DX320 ROHM dac chips, Android 11, AMP11MK2s. *******NEW FW: 2.07*******
Jun 22, 2022 at 3:41 AM Post #3,181 of 10,348
Will write some essay about how great tuned the dx323 is.
With the dx323 i discovered my beloved old good Beyers Xelento again. I love their V shaped signature and a great fun factor. I bought them 4 years ago and loved them from the first notes with my Pioneer xdp-300r. But they were slightly sharp with it. Then i purchased dx311.3 and it wasnt the best pairing due to the more aggressive higher mids/lower trebles (Xelentos have agile bass and very smooth mids but they have a significant peeks around 5 and 8k so it doubled the piercing effect).
To tame them down, i purchased amp12 which helped a lot but they still didnt sing as i really wanted them to, because the amp12 was slightly thick in microdetail dynamics. They sounded bit greyish with this combo.
Then i tried some daps from AK, like sp1k, sp1kM, sp2kT, Kann Alpha, sr25. They sounded the best with the sp1k but quite narrow (! how, they are very wide sounding iems) and still piercing at times. On the sp1kM i couldnt listen to them through balanced- very piercing hights, so only SE was in play and it was quite good, until i discovered that the filter i used with them was a bug. Other filters were quite piercing in hights but more lower to mid treble which was more bearable for me than higher mids peeks. But this warmish filter was a bug!
The Shanling m9 was bit bland and distant so they lost their fun factor completely.
And now, after 4 years, i finally know what they are capable of. I alread went through the most annoying songs, that were unlistenable on other daps and im actually amazed.
All those moments that were sharp and piercing before became engaging actually. They arent sharp, they dont cut my ear, they are delightfully crunchy. It's like eating a crunchy, chocolate waffle hah!
Im not even mentioning Monarchs 2, they are a poetry.
Thanx:)
You probably have a too much of a shallow fit if you are using stock tips. The xelentos are mostly smooth, warm and “romantic” kind of sound with elevated massive bass with good seal. Try them with final e tips.

Jun 22, 2022 at 4:22 AM Post #3,182 of 10,348
20220622_162024.jpg

Received mine. Fomo is real.

Quick question there are 2 3.5 output there. Which one is the low and which one is high output?

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 9:10 AM Post #3,184 of 10,348
Just wanted to report back in that with the latest firmware update 2.02.834, my battery life improved significantly and the sound is the same if not better than the OG firmware. Also, setting 'Screen lock' to None has made my 'double tap to wake' more reliable. I was contemplating between the Shanling M7 and dx320, super glad I went with the dx320, the sound is phenomenal!

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:42 AM Post #3,187 of 10,348
You like it more than 12EXN??
I personally like it more.
Its completely different. It has typical tube sound and compared to any other solid state amps is like apples and oranges.
I thought that the EXN was analog sounding but when switching to the 13, the EXN has sharp edges to the notes (very good and precise but the difference is quite significant).
13 is still very detailed etc. but the notes are softer, with a tube bloom to them. Its the widest sounding too.
And very musical, the music is engaging but not offensive and has a liquid quality, it flows.
You need to check for yourself, if you like this kind of sound.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #3,188 of 10,348
I personally like it more.
Its completely different. It has typical tube sound and compared to any other solid state amps is like apples and oranges.
I thought that the EXN was analog sounding but when switching to the 13, the EXN has sharp edges to the notes (very good and precise but the difference is quite significant).
13 is still very detailed etc. but the notes are softer, with a tube bloom to them. Its the widest sounding too.
And very musical, the music is engaging but not offensive and has a liquid quality, it flows.
You need to check for yourself, if you like this kind of sound.
Well, as it sounds, I could have saved buying a new amp 12. And shipping to Steven. It's not all cheap either. My amp 13 should be here at the end of the month. Am curious.

