where you can enable Sound Shaping... :)

Edit: Just looked, and I'm sorry, he is calling it "Noise Shaping" (same thing)... :relaxed:

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #3,199 of 10,359
Instead of clicking on the radio button for dither, click on the word. It will go into the dither menu where you can enable Sound Shaping... :)

Edit: Just looked, and I'm sorry, he is calling it "Noise Shaping" (same thing)... :relaxed:
BTW! It is the same with Oversample. If you just enable the radio button, it will only enable it to x2. If you want more than that, click on the word "Oversample" and it will pop-up a slider to choose your multiplier.... Hope that is helpful?! :smile:

Jun 22, 2022 at 3:56 PM Post #3,201 of 10,359
Jun 22, 2022 at 4:03 PM Post #3,203 of 10,359
BTW! It is the same with Oversample. If you just enable the radio button, it will only enable it to x2. If you want more than that, click on the word "Oversample" and it will pop-up a slider to choose your multiplier.... Hope that is helpful?! :smile:
Thanks! I noticed a lot of settings with a radio button had more options of you pressed the setting/text icon and not just toggle the radio button on. For some reason I just never did that on the dither setting to see the noise shaping setting.

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:10 PM Post #3,204 of 10,359
Thanks! I noticed a lot of settings with a radio button had more options of you pressed the setting/text icon and not just toggle the radio button on. For some reason I just never did that on the dither setting to see the noise shaping setting.
LOL... It's ironic that you say that. That is probably the only setting in Neutron that I also missed in the same way for a long time. :sunglasses:

I just KNEW it had to have sound shaping somewhere, though in production software you can choose from more than one different type of sound shaping. It is rather unique to have dither, let alone sound shaping available to playback software. Actually, a lot of the functions in Neutron are normally reserved for production (rather than playback) software.

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:45 PM Post #3,206 of 10,359
I'll throw one out there that sounds amazing on the Monarchs, remaster from a 1979 recording. Lyrics are in the comments but the guitar solos where ahead of there time IMO If anything it's the best album cover you will see all day :)

Nice! Thanks for sharing!

Sounds like a mashup of Dylan, Jackson brown, and The Ramones (ultimately a good thing IMO). :) The rhythm guitar is playing all around the place.

Jun 22, 2022 at 8:58 PM Post #3,208 of 10,359
So, I bought DX320 today with 11MKIIs amp.
Before installing latest firmware battery was draining really fast even when I was just idly starring into the screen without listening to music - and update really fixed it 🙂

Of course it is not burned in but first impressions are the following:
1. It’s a clear update on the DX300 - no more compressed cymbals or overly soft notes (with sharp roll-off filter)
2. Comparing to SP2K timbre is significantly different, while also being analog and sweet sounding. Seem to have less sub-bass bump and more mid-bass. Overall bass seem to be a bit less controlled. SP2K sounds more clear but a tad less engaging (due to mid bass and more forward highs on DX320).
What’s interesting - DX320 seem to be noticeably more layered one, sometimes causing effects of even being overdetailed and artificial due to it.
ROHM mids and vocals are _very_ pleasant ones.
Looking forward to how DX320 would evolve during burn-in.

Good to see the DX320 being compared to some excellent DAP’s.

With the android digital filter in the Sharp Roll-off setting the DX320 bass is too controlled. Could it be the slow roll-off was used in your comparison?

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:27 AM Post #3,209 of 10,359
Good to see the DX320 being compared to some excellent DAP’s.

With the android digital filter in the Sharp Roll-off setting the DX320 bass is too controlled. Could it be the slow roll-off was used in your comparison?
No, I have used a sharp roll-off filter on DX320 also - and I won’t mind having something like “Ultra-sharp roll-off minimum phase hybrid” filter.

I’ve listened to DX320 several hours yesterday comparing it to other DAPs.
As for now I’ve still put SP2K with its great timber, bass, dynamic range and M17 with its great dynamics and micro details above DX320.

My main complaints to the sound of DX320 with amp 11MkIIs are the following:
1. The bass is too soft and not tight enough - you are just not hit that hard and loud when the track demand having hard edges transition part compared to other DAPs. That removes some sort of fun and culmination in all bass-related transients
2. Notes are still somewhat thick that removes some clarity and makes sound a little bit dark
3. Lower highs are a bit too laid back and muted while upper highs are too forward - that’s create some artificial disconnection feeling

We’ll be doing full cycle of burn-in and listen to AMP13 once it arrives.

Jun 23, 2022 at 12:54 AM Post #3,210 of 10,359
@RIGATIO I have to disagree with you for the first time in this thread. The updated firmware has removed the ROHM chip and replaced it with an ESS chip. This is a very strong V shaped signature with sucked out midrange and vocals. I have to say it has fixed the one weakness I detected, in that the original tuning lacked the crispness, air and space between instruments in the treble region that I like with ESS chips. That isn’t an issue anymore but overall I prefer the more balanced tuning of the original firmware. Soundstage has also taken a backward step.

My gut tells me the midrange was pulled back as tubes tend to be strong in this region. I would prefer to see a separate filter/tuning option for AMP13 vs compromises for the solid state option.

I don't hear any AKM dna in this new tuning and it is now a very different DAP compared to what I desired in the initial purchase decision.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back