Jun 22, 2022 at 11:53 AM Post #3,189 of 10,348

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 1:01 PM Post #3,190 of 10,348
So, I bought DX320 today with 11MKIIs amp.
Before installing latest firmware battery was draining really fast even when I was just idly starring into the screen without listening to music - and update really fixed it 🙂

Of course it is not burned in but first impressions are the following:
1. It’s a clear update on the DX300 - no more compressed cymbals or overly soft notes (with sharp roll-off filter)
2. Comparing to SP2K timbre is significantly different, while also being analog and sweet sounding. Seem to have less sub-bass bump and more mid-bass. Overall bass seem to be a bit less controlled. SP2K sounds more clear but a tad less engaging (due to mid bass and more forward highs on DX320).
What’s interesting - DX320 seem to be noticeably more layered one, sometimes causing effects of even being overdetailed and artificial due to it.
ROHM mids and vocals are _very_ pleasant ones.
Looking forward to how DX320 would evolve during burn-in.

Jun 22, 2022 at 1:33 PM Post #3,191 of 10,348
Well, as it sounds, I could have saved buying a new amp 12. And shipping to Steven. It's not all cheap either. My amp 13 should be here at the end of the month. Am curious.
You will like how analog it makes things sound yet retaining fidelity/clarity. Plus, it seems to retain the quantity of bass from 11.2 while also somehow adding the texture of 12 (unmodded). This is my take on it.

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:29 PM Post #3,192 of 10,348
20220622_162024.jpg
Received mine. Fomo is real.

Quick question there are 2 3.5 output there. Which one is the low and which one is high output?
Just noticed how the ribbon cable looks bent than nine but if it's working then that's all that matters. When going back and looking at a pic of my AMP13 card, it also has a slight bending where yours does although not quite as much. I hope these ribbon cables don't become an issue. Have worked on way to many laptops to ever really trust ribbon cables granted they are needed.

Attachments

• PXL_20220615_031754761.jpg
    PXL_20220615_031754761.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Jun 22, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #3,193 of 10,348
Tried to install new Firmware with 660 Tool and became this:

Any Ideas?
I wanted to do a Flat install because charging time is unacceptable. It is between 5-6h......
Have you checked the port_trace.txt file in the path specified? It probably has some more detailed info. I haven't used that utility before so I'm not sure if the PC downloads the firmware or the DX320.

The log file would be the first place to check. It may be best to have the firmware already downloaded from iBasso in a specified location although @RIGATIO uses that utility so he could probably explain it better and if he manually downloads the update or if he lets the utility download it. There might be a setting on where to download the firmware from in the utility.

I would think if it was already downloaded and in the correct directory that it may skip the download and just install the firmware already downloaded and extracted as the zip file from iBasso has to be unzipped. After that there is another zip file and a readme.txt file. That is the zip file that needs to be loaded. I think it has _OTA_ in the name of memory serves me correctly.

Last edited:
Jun 22, 2022 at 2:53 PM Post #3,194 of 10,348
Excellent pair up synergy. I reviewed Advar a month ago, and with a number of DAPs the mids were slightly pulled back, bringing sub-bass and treble more forward and in some cases even making lower treble of Advar a bit too hot. With DX323 + Advar, the sound signature is W-shaped, with mids/vocals really shining in this pair up and treble sounding quite natural, very deep sub-bass rumble as well. BUT, you absolutely must use Maximized output, these single DD drivers need both higher current/voltage to shine. You can literally hear how soundstage shrinks when connecting to low noise (lower voltage) output.

1655860855764.png
Great review! You couldn't be more correct about how they ADVAR's can be picky about ear tips. Personally the large final E series worked best for me but I probably tried 10 different tips as SpinFit is almost always the best but for some reason the e series gives me the best deal. I e never personally been a fan of foam tips but that's just a personal preference.

Jun 22, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #3,195 of 10,348
Great review! You couldn't be more correct about how they ADVAR's can be picky about ear tips. Personally the large final E series worked best for me but I probably tried 10 different tips as SpinFit is almost always the best but for some reason the e series gives me the best deal. I e never personally been a fan of foam tips but that's just a personal preference.
Final Type E are the "fix-all" in tips... :) I have a few IEMs that those are the ONLY ones to get a good seal AND a good sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